TCCoA Forums banner

tire blown...new car

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  JoeyICU 
#1 ·
ok....my tire blew last night.....this car has been on the road for less then a month....it had massive fix a flat in it.....witch spewed out a good bit....is there any sorta law the former owner has broken....he also had the car inspected and such.....so idk how that went......but i thought theyd catch stuff like that.......they caught the warped rotors........why not the fix a flat tire......any sorta insight would be helpful....this guys also a cop.....

#2 ·
Are you looking for a law that makes Fix-A-Flat illegal? I don't think there is such a thing, but in the future....? ........? .........? you never know.

While they caught the warped rotors, they are required to take the wheels off and inspect the brakes, they are not required to take the tires off of the rim though.

Also, him being a cop and selling the car, I can imagine that he may have had an easier time getting it through inspection without a hassle than you or I would have.

You can't beat connections!

#3 ·
well when a place inspected my dads car they caught fix a flat...im more wondering about a law that requires him to at least tell me a tire has fix a flate.....b/c it was also vibrating down the highway......i thought it was my DS but turns out it was the tire....and i would guess an inspection site would have checked...but yeah maybe he had "connections"....im going to get a hold of him tho and see if hes a nice guy or a guy that will completly ignore what happened

#4 ·
what did the inspection place say about the fix-a-flat on your dad's car? Did they make him change the tire?

He probably SHOULD have told you about the fix-a-flat, but I am not sure he is REQUIRED to. Did you test drive the car before you bought it, or did the vibration develop later?

In this liability-driven world, I wouldn't be surprised to see some kind of action develop against fix-a-flat.

#5 ·
i did drive and and i didnt notice a vibration...it developed afterwards......the minispare was used some....b/c i noticed some wear on it.....so its not like he didnt know....he said the tires were brand new....i wouldnt exactly call a fix a flat tire new at all......so ill just see how hes gonna react to the tire blowout

#6 ·
and for my dads tires.....no.....the car place we bought it from did....but they made them change it out

#9 ·
yeah justin good call im 15 and im driving a bird....and i was figuring SINCE THE INSPECTION STATION HAS CAUGHT FIX A FLAT IN TIRES BEFORE that there may be a law resricting the use of it in cars that are changing hands....im also not yelling i just want you to see my reasoning...i to can think of worse things then a blowout....only problem is whe you dont have alot of money and your 145 dollar suposedly brand new tire blows and your looking to replace it.....youll think about your options before you sned 145 dollars on a tire....and i was only asking there no harm in that.....and i guess since your posting like that you took offense to our little chatroom were i thought you didnt have an MN12

#10 ·
JustinH said:
Let me guess, you are like 15 years old right?

Refer to your bill of sale, it probably says "As-Is" and thats all that you need to know.

Exactly. Reason #1 not to sell a car to a kid. Anything at all that goes wrong and they come whinning back saying it is your responsibility to fix the problem.

Cars from private owners are sold AS IS. Thinking otherwise is plain stupid. Further, an MD safety inspection is just that. They are going to make sure it is safe to drive according to -state- specs and road worthy. If the tires hold air, have normal tread, and are in good shape, then they are safe by inspection standards.

And to answer your question, there are no laws prohibiting the use of fix-a-flat. :rolleyes:

#11 · (Edited)
an inch long sidewall punture is not a safe tire......and.....i was just curious b/c a shop did make the dealer were my dad bought his maxima replace a fix a flat tire....and the hole was big enough......if an inspection officer saw it he would probably make the guy replace the tire....ill take a pic if you want to.....youd understand.......and i didnt even talk to the guy at all

#12 ·
It's your own fault. Have a car inspected by your mechanic prior to purchase. He would have caught that, and you could have walked away or lowered your offering price accordingly.

Inspection? It doesn't matter. If it happened the day after he got his sticker, he could have drove around on it for a year and not worried about the inspector failing it.

Up here a car w/ valid inspection for 6 months is $500 no matter what condition it's in. The vehicle doesn't have to be safe to still have a valid inspection.

#13 ·
also there is NO way fix-a-flat fixed an inch long puncture in the sidewall. Most likely it was a tiny hole that he fixed, maybe even a different one.

What were you doing when the time blew? Did you hit anything?

#14 ·
nope...car went over a bump.....on a strait road.....it was almost an inch yes..about .8th of an inch.....and i didnt hit anything i was driving down the road

#15 ·
Joey, I agree with you, you got shafted on that tire. Rightly so, the guy should have told you about it before he sold you the car. Unfortunately, the car doesnt have a warranty, so it'd be nearly impossible to get anything done. Especially when the guy is a cop. I'd cut my losses now, and just save yourself the time and aggrivation. Start planning a trip for your Jmod. :D

#16 ·
*begins gather parts and supplies for the pa meet j mod part 2....*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.