pics of my bracket racing season so far - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Audiobahnbird
pics of my bracket racing season so far

5 wins so far. We've got a good 2 months of racing left. Tomorrow i'll be racing for an IHRA Iron man trophy, and 2 weeks from now we're actually racing for a payout ( dont even care about the money, just want the big novelty check haha.) As of right now I have a 94 point lead (10 points per round) in the championship standings. The trophy for track champion is almost as tall as i am, and I've wanted a chance at it since '04 when i started racing....I can almost taste it!

Anyway, wish me luck guys, I want to do the MN12 gang proud!!!

Please enjoy my new and improved short signature- Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Love how the mustache makes the face on the guy look in the 3rd pic!

Good luck!

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:47 AM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
how many points behind is the 2nd place runner? and best of luck hope you get it.

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 01:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Good job! I've been thinking of getting into bracket racing myself... Just gotta get fast off of the line, and consistent...

Obviously you've got that part figured out! LOL Congrats!

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:44 PM
4th Gear Poster

Congrats man.......so what times are you running and what have you done to the car to get there ? Just wondering.

1996 T-bird, 4.6 with ported PI heads and VT stage 2 cams, JBA shorty headers, 3000 stall converter, 3.73 gears and just about every bolt on available.
Dyno tune results: 275.9rwhp and 301.4 torque.
Best 1/4 mile time: 13.65 at 99.52 mph.
Now I need more gear, more stall and some drag radials !!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_superbirdy View Post
how many points behind is the 2nd place runner? and best of luck hope you get it.
the second place runner is currently 94 points behind (10 points per round)

Traveler-the best advice i have for you is to practice and stay cool....you lose when you get nervous!

qktbird- the car is bone stock in full street trim with the exception of a k&n panel filter, removed air silencer and a set of 255/50/16 mickey thompson drag radials.

So far my best time with the car in cool air and perfect track conditions was a 9.52 with a 2.15 short time. But mose of the time the short times are around 2.19 and the car runs in the mid 9.60s. On humind days like last week the car is in the 9.70s, but rarely sees 9.80s unless i have to peadal on someone!

As for the iron man race- it got rained out yesterday and is rescheduled for today, ill keep you guys posted.

And the guy with the *****in' moustache was the track mamanger, whom some people dubbed- "frankenstien"

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well guys, saturday was a big disappointment. Allthough I earned 23 more points than the second place runner in the points series, I didn't take home the Ironman trophy. I made it all the way to the final. I ran a 9.78 pass in the semi finals, and the car was getting warm (we were only getting about 15 mins cooldown between rounds as the day went on.) I had to race a fox body mustang dailing in at 7.95. Since he was going to be chasing me I wanted to dial tight and be able to run the car all out, so I dialed a 9.77. My reaction time wasnt what I wanted it to be but it was still better than the mustang's by 1 hundreth. When I got almost to the stripe I knew he wasnt catching me as fast as he should, but he was still gaining, so i lifted and coasted through the traps. I broke out by 5 hundreths, he broke out by 3 hundreths. Because of the difference In reaction times, the margin of victory was unnoticeable. I couldn't have taken anymore time out of the car by braking without giving up the stripe. I was pretty bummed because the car hadn't ran that fast all day on all out passes, and for it to run a 9.72 lifiting off the gas was unreal. Oh well, As i said before, It was a good points day, and I guess I'll just keep looking at the big picture.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

and another one! Im stoked!!!

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Hey, you comoing down to new england dragway in NH, for ford day Oct 17,ill have my daughters 95 bird only going 14 in 1/4 thow. Your car looks clean, nice ride.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
Hey, you comoing down to new england dragway in NH, for ford day Oct 17,ill have my daughters 95 bird only going 14 in 1/4 thow. Your car looks clean, nice ride.
Probably wont make it for ford day. I've always wanted to check it out, but by the time I got down there my drag radials would be worn out! I really neede to invest in a trailer for the long hauls. I love the bird, but I don't quite trust it on long trips yet.

Oh and while im here

tiny pic-

win #7!!!

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 AM
PostSlut

goodjob broski!

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiobahnbird View Post
so i lifted and coasted through the traps. I broke out by 5 hundreths, he broke out by 3 hundreths.
Just a tip from a long time bracket racer.

Rather than "lifting and coasting" which never worked for me..the car just doesnt "slow down fast enough"..

