R/T........... .153
60'........... 2.267
330.......... 6.016
1/8........... 9.185
MPH......... 77.25
1000........ 11.943
1/4........... 14.218
MPH.......... 98.53

I got 3 runs in and all 3 were almost the same but this one was my best by a couple tenths. Its a pig out of the hole with the stock converter. My car ran through 1st & 2nd pretty decent, but seemed week in all 3 runs while I was running out the top end of the track in 3rd. IDK, maybe it was the air at the time. I punched it a couple of times coming home that night and seemed to run out pretty good in 3rd. I also have a 75 shot on the car but didn't get to use it due to too much playing the over last weekend....okay okay, enough excuses LOL

pics of my car
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ght=train+yard

Updated 10/14/11
3800 Dirty Dog installed and drag radials
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:07 AM

Was that at Gateway?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Yup, Tuesday test and tune. I was very suprised that not very many people were there. Racing started at 6:00 and I had all 3 runs in by 7:10 and then I just parked the car and watched for a while. I've been hearing that test and tunes were almost as bad as Midnight Madness now that they have cut out the Wednesday T&T's and rolled them both into just Tuesday. I guess most people thought it was going to rain yesterday and didn't show.

pics of my car

Updated 10/14/11
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 AM

Damn Man..
You gotta come out to midnight madness and drift some time dude..
And show up a lot of 240s..
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
You can always head down I-44 to the Joplin area and run at MoKan for the Friday night Fun Drags. My car is set up very similar to yours, but I've got 3.73's, not 4.10's. (and no Nitrous). Just let me know and I'll meet you there!

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
PostSlut

get that 60 down to at least a 2.00 or better, and you will be seeing some 13's.
How were you launching?
what kind of tires are you running on?
and what was the weight of the car?

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
The biggest problem I have with 3.73's is launching the car. I get either Wheel spin, or wheel Hop. I'm running street tires, 255/50/16's. (can't afford drag radials yet). But I'm working on it. I think with the right launch, and the right tire pressure I can get it to hook up right.

Didn't mean to jack the thread, just noted the similar set ups, and midwest locations.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Good time. Put your cat on a diet to shave some weight... lol

I hope to get mine into the low to mid 13's when my swap is done.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:07 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The biggest problem I have with 3.73's is launching the car. I get either Wheel spin, or wheel Hop. I'm running street tires, 255/50/16's. (can't afford drag radials yet). But I'm working on it. I think with the right launch, and the right tire pressure I can get it to hook up right.

Didn't mean to jack the thread, just noted the similar set ups, and midwest locations.
just wait until you get those tires.....it is a complete night and day difference.....you will be asking yourself why in the hell did I not have these before!

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
just wait until you get those tires.....it is a complete night and day difference.....you will be asking yourself why in the hell did I not have these before!
YES it will, it was worth 8 tenths in my cobra from street tire to drag slick!!!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

As far as launching the car, I really don't have anything to work with. I'm running stock stall and so I'm just stabbing the gas when the light goes green. I'm running 285 nitto street tires in back which have no spin to them at all! But that actually kinda hurts I think because with the stock stall and no spin, the car is bogging a bit off of the line. I ran 3 times that were almost identical and all three had a 2.2 60'. Not sure when I'll get it, but a stall will have to be my next upgrade for this.

pics of my car

Updated 10/14/11
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:54 PM
PostSlut

so you are leaving off of idle?

I would stall it as much as you could before the car starts moving or spinning the tires....which should be around 2,000 rpms(give or take)...not stall is worse than some..

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Faster than Porkchop

Good times man ! My 60' best times are a tiny bit (with used tires) lower than yours but you do have more hp though .

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
so you are leaving off of idle?

I would stall it as much as you could before the car starts moving or spinning the tires....which should be around 2,000 rpms(give or take)...not stall is worse than some..
Yes I'm leaving off idle. I have always felt that stalling up a stock converter slows you down a bit. My dad has a 2000GT auto and he feels the same also. He had his car at the track last year and got a few runs in leaving off idle and then a couple stalling his stock coverter up. He had a better 60' each time off idle.

pics of my car

Updated 10/14/11
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:46 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8D-XXX View Post
Yes I'm leaving off idle. I have always felt that stalling up a stock converter slows you down a bit. My dad has a 2000GT auto and he feels the same also. He had his car at the track last year and got a few runs in leaving off idle and then a couple stalling his stock coverter up. He had a better 60' each time off idle.
tells ya that every car is different..

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 05:54 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Audiobahnbird
ive noticed a few comments that were said that i just want to give my input on, i race weekly in a points series, not trying to toot my own horn or say im any better than any of you, but im hoping i can help you all have better luck at the strip-

"im leaving off idle" - i realize some of you running fat tires arent having issues with traction, but to those of you leaving off idle running close to a stock tire- putting a load on the drivetrain helps alot with traction, if the converter is already near its stall its less apt to cause a traction issue. i usually launch my sc at 12-1400 rpm depending on the situation (how badly i need a good reaction time) i find that the higher i launch the car, the better the reaction time. Anything below 1000 rpms is a waste for me because the car spins if theres no load on the converter.

"i cant afford drag radials" - If your track is anything like mine alot of the regular racers replace thier tires every 6 or 8 races, these tires are still good, buy em up for 100 bucks a set! Lack of traction takes the fun out of racing, im glad i bought mine!

r8dxxx- I see you posted somthing about a 2.2 60' time. With the car you have and the e.t.s you're runing you should b low 2.0s in the 60'. My stock auto sc has never run faster than a 9.52 in the 1/8th and my 60' times are usually between a 2.15 and a 2.17 depending on the air quality.

"I just stab the gas when the light goes green"- if you're running a full tree like most tracks, (yellow, yellow yellow, green) then you want to stab the gas on the 3rd yellow, by the time the car reaches the end of the rollout the light will have gone green and you will have acheived that perfect .000 reaction time, or in my case .500 (.500 full tree at my track) that will help you out alot of you ever find yourself racing in a competition.

"that actually kinda hurts I think because with the stock stall and no spin, the car is bogging a bit off of the line" a bog costs you hundreths of a second, a spin can cost tenths, trust me a bog in your case is a good thing, traction is your friend.

"his one was my best by a couple tenths"- if yopu are seeing differences in your timeslips of more than 5 hundreths theres definately somthing that needs some fine tuning, are you sure the car isnt spinning? In the class that i run in, if your time trial slips are off more than 4 or 5 hundreths you might as well pack up and go home. Normally my sc runs within 2 hundreths all nght long, the only time im off more than that is if i have to lift at the big end to avoid breaking out against my competitor on a bad run.

Again, not trying to pick you apart, just making sure that you get the most out of your car and yourself at the track. Most of all have fun, and keep at it, drag racing is dying all around the country and its important to keep the sport alive!!!

Please enjoy my new and improved short signature- Russ
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Audibahn, thanks for the info. Sounds like you've been down the track a time or two...LOL
I'm sure my car isn't spinning, it's just bogging a bit off the line. As far as consistent times go, my car ran almost the same in all three runs. All 60' were right at 2.2 and my 1/4 times were 14.2, 14.18, and 14.28 ( car was a little hot on the last run). When I said I stab the gas at the green, I didn't mean litterally. Yes, we have a full tree and I was stabbing the gas at the third yellow. My R/T in the slip above was a .153 That was better than a lot of street cars were doin that night. Although R/T wasn't that important to me as I wasn't actually racing.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with my times....it takes a lot to move these bricks LOL. I know I could do more to it such as a stall, a diet, bigs and skinnies, ect... I could have even put on my 26" tall E/T streets and picked up a little instead of running these big 18's that I have and get a pretty good N/A time out of this thing. And then throw in my 75 shot for more. Maybe someday but my car sees mostly street use.

Here are a couple of photos of my car. I'm spinning in the first one but that was me cleaning my tires off before staging.

http://www.racingperspectives.com/cg...-08-04_003.jpg

http://www.racingperspectives.com/cg...-08-04_058.jpg

pics of my car

Updated 10/14/11
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 09:18 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Audiobahnbird
sounds like you've got the right idea, im just glad to see some more mn12s making it to the track. I wish there were more up this way. throw those e/t streets on there sometime and let us know how it does. Love the pics, looks nasty! I still need to get some pics of mine in action, ive only got 2 from last year when my girlfriend ran it.

Ditched the windstar wheels and picked up my new mickeys, love these tires, i run them on the street alot, they're great all around tires.

Please enjoy my new and improved short signature- Russ
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Good luck with the rest of your season man!!

pics of my car

Updated 10/14/11
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
man...look at that nose reach for the sky it is a beautiful thing

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 PM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8D-XXX View Post
Audibahn, thanks for the info. Sounds like you've been down the track a time or two...LOL
I'm sure my car isn't spinning, it's just bogging a bit off the line. As far as consistent times go, my car ran almost the same in all three runs. All 60' were right at 2.2 and my 1/4 times were 14.2, 14.18, and 14.28 ( car was a little hot on the last run). When I said I stab the gas at the green, I didn't mean litterally. Yes, we have a full tree and I was stabbing the gas at the third yellow. My R/T in the slip above was a .153 That was better than a lot of street cars were doin that night. Although R/T wasn't that important to me as I wasn't actually racing.

I'm not saying I'm unhappy with my times....it takes a lot to move these bricks LOL. I know I could do more to it such as a stall, a diet, bigs and skinnies, ect... I could have even put on my 26" tall E/T streets and picked up a little instead of running these big 18's that I have and get a pretty good N/A time out of this thing. And then throw in my 75 shot for more. Maybe someday but my car sees mostly street use.

Here are a couple of photos of my car. I'm spinning in the first one but that was me cleaning my tires off before staging.

http://www.racingperspectives.com/cg...-08-04_003.jpg

http://www.racingperspectives.com/cg...-08-04_058.jpg

Those are really not bad times considering summer time racing, no drag tires and factory converter.

A good set of drag tires, & matching converter should put you in the mid to high 8's in the 1/8th, with 60 ft times in the 1.80-1.90 range. Of course traction permitting in cooler air and it might really suprise you!

Practice will also make you better. Its all part of getting the most out of you and the car and the consistancy. A well placed 75 shot with the above could quite possibly put you in the 12.9 range.

Bottom line is stay at it when you can. It'll all come in good time.

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in