Low 13's with this setup? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ok, here's one for ya.

'98 Mark VIII LSC runs 13.59 in the 1/4 mile full street trim on failing airride suspension. The car had 145K miles when it ran that time to on the old chitty SCT mail order tune with steelies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDinH...7&feature=plcp

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lincoln-Mar...lip-23346.html

New setup:

T-bird SC springs on Tokicos out front and Koni adjustables in the rear.
Aluminum mini-spares up front with M&H front runners
Battery relocated to the trunk
A/C compressor delete with pulley
Dyno tuned with shift points near 7K (from 6600-6700) and 268rwhp (from 252)

Do I have an awfully low 13?

Skinny tires, battery reloaction, a/c delete. Just because I brought up my car in someone else's thread doesn't mean that I hijacked. That's why it is a discussion thread. I'm on topic, and you are not a moderator, so piss off. Just because it's your time of the month doesn't mean I have to deal with the bloody mess.

1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Supercharged
1992 F150 XLT

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-25-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:49 PM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
why?

you doubted me when i ran a certain time and backed it up.

just because you don't believe it, does not make it false.
Its all about mods, weight reduction, elevation, track conditions, density altitude and driver. With the mods and the weight reductions etc yeah its possible. How many come on here running jaws and don't have a clue.

Watching the video they were good runs and I stand corrected. All I know is we have the quickest NA Mark VIII here running in our part and I've seen that one metamorph over the years. Other than wheels and tires, it is still full option full weight. That is drillers car.

Rob, get the stuff done. We need to see her run!!!!

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStromberg View Post

Skinny tires, battery reloaction, a/c delete. Just because I brought up my car in someone else's thread doesn't mean that I hijacked. That's why it is a discussion thread. I'm on topic, and you are not a moderator, so piss off. Just because it's your time of the month doesn't mean I have to deal with the bloody mess.
Nice runs

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 06:30 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
... Skinny tires, battery relocation, a/c delete. Just because I brought up my car in someone else's thread doesn't mean that I hijacked. That's why it is a discussion thread. I'm on topic, and you are not a moderator, so piss off. Just because it's your time of the month doesn't mean I have to deal with the bloody mess.
Moved this discussion to its own thread. Yes, bringing your own car up in someone else's thread is a thread hijack. End of discussion.

1MTNCAT may not be a mod but I am and I'm asking you to check your attitude at the door.

The request for time slips and video to prove a claimed time is a common request around here; it's not personal - it just keeps the bench racers in check. If you're not one, and you obviously aren't, then producing the requested proof shouldn't be a problem. There's no need to get defensive about it.

You've got a nice car and we'd be happy to discuss what it takes to get a Mark VIII to low 13's. Just spare us the attitued.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-25-2012 at 06:36 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Moved this discussion to its own thread. Yes, bringing your own car up in someone else's thread is a thread hijack. End of discussion.

1MTNCAT may not be a mod but I am and I'm asking you to check your attitude at the door.

The request for time slips and video to prove a claimed time is a common request around here; it's not personal - it just keeps the bench racers in check. If you're not one, and you obviously aren't, then producing the requested proof shouldn't be a problem. There's no need to get defensive about it.

You've got a nice car and we'd be happy to discuss what it takes to get a Mark VIII to low 13's. Just spare us the attitued.
No problem. I can do that. I still don't agree with your idea of a hijacked thread when I kept completely on topic and I was presenting a theoretical situation since I haven't done all of the weight reduction I mentioned yet. In no way was I bench racing or even bragging about my car. I was asking a question revolving around the same topic to promote discussion and it appeared to me that the OP had a sufficient amount of response that it wasn't going to be some big fireworks display when I sneaked in. Especially after the thread simmered down and turned into casual banter that had nothing to do with the main topic, like "Are you coming to the shootout this year?" But whatever. I'm over it. I don't get it, but I'm over it.

1992 F150 XLT
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
Nice runs
Thank you sir.! I'm hoping to put those runs in the history book. I'm already in that territory I think but I can't prove anything without new timeslips and the car is down with a hole in one of the header primaries and I am out of of funds this year after purchasing another 8 with a blower on it. So, needless to say, I have time to make things happen. It will be nice to just be able to powerbrake it and let it rip. I had to manually shift all of those runs to get the tune to do what I wanted it to. I hit the rev limiter on most of my runs because the 1-2 just happens too fast and I had trouble timing it right with what the computer wanted to do.