In an 1/8th mile run if I'm gonna have to slow down.

This is how I do it.
After the car makes the 1-2 shift I pull the shifter into second gear.
That prevents and "upshift" when you lift...
Rather than lifting the throttle, keep your throttle foot planted at WOT and STAB the brake a couple of times...keeping in mind that you dont want to "cross the stripe" with your foot on the brake.
You want the front of the car to be "UP" just like it was in all your other passes.

If you cross the stripe "on the brakes" the front of the car will hit the beams and your gonna break out.

So.. recap

after the car makes the 1-2 shift.. just pull the shifter into 2.
Then rather than lifting, stay at WOT and just dab the brakes a couple of times.

hope this helps

GO GET EM!!!!

1995 Lincoln Mark VIII "Grandmas Car"
400,480 miles *STOLEN 04-13-08*

98 Mark VIII LSC

STONE
STOCK
SLOW

NO
MODS
HERE
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Like Titles Matter

Tommy is right on, and almost everyone gets bitten by this at least once. Lifting just doesn't slow the car down, always make sure you use the brake.

Now, something a little sneaky if you want to try it on those faster cars chasing you. They expect that when they see your brake lights, you actually are braking, it's a street car after all. A pushbutton that will light up the brake lights even though you are driving it out the back door can throw them off sometimes.

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Veteran Poster

+1
I do that with my hazards some times, makes it look like I'm dipping the brake a couple of times just before the stripe.

I'd thought about wiring my horn button to the "boo switch" to open the switch so it wouldn't activate the brake lights if I had the horn button pressed.

that way I could hit the brakes without the lights coming on and warning the faster car.

lots of little sneaky things you can do.

putting a small flap of sheet metal at the front of your bumper cover is another one.
that way your staging the car, and breaking the finish line beams with the "same part of the car".

Alot of people dont realize that the "prestage and stage" beams are alot closer to the track than the finish line beams are.
For instance at my local track, the starting line beams are 1.5 inches off the surface of the track.
The finish line beams are a full 7 inches off the surface of the track
So.. chances are you are not staging with the same part of the car that is breaking the finish line beams.

When you hit the brakes.. and the front dives.. you will be breaking the beams with yet a differnent part of the car.. so make sure you get off the brakes and back on the gas before you cross the stripe, unless you have a small flap on the front of your car to break the beams.

blah blah blah... hope some of my babbling helps!

98 Mark VIII LSC

STONE
STOCK
SLOW

NO
MODS
HERE
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Veteran Poster

Also considered putting a LED "wig wag" light kit on the car, and wiring it to my back up lights..and hooking it to a MSD WOT switch.

you know when you are the slower car, that your opponent is focused on the bottom bulb.

If when I went WOT on launch it activated the LEDS to flash in my reverse lights it would be a great distraction to the other driver trying to focus on the bottom bulb, as my car pulled away from the tree.

Shady but effective!
lol

98 Mark VIII LSC

STONE
STOCK
SLOW

NO
MODS
HERE
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Veteran Poster

And if you REALLY want to jack with the competition.
Get you some small magnets, pry them out of the refrigerator magnet letters.

Then evenly space then around the outer portion of your wheel on the drivers side.

Then when your in the staging lanes.. COVER that tire with a towel.
The opponent will drive themselves insane trying to figure out what the towel is hiding.

When you pull the towel off a crowd will gather "guaratanteed".

When they see the magnets they are gonna "FLIP" thinking that you are using the same "cheating tactic" as the "Dirty Dozen" did that got them banned from the IHRA.

No doubt they will protest your run, and want to know what the magnets are for.
Then you tell them.. they are from my kids refridgerator magnets, and you use them for your "good luck charm".

Very shady but very very effective.

98 Mark VIII LSC

STONE
STOCK
SLOW

NO
MODS
HERE
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 AM
Veteran Poster

Anything you can do to put your opponent at a mental disadvantage plays right into your hand.

Hell.. just Kris's jacking with JDM made it nearly impossible for JDM to win a race, even if he wasn't racing against Kris.

Granted, you want to have good basic "bracket skill" before you try to "play any games".
do not depend on "games" to win races, by any means.

but... just putting an "ounce of doubt" in your opponents mind is worth it's weight in gold.

98 Mark VIII LSC

STONE
STOCK
SLOW

NO
MODS
HERE
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Any updates? Did you clinch the season title yet? What's your average reaction time?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in