Drag Alternatives? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Morgan.Rock
Drag Alternatives?

So, does anyone here get onto any tracks other than drag strips? I'm a fan of autocrossing, myself, with potential aims towards making my tbird a cheap road course car.

It seems a bit of a waste simply to drag our birds, since they have so many pluses that make them better-suited to cornering and large tracks than our equine brethren... (the better Cg being a big one... .31 vs .38+)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to 1989superchicken Send a message via MSN to 1989superchicken
i would love to get on a real road course ,but there are none close to me.
but i do autocross alot in salina,ks
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 02:06 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan.Rock View Post
So, does anyone here get onto any tracks other than drag strips? I'm a fan of autocrossing, myself, with potential aims towards making my tbird a cheap road course car.

It seems a bit of a waste simply to drag our birds, since they have so many pluses that make them better-suited to cornering and large tracks than our equine brethren... (the better Cg being a big one... .31 vs .38+)
I really wouldn't call it a waste......choose to do what fits in your budget, be it a road coarse or a straight line.

I chose the straight line stuff, cause thats what I like to build and race.....that, and everyone else and their brother builds mustangs and camaros for this stuff....so why not be different.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

For me

Hello

I went another direction. Well a circle.

I race on a 1/2mile asphalt oval.

BUT MANY MANY Mods required!!

Paul

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 05:29 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
an expensive alternative is look up scca or speedventures. asically what they allow you to do is take any car you want and go around your local road track all day or even 2 days it does get a tad pricey around 150 a day

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Resident drifter

no one mentioned drifting...so i did. Its probably the cheapest way you can go other than autocross... and the most fun, at least in my opinion
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidebird91 View Post
no one mentioned drifting...so i did. Its probably the cheapest way you can go other than autocross... and the most fun, at least in my opinion
I would like to try it in a bird......my truck is fun though!

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

drifting looks fun , i can't see burning up brand new tires in 15 minutes
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-09-2009, 12:34 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995 cougar xr7 View Post
drifting looks fun , i can't see burning up brand new tires in 15 minutes
i don't really think you will wear through a whole set of tires in 15 minutes.....but then again, I could be wrong!

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:17 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989superchicken View Post
i would love to get on a real road course ,but there are none close to me.
but i do autocross alot in salina,ks
Uhh... What, do you spend your whole day in your parents basement playing World of Warcraft or something??? What about Heartland park?? You've lived in this area longer than I've been alive and you don't know about it???

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=He...30469&t=h&z=10

A little over an hour away....

Where as Selina is an hour and 45 minutes away.....

Powered by:
Megasquirt EMS, Vortech Superchargers, Renegade Racing, Gator1980Transmission, Innovative Motorsports, Devil's Own, Magnaflow, Eibach, KYB, Kooks
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to 1989superchicken Send a message via MSN to 1989superchicken
no i don't spend all my time playin wow.
I didn't know they road course.
plus it's going to be way to expensive.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:01 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
I really wouldn't call it a waste......choose to do what fits in your budget, be it a road coarse or a straight line.
I chose the straight line stuff, cause thats what I like to build and race.....that, and everyone else and their brother builds mustangs and camaros for this stuff....so why not be different.
I agree on the choice and budget part, road racing is VERY expensive. drag racing is relatively inexpensive. and common now no bashing on stangs haha
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:12 PM
PostSlut

well lets break it down to the 2 types and pricing....both have expensive tires, both have expensive suspension, both can use more fuel, engine mods are to be expected on both(not needed though)....paying the way to do both can be expensive either way....depends on what event you do...

bottom line, either will cost you money.....how fast you wanna go, how much you wanna spend!

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
well lets break it down to the 2 types and pricing....both have expensive tires, both have expensive suspension, both can use more fuel, engine mods are to be expected on both(not needed though)....paying the way to do both can be expensive either way....depends on what event you do...

bottom line, either will cost you money.....how fast you wanna go, how much you wanna spend!
well if you think about it this way no. i go drag racing once a month and its $20 to race. if you go road racing its going to be upwards of $150 for the day. if you go drag racing, if your car doesnt break, your only REAL cost is fuel. if you go road racing, your gona go through a set of tires (roughly $700), a set of brake pads (roughly $100) plus the cost of getting in. at the drag strip (at least where i race) theres a long strip so you dont have to slam on your brakes thus no brakes, no tires, no $150 fee not to mention fuel.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 02:40 PM
PostSlut

nevermind..

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:54 PM
2nd Gear Poster

not trying to offend anybody here.. just throwing in my 2cents in.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Well, one difference that few have mentioned is that there is a local drag strip almost everywhere. Might not be big and fancy, but its there. MOST of them have some kind of "fun drag" night, or a test and tune, or a challenge night... something where you can run what you brung, be it a full blown pro stock camaro, or your parents Taurus.

On the other hand, an autocross event can be harder to find, and further to drive to. And a road race course most folks would have to drive across a state to get to. Once you got to it, your car would have to pass inspection for its event. depending on your class, you might get by with a good set of performance street tires, but it'd still wear them down some. same with brakes. If you had to have racing tires, then the expense goes up yet again.

For the record, I'd LOVE to get the bird out on a true road course and cut loose. But I'm fairly certain that neither Heartland Park (Topeka) nor the course in Tulsa would just let me drive up, pay a fee, and head out on the track without some more safety mods (roll bar, harness, etc.)

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 04:44 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
For the record, I'd LOVE to get the bird out on a true road course and cut loose. But I'm fairly certain that neither Heartland Park (Topeka) nor the course in Tulsa would just let me drive up, pay a fee, and head out on the track without some more safety mods (roll bar, harness, etc.)
over here in cali theres the streets of willow that will let you run what you brung but its upwards of $100 to run for a day and the weekend is around $200 i think
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

For Me

Hello

It costs me $35.00 per week to race up here. Weather permitting lol!

That is after I Modded my car. Role cage, Fuel cell, Racing seat & Belts.
Stock type Engine 351W + 2bbl, Auto trany, 3.90 open rear for Ford.

tires mostly last the entire season, About $90.00 each.

This is a Full contact sport. Not Boring, 25laps of swaping paint.
After a 8 lap heat race.

Have Fun, Any way YOU like!

Paul

Paul [email protected]
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Actually reading the 2009 rules in the Grand Touring Class, we might get away with no modification, the only safety one they might require is a fuel cell.

Really the only thing I'd expect SCCA to what you to have is a license (one of theirs), because looks like they can find you a class.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:41 AM

and you dont have to worry much about crashing and craking up your car with drag racing
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:47 AM

i know the next post will be somthing like: well if you do it right you dont have to worry about it or somthing dumb like that, with that being said im gonna buy a welder and some body work stuff and try my hand at road and if i can find it rally

we do some time attack stuff here thats fun but i havent gotten around to doing it in the 5-speed
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

And Drag racers never smack the wall, pewk a rearend.

Road courses are just as dangerous as rush hour traffic.

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
93 5.0 Tbird
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
3rd Gear Poster

If you really want to go road racing, you need to hook up with one of the sanctioning bodies, build a car that fits one of their classes, go to however many driving schools your chosen body requires and earn your novice license.

But, if you want track time, testing yourself against the clock, many clubs (either local chapters of the sanctioning bodies or marque specific clubs) have track days and time trials. You don't have to be a member of the club to participate since they are looking for participants to contribute to the track rental. Many time trials have street classes that may require, at most, a helmet and 4-5 point harness.

Check around with the local SCCA, Porsche, BMW or other clubs to see when and if they are having track days and if they let non-members participate. Usually instructors are available to ride along at teach you the line.

For instance, the Northeast Corvair Council and the Southeast Corvair Council are having time trials at Roebling Road in Bloomingdale, GA on Sunday July 12. They almost had to cancel their last meet because they didn't have enough participants to pay the bill and were in danger of losing their deposit. This time, they are offering High-speed open-track sessions in the morning and individual timed laps in the afternoon for $159 per driver. To attract new participants, there is a $99 special offer for novices.

The are also offering a controlled-speed low-cost "Taste of the Track" program available for first-timers at $29 per driver where you follow the pace car for a few laps.

If you compete in time trials you are competing within your class. The NECC classes are:
1. Water Pumper (A general class for all non-Corvairs)
2. Street Stock Corvair (Minor updates allowed).
3. Improved Stock Corvair (Street-legal, with major mods).
4. Street Modified Corvair (Race-prepared, street-legal).
5. Competition Corvair (Race-prepared, not street-legal).
6. Specialty-1 Corvair (Corvairs with non-Corvair engines).
7. Specialty-2 Corvair (Corvair engines in non-Corvair bodies).
8. Specialty-3 Corvair (Extreme Engineering)
so a MN-12 would be competing against anything from a Civic to a full bore Corvette

This is just a sample. Times are hard and clubs are looking for warm bodies and are willing to deal. Check around.

Cogito Ergo ZOOM
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
And Drag racers never smack the wall, pewk a rearend.

Road courses are just as dangerous as rush hour traffic.
i have seen alot of racing and and most of the wrecks i have seen are road and drift

if you can have a purpose bult race car go for it i dont have a problem with it but im not going to drive my DD to the limit
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

what is road racing? and what is autocross racing? i'm curious, they have something near me where rich guys take there porcshes and corvettes drive around or orange cones. i never went but heard about it
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995 cougar xr7 View Post
what is road racing? and what is autocross racing? i'm curious, they have something near me where rich guys take there porcshes and corvettes drive around or orange cones. i never went but heard about it
Cones is Auto Cross aka AutoX. Racing with left hand and right hand turns is road racing.

pegasus889195, most of the wreck I see are on ovals--oh wait that's what people go to a oval for.

93 SC Tbird
93 5.0 Tbird
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Hey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
pegasus889195, most of the wreck I see are on ovals--oh wait that's what people go to a oval for.
Hello

That's not why I go!! Yes, Full contact.
I get wrinkled mostly. Usually New Body yearly. Not this year though.

Painted it Black so most wrinkles don't show.
Getting threw traffic is not as easy as it looks.

Paul

Paul [email protected]
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in