LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
Does Mason Dixon Dragway Run Downhill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
That track up there looks like its down hill then up hill .
Well its slightly up hill, flat at the stripe, then a downhill dip and back up on the shutdown area.

Thats why the Carolina cars run a few tenths slower up here than at Fayetteville. That means that I need to get my car to Fayettville.

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks so much everyone. I put a lot of time into making that video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MTNCAT View Post
Well its slightly up hill, flat at the stripe, then a downhill dip and back up on the shutdown area.

Thats why the Carolina cars run a few tenths slower up here than at Fayetteville. That means that I need to get my car to Fayettville.
Yea, you need to bring your car to Fayetteville this fall. It would really help your times running at 165'. The closest thing to Mason Dixon here is zMax at 630'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
Another fine production That track up there looks like its down hill then up hill.

Thanks Darren.

... about Mason Dixon:

It is downhill then up at the end but you will run a few tenths slower at MD then at Fayetteville because the track is at a higher elevation. I've looked extensively into this using Google earth and my own GPS.

Fayetteville is at 165' elevation.

According to Google Earth: Mason Dixon starts at 545 feet elevation at the light tree then drops to 530 feet at a track cross over road located at about the 1/8th mile mark. (Minus 15 feet) the track then rises to 539 feet at the finish - plus 9 feet in the second 1/8th mile but still 6 feet below the start line, the run out continues to rise to 565 feet at the turn out.

That's a 1.3° downward angle over the first 660' (1/8th mile) and a .5° rise from the eighth mile to the finish line. Followed by a .8° rise from the finish line to the turn out in the 1,870' of track run out.

Steve may call BS on this but even if these numbers aren't *exactly right there's no doubt in my mind that this track runs down hill. I will check these numbers again with my own GPS when I'm there in July.

Mason Dixon looks like this:

Here's the best picture of the elevation change at Mason Dixon that I have. Unlike other tracks the time signs are not at the end but located at the 1/8th mile mark.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-23-2013 at 10:43 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
I will check these numbers again with my own GPS when I'm there in July.
LOL, unless you have a commercial differential GPS rig, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in those numbers, Google Earth included.

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/gps_elevation.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
All right. I'll give you that JP. I know that your background is in this sort of thing.

I'll take a different approach to my analysis.

How about the track's published elevation at their website of 550' and a USGS map of the area?

Here's the USGS map showing two 20' contour intervals running across the track. Based on this:

The minimum elevation change from start to finish of that track is 5 feet (a quarter of the distance of the contour intervals).
The maximum elevation change is 10 feet (half the distance of the contour intervals); which is actually 4 MORE feet of drop - start to finish - than my Google Earth estimate above.

I'll take a ± 5' deviation from my Google Earth estimate.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-25-2013 at 11:42 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
Not denying any claim of grade of the track, just pointing out the futility of trying to quantify it with GPS.

Besides, any given track day, the car sees much greater elevation changes due to variable atmospheric conditions.

Great video BTW.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Ah, Ok. I wasn't aware that consumer grade GPS units were that inacurate in their elevation measurements.

I also thought about simply laying a level on the track and seeing which way the bubble pointed. LOL

Yea, no doubt about atmospheric variables.

Thanks JP. I put a lot of time into making that video.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Voice/Data Guru

What side of the Mason-Dixon line is the track on ? Yankee engineering J/King , Thanks for the info Ron .

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Well technically the Mason-Dixon line was measured to divide MD from PA and DE after they figured out what to do about Philly... "North" and "South" were divided (officially) by 36°30′ N.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
From alot of guys I talk to Mir is about the fastest track around for what ever reason they say super mineshaft air and it dead hooks

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
From alot of guys I talk to Mir is about the fastest track around for what ever reason they say super mineshaft air and it dead hooks
Not true Robert. MIR, Cecil and VMP are equally fast in the right conditions. Englishtown is the same. I've been on it a couple different times too. I've run all of them at different times over the years. Cecil and MIR seem to hook the best however.

They turn out numbers just like Fayetteville.

As for Mason Dixon, my point was you ARE running up hill from the 1/8th to the stripe (Approx 10ft elevation-top end pull) which is within 5 feet of the starting line elevation. Call it downhill if you like.

I've always run best numbers and MPH at other tracks by 2-2.5 tenths at Cecil, MIR, etc in similar good conditions. I had got the bugs out of the car last spring when I ran my numbers at Mason Dixon. Never got a chance to get it at any other track in good conditions where I could run numbers. It is what it is lol!!!!

