My 8th Lemons Race (2018 Sears Pointless) / MadMikeyL's West Coast Adventure - TCCoA Forums
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By S4gunn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
My 8th Lemons Race (2018 Sears Pointless) / MadMikeyL's West Coast Adventure

All:
Since two of my regular teammates couldn't make it this year and I knew MadMikeyL expressed interest in trying out a race on the west coast, I invited him to join us this past weekend. Racing Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway was a first for MadMikeyL and for my buddy Brett and I it was a first to have a "real mechanic" on the team. He returned my tbird in the same condition we gave it to him 2 out of 4 times he took it out... which is only half bad

Prep this time around was pretty simple: the suspension was already pretty well sorted and tested last year @ Laguna Seca, we decided to try Mike's recommended 17" Nitto NT05 tires, and I had opted to upgrade the brakes to 13" rotors/Cobra calipers.
My buddy Brett handled the theme this time and built us a pretty decent UFO; our chicken from our previous themes rode in it and provided continuity. The UFO also served as a base for my 360cam so I will post from videos later.

The pièce de résistance was in my engine mod that added 50Lbs and absolutely ZERO HP. Even before the Lemons Engine Heat BBQ cooking contest was announced, I was already planning to make fritos/cheetos using my tbird. More below.

Lessons Learned
Day 1
* severe warpage on one new cobra rotor. Replaced both front rotors and went back out.
* BIGGEST ISSUE: Pack spare rocker arms, pushrods, and hydraulic lifters. We punched a pushrod through a lifter. Mike brought the car back with a weird backfire sound that came from the intake. After pulling the valve covers, we saw this carnage and had to replace all three. This neccessitated some scrounging from other teams AND a trip back to my home garage in SF. While we lost 4 hours of track time, we made it back just in time to put the engine together (again, having Mike prepare the parts/tools in the exact reinstallation order helped) fast enough to cook the judges some fritos at 6PM. It was on the #4 Cyl exhaust valve which explains the backfire. Either the lifter failed and punched the pushrod through the rocker OR the rocker failed and caused the lifter to fail in turn. Either way, carnage.

Day 2
* Make sure to tighten ