Rules Regulations/Track Tech - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Rules Regulations/Track Tech

Upon the completion of my car I'd like to start racing at my local track, however future mods such as battery relocation, fluid cells, fluid coolers, etc. all make me nervous, not because of degree of difficulty, but rather legality at the track and local/national racing regulations.

The last thing I want is to spend money unwisely by making a modification to my car and finding out it isn't track legal or that I have to redo a system up to their standards after I've already made the change, spending even more money to change it when I could have just done it right (to their standards) the first time. At that point I'm making 1 step forward and 2 steps back, I've seen too many friends go through this with SCORE and other offroad racing sanctions.

Any definitive information on racing the Vegas track or NHRA standards or SCCA standards and the like would be greatly appreciated by those of you who are "in the know".

Specific things I'd like to know would be fluids, electrical, cells, power supply, cage, helmet, driver P.P.E. (personal protection equipment) etc. with any info I'd prefer a source too if at all possible.

Thank you all,
Chris

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Veteran Poster

I'll throw out some of the basics.

Battery relocation:
Battery must be securely tied down.
Must have on/off switch outside of vehicle.
Battery must be seperated from the cabin by metal all the way around. A metal box is the easiest solution.

Helmet is required at 13.50 or if you have slicks
Buy one anyways.....
Most places let you get away with a motorcycle helmet but if you don't own one already, buy a snell 2005 or better compliant one from summit or upr or somewhere like that. If you ever intend on racing for money, buy the better rated helmet so you never have a problem with tech.

Fluids is pretty simple. Make sure there are no leaks.

Fuel Cells:
Must be vented.
must be seperated by .038 thick aluminum or .xxx thick steel. Not exactly sure on size but you need to do the package tray and behind the seats to be compliant.

As far as PPE, you don't need anything other than long pants and shoes until you start running in the 10's. If you have a poweradder, it is mandatory regardless of time.
For 60 bucks though, a fire jacket or suit is a no brainer in my eyes. To each his own though.

Your best bet is to spend 10 bucks and buy an NHRA rule book. If you plan on doing open track or road racing, you will have to buy the individual association rule book. Most have the same basic rules I outlined above but most are stricter on cages/PPE when you get into road racing.

96 v8 4.6 explorer, kooks headers, off road x, magnaflow mufflers, cl tb/plenum, lmaf, gt tube, xcal tune, alum shaft, 3800 dirty dog converter, darrin trans, 373 gears, hoosier slicks on fanblades, pbr brakes, Skinnies on front, No PS or AC, Aeromotive EWP, major weight removal (3380 LBS), 12.78 OLD COMBO.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 08:12 AM
PostSlut

what paintme said...buy the book for 10 bucks, or find someone that has one, and borrow it.
Thats what I'm using as a guide for my car, so I won't get any surprises when I get to the track.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Like Titles Matter

http://www.bremertonraceway.com/2011...20Rulebook.pdf

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Thank you all.

227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Poweradder - if non stock power adder is installed, a single layer fire jacket required regardless of et.
Helmet 13.99
Slicks dont have anything to do with needing a helmet
Slicks need driveshaft loop regardless of et
Battery doesn't need to be in a box, if you do it that way a rear firewall is required. Moroso makes a plastic box too.
Fuel cell needs firewall and needs to be vented outside of the vehicle.

I can get everything you need email me or call 815.254.2333 [email protected]

Keith deluca

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRattlehead View Post
Poweradder - if non stock power adder is installed, a single layer fire jacket required regardless of et.
Helmet 13.99
Slicks dont have anything to do with needing a helmet
Battery doesn't need to be in a box, if you do it that way a rear firewall is required. Moroso makes a plastic box too.
Fuel cell needs firewall and needs to be vented outside of the vehicle.

I can get everything you need email me or call 815.254.2333 [email protected]

Keith deluca

I just got off the phone with Alan. He also said anything under 13.50 requires it. I may get slicks eventually so I may need one regardless. Definitely something I've overlooked.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post

I just got off the phone with Alan. He also said anything under 13.50 requires it. I may get slicks eventually so I may need one regardless. Definitely something I've overlooked.
Yes at 13.50 you need a bunch of stuff then at 11.50 then 10.0 8.50 7.50 those are the basic times that you need to look at, each level requires more safety stuff.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I also wanted to specify for the record, I have no idea what I'll run at the track, obviously I'd love to have to consider 13.5's but I'll be very content with mid to low 14's. That's my goal right now. Mod's listed in my gallery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in