I know this also, a couple of the boys that ran at SB11 Last summer picked up 4.25-4.5 10's at Fayettville in November. Different track and conditions but you get the point.

Steve

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"

Last edited by 1MTNCAT; 01-24-2013 at 09:41 AM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Get a string line on it.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 AM
PostWhore

Fayetteville is not a fast track, despite it's elevation. Maybe it's a rough track surface, maybe cause it's uphill to the 1/8th (need to put a level on that track!)

I ran .12 faster at Rockingham than I did at Fayetteville with the same 60' time, same temps. This was back in 2003, ran [email protected] at Fayetteville, and [email protected] at the Rock. My car is intercooled and not temp sensitive to small weather changes.

In the heat, there is no contest, Fayetteville is much slower than the Rock, which doesn't seem to be affected by heat as much.

I only ran at MIR once in my old Talon, it was hot and humid so I ran slow. But people have said MIR and the Rock are comparable. The fact that the Rock doesn't hook anymore is beside the point.

The point is Fayetteville is "average" at best, unless you run in the mine shaft air in the winter, when all other tracks are closed.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'll say this much about consumer GPS's elevation accuracy...

While we were in Miami sitting still in a parking lot last week, the bosses' Garmin said the elevation was -16' all the way to +2' above sea level. I watched it the whole time we were sitting there waiting and the number kept changing the whole time.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, I'll see that in Fla. too. When I'm driving the keys my GARMIN often drop to negative elevation numbers. But when you're in New Orleans and you see that you know it's right! lol

Still, my GARMIN has shown 165' at Faytteville which is correct.

I was pretty impressed with Google Earth in my examination of Mason Dixon above compared to the USGS map. I'd say it's pretty accurate.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Like Titles Matter

Quote:

I was pretty impressed with Google Earth in my examination of Mason Dixon above compared to the USGS map. I'd say it's pretty accurate.
Did you look at Cecil County? I first did a couple of years ago. Downhill all the way, just like the pictures show.

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
LOL

No wonder Steve likes to run there.

No I haven't done an analysis of Cecil and, until you mentioned it, I wasn't aware that that track did run downhill. A quick Google search did bring up lots of references to it running downhill though.

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Actually

Like you running at MD compared to Fayettville/Rockingham TM LOL.

It would be interesting to see what ALL the tracks look like elevation wise and values. Cecil, MIR, Fayettville, Rockingham, Englishtown Etc.

Maybe useful information.

Steve

Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

Last edited by 1MTNCAT; 01-28-2013 at 06:41 AM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
It's not that hard to do... Here, I'll list all the tracks that we use all in one place.

165' - Fayetteville, NC
178' - Old Bridge Township Raceway Park - Englishtown, NJ
318' - Cecil*
430' - Rockingham, NC
550' - Mason Dixon**
630' - zMax - Concord, NC

* 8' down hill grade
** 5' down hill grade

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-28-2013 at 07:08 AM.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
It's not that hard to do... Here, I'll list all the tracks that we use all in one place.

165' - Fayetteville, NC
178' - Old Bridge Township Raceway Park - Englishtown, NJ
318' - Cecil*
430' - Rockingham, NC
550' - Mason Dixon**
630' - zMax - Concord, NC

* 8' down hill grade
** 5' down hill grade

No I meant incrementallly like Mason Dixon to check grade. Oh, and you forgot MIR & VMP.

It still all comes back to all of us running slower at Mason Dixon than anywhere else.

Steve

Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MTNCAT View Post
No I meant incrementallly like Mason Dixon to check grade. Oh, and you forgot MIR & VMP.

It still all comes back to all of us running slower at Mason Dixon than anywhere else.
That's to much work to look at each of them incrementally. I did look at Cecil and came up with 8' as a pretty close estimate of that track's drop in elevation. I'd say the rest of them are very flat with little to no change in elevation. I just looked at the two tracks that were known to run downhill enough for it to be mentioned not only by us but by other racers as well.

You can look up MIR and VMP and let me know what they are - I never run those tracks.

Yes, we run slower at Mason Dixon but I attribute that to running in the heat of summer. Granted - as Driller said - "... any given track day, the cars see much greater elevation changes due to variable atmospheric conditions." However, running down hill doesn't hurt any either...

Looking at my own times; my average run time at Mason Dixon, with an average DA of 2079', is off of my averages for all runs at all tracks by only .359 of a second and 2.577 MPH. - Which isn't that much slower all things considered ...

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-29-2013 at 06:10 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in