1992 F150 XLT
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 PM
5th Gear Poster

There is a lot of fire in this thread . As far as the mods go you'll probably see .2 off with the aluminum spares and suspension. As far as the battery relocation you should see better traction. The A/C delete I have always hated but then again as a southern California resident I need it. I suppose if ur area is rather cool then it probably won't matter. My NPI motor on spray with bolt ons, stock converter, and 4.10's ran 13.1 @ 101 with a 1.76 60'.

Quote:
Ok, here's one for ya.

'98 Mark VIII LSC runs 13.59 in the 1/4 mile full street trim on failing airride suspension. The car had 145K miles when it ran that time to on the old chitty SCT mail order tune with steelies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDinH...7&feature=plcp

http://www.dragtimes.com/Lincoln-Mar...lip-23346.html

New setup:

T-bird SC springs on Tokicos out front and Koni adjustables in the rear.
Aluminum mini-spares up front with M&H front runners
Battery relocated to the trunk
A/C compressor delete with pulley
Dyno tuned with shift points near 7K (from 6600-6700) and 268rwhp (from 252)

Do I have an awfully low 13?

Daily Driver - 2014 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 manual black on black. Stock for now.

Current Project - 1996 T-bird LX 4.6L: PI head swap, factory 3.27 TL, tuned by Don LaSota.

Retired Car - 1995 T-bird LX 4.6L: 4v swap plus Cobra goodies
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:06 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_unique_91 View Post
There is a lot of fire in this thread . ...
LOL You should see the posts that I deleted...

Anyway, KStromberg. If you don't already have the J-mod on your transmission I suggest getting it done. RobertP sells read to install J-mod kits. A high stall converter will also help bring your times down considerably. Look at a 2,800 or higher stall.

Circle D or Dirtydog performance...

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_unique_91 View Post
My NPI motor on spray with bolt ons, stock converter, and 4.10's ran 13.1 @ 101 with a 1.76 60'.
That sounds pretty damn good for a NPI dude. I hope that 4-valve swap works out well for you. I like the fact you have the Cobra intake on there too. Too many people run the stocker on the Gen2 Mark VIIIs and wonder why they can't hit 13s.

I guess I'm trying to eventually see if some weight tricks will do the trick with less than 300 rwhp. In all reality, the top NA Mark VIIIs were all pushing that mark and even more (DLF I think is over 300rwhp??). I have a bit left in the tune because my A/F ratios are in the mid 12s and my dyno numbers were at 98 degrees F. 13.0-13.3 would be more ideal A/F ratios and some better conditions at the shop would put me higher. Otherwise, all I have left to do really if I wanted to on the stock motor is underdrive pullies, electric water pump, and IMRC deletes for possibly a bit more top end.

Quote:
LOL You should see the posts that I deleted...

Anyway, KStromberg. If you don't already have the J-mod on your transmission I suggest getting it done. RobertP sells read to install J-mod kits. A high stall converter will also help bring your times down considerably. Look at a 2,800 or higher stall.

Circle D or Dirtydog performance...
Thanks for the input TM. I have the Dirty Dog plate kit and I have a 3800 stall Circle D converter in the car now. I have to say that I am very pleased with the durability of the Circle D with the hell it has been through. Had I known that I was going to make it this far, I might have even opted for a bit more stall like around 4000, but oh well. I'm not going to replace what isn't broken.

1992 F150 XLT

Last edited by KStromberg; 09-25-2012 at 10:14 PM.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
No problem. I can do that. I still don't agree with your idea of a hijacked thread when I kept completely on topic and I was presenting a theoretical situation since I haven't done all of the weight reduction I mentioned yet. In no way was I bench racing or even bragging about my car. I was asking a question revolving around the same topic to promote discussion and it appeared to me that the OP had a sufficient amount of response that it wasn't going to be some big fireworks display when I sneaked in. Especially after the thread simmered down and turned into casual banter that had nothing to do with the main topic, like "Are you coming to the shootout this year?" But whatever. I'm over it. I don't get it, but I'm over it.
I think a simple question to the OP of that thread was not completely out of line on the other hand a new topic/question about your own car was way off topic. I wasn't trying to start a fight with you (we all have done it before) I was just pointing it out. Also with your own thread you will get better responses.

Quote:
Thank you sir.! I'm hoping to put those runs in the history book. I'm already in that territory I think but I can't prove anything without new timeslips and the car is down with a hole in one of the header primaries and I am out of of funds this year after purchasing another 8 with a blower on it. So, needless to say, I have time to make things happen. It will be nice to just be able to powerbrake it and let it rip. I had to manually shift all of those runs to get the tune to do what I wanted it to. I hit the rev limiter on most of my runs because the 1-2 just happens too fast and I had trouble timing it right with what the computer wanted to do.
That's great. You have a very quick car. I have a mail order tune right now and am getting a dyno tune this spring right after I get my 3.73 gears installed. Can't wait!!

New suspension, much better tune, and a little weight off the front end, I think with your new set up 13.2ish wouldn't be out of the question. Any chance of hitting the track before winter hits?

-Patrick

Last edited by Tbird1997; 09-25-2012 at 11:28 PM.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
That's great. You have a very quick car. I have a mail order tune right now and am getting a dyno tune this spring right after I get my 3.73 gears installed. Can't wait!!

I think with your new set up 13.2ish wouldn't be out of the question. Any chance of hitting the track before winter hits?
Thanks again. And I don't think I need to tell you, but a dyno tune will rock your socks off. I made 16 rwhp overall and 24 rwtq on fat mid12 A/F ratios at 98 degrees Fahreheit in the shop. I waited too long. There's nothing better than real-time tuning while on the dyno unless you have the software and the know-how to do your own tuning and datalog at the track in real time driving conditions. But regardless, you'll love it man and best of luck. Unfortunately, I wont' be able to get out this year.

1992 F150 XLT
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

BTW, while I didn't agree with the accusations earlier, my apologies in responding the way I did. Sometimes I get set off and go apechit.

1992 F150 XLT
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:57 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
That sounds pretty damn good for a NPI dude. I hope that 4-valve swap works out well for you. I like the fact you have the Cobra intake on there too. Too many people run the stocker on the Gen2 Mark VIIIs and wonder why they can't hit 13s.
Thanks man, I hope it works out too. Yeah I am hoping to run somewhere in the mid 13's all motor and run low 12's maybe high 11's on a 150 shot of spray.

Daily Driver - 2014 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 manual black on black. Stock for now.

Current Project - 1996 T-bird LX 4.6L: PI head swap, factory 3.27 TL, tuned by Don LaSota.

Retired Car - 1995 T-bird LX 4.6L: 4v swap plus Cobra goodies
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 12:02 AM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
(DLF I think is over 300rwhp??)
303+

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org...76&postcount=9

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 04:57 AM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
Between the additional weight reducing measures you have in mind, some future mods you have planned and some additional tuning it should be a low 13 second car, possibly high 12's in the right conditions.

It appears you are running in a cooler climate than most. What track were you running at on the video's. Late fall before the track closes will help out considerably if the track will hook. The air density is much better at that time.

I've seen Drillers car go 13.1's in the right conditions at full Weight so a lighter car at some point should be able to improve upon those times possibly.

You are headed in the right direction!!

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 AM
PostSlut

Quote:

Thanks for the input TM. I have the Dirty Dog plate kit and I have a 3800 stall Circle D converter in the car now. I have to say that I am very pleased with the durability of the Circle D with the hell it has been through. Had I known that I was going to make it this far, I might have even opted for a bit more stall like around 4000, but oh well. I'm not going to replace what isn't broken.

If and when you do get the stall redone, Cirlce D is by far the best choice that I have personally seen.

Don't go with other shady company's, stick with the tried and true.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

22's

My car does 22's in the 5/8mile

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtess View Post

My car does 22's in the 5/8mile

Go away.

1992 F150 XLT

Last edited by KStromberg; 09-26-2012 at 09:01 PM.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
He's kidding KStromberg. We're not all out to get you here.

He's a circle track racer. That 5/8 mile that he's referring to is a short track.

He's referring to himself as a "Bench Racer"

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Totally misinterpreted that one.

1992 F150 XLT
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
We're not all out to get you here.
...We will be if you keep slurring veteran members every time you feel they wronged you.

-Matt
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
...We will be if you keep slurring veteran members every time you feel they wronged you.
Go ahead. I have plenty of other forums that are less animated than this one. And remember, this whole thing started out with me being right which is why this thread was created.

1992 F150 XLT
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Normally we don't have this much animation, it's always one or two users who get hot headed about every little word that cause commotion. Getting pissy and calling people names for what you perceive as insults isn't exactly making you look like the poor victim.

Suck it up, forget about it and move on. If not enjoy your other forums.

-Matt
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Wow, for a second there I thought I was reading on LvC forums.....

No insult intended to anyone here that also browses that forum, but there does seem to be more drama there!

TCCoA has always been my favorite forum - good tech here, helpful people, and (how do I put this delicately) a good level of maturity?

To the OP, I enjoy reading about your car since I have a Mark VIII and who doesn't want to go faster, right?

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

It's all good. It was bad timing on my part to misinterpret somebody's post after the fireworks display that happened earlier. I assure you guys on here, I'm not as much of an a$$hole in person as I came off as within the last day. Moving on....

1992 F150 XLT
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'm right there with Rick, TCCoA is a great site for information and is a well known for it all over different forums. I am a member of a couple other forums (mostly mustang forums like corral, tnmustangclub, etc) and I couldn't tell you how many times TCCoA is recommended for specific information. The guys here really know there stuff. But don't forget we go by the rules here, not much will slide like on other forums. And of course most importantly we don't like any BS. It WILL be called out.

Oh, also I'm sure you already know this since you've been here since 2010 but what ever you do don't say anything about the five point four. Or kdanner will come out of his cave.

Anyways good luck with getting low 13s. Keep us posted!

-Patrick

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

racer

I read every post about racing setups.
trying to get a better handle on my cars handling setup.

I can't think of a single suspension part on my car that hasn't been
modded, bent, broken & replaced.

I have a whole list problems:
sorting them of slooowly!

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 07:21 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MTNCAT View Post

I've seen Drillers car go 13.1's in the right conditions at full Weight so a lighter car at some point should be able to improve upon those times possibly.
Correction... Over Weight... LOL

If certain people I know were there that day, they would've been ripping out the interior to see it run 12s.

Kirk, I don't see why you can't fix your header and put the car on the track - now. If you leave it sit, sucking up to your newly acquired love of your life, it will never see low 13s. The opportunity for the right conditions only happens once in a great while, and if you miss it... well, you get my drift.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 PM
5th Gear Poster

I sure would have been happy to have helped lighten it. KStromberg when you finally get it to the track again take some tools so you can remove things if the desire hits you. I'm luck and have a posse when I go.

93 Mark VIII - Vortech S/C 8psi, Kooks headers, 3800 stall, DD valve body, 4:10 gears w/trac-loc, 2 1/2 true duals with a Magnaflow X-pipe resonator, Electric Water Pump, Meth Injection, 17 in Cobra R wheels. [email protected] Pictures http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/for...o=hall&u=16112 Videos http://www.youtube.com/user/1210291341?feature=mhee
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by driller View Post
Kirk, I don't see why you can't fix your header and put the car on the track - now. If you leave it sit, sucking up to your newly acquired love of your life, it will never see low 13s. The opportunity for the right conditions only happens once in a great while, and if you miss it... well, you get my drift.
After my trip to Kansas next week, I will be looking into getting that p.o.s. header patched by my mechanic. I intend to run it next spring, but it simply won't happen this fall. Trust me, I really wanted to run it this fall but I didn't want to pass up this pristine Mark8 in Kansas either because we know that finding a blown8 in mint condition is even more rare than low DA. BUT, I catch your drift. [email protected] 101.72 puts me nowhere near my happy place with the car. I know it has more, and I want it on paper. If I set goals, they are lofty.

1992 F150 XLT

Last edited by KStromberg; 09-29-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in