The day I saw Bill Elliott make up 2 laps at Talladega - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

The day I saw Bill Elliott make up 2 laps at Talladega

Thought I'd share this with you guys, since this a Thunderbird crowd.

'Twas the fifth day of May, 1985 at the Winston 500. Me and my dad got to a hotel room in Anniston, AL, on Saturday and drove to the track on Sunday morning. We found our seats and then walked over to the track museum.

One of Cale Yarborough's cars (below) was on display outside not far away from the museum building.

Below are some of the cars that were inside the museum at the time.

Bobby Allison's Matador (below). The guy in the straw hat is my dad. :lol:

It was a perfect day for a race. Bill Elliott had qualified for the pole with a top speed of 209.398 MPH.

The late, great Neil Bonnett driving Junior Johnson's #12 Budweiser Chevy (below).

Down in front for cryin' out loud!

Elliott's car started smoking badly all of a sudden about a quarter way into the race and everyone in the stands thought he was done for the day. You could feel the disappointment all around because many had come to see him race. However, to everyone's surprise he pitted and went back out after going more than a lap down. I remember the folks around us who had radios saying it was a loose oil line instead of a blown engine.

The freight train was less than 10 car lengths behind him when he finally got back up to speed. Technically he only went one lap down, but everyone who saw the race knew it would have been two in another lap or less.

Instead of quickly being overtaken by the pack, he increased the interval between himself and the leaders close to a second per lap. I know this because I timed the interval for almost every lap with my digital watch. The gap decreased only after a round of green flag pit stops, then grew again after a few laps. I seem to recall a caution flag only after he had made it up to the middle of the pack.

Everyone in the stands watched something TV could never do justice to. When Bill finally slingshot his car down the backstretch and into lead in Turn 3, the whole crowd went nuts.

The Awesome One (below) goes onto pit road on his way to Victory Lane after the race ended.

The scoreboard (below) after the race tells the story.

1. Bill Elliott #9
2. Kyle Petty #7
3. Cale Yarborough #28
4. Bobby Allison #22
5. Ricky Rudd #15

Today I can't remember who won last week's NASCAR race, but I will always remember this day for the rest of my life.

-Mark

Use a tool, don't be one...

-Mark

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6L
1970 Torino GT 351C 4V

...................................GT
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\..|||||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Cool , My step-dad took me to just about every one of the races in the mid 70s to mid 80s , I miss the good old days of NASCAR.

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Great pictures and story!

Thanks for sharing.

Having grown up in North Wilkesboro, NC I appreciate the old NASCAR. I'm not a fan of the current generation of tracks, cars, drivers or NASCAR rules - (restrictor plates).

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Nice shots; welcome to the site!

We won't see that kind of racing again, unfortunately.

Modern Nascar shares a lot with Pro Wrestling these days; nothing of substance.

It's not racing when there's restrictor plates involved.

Unless it's balls to the wall, it's just not racing to me.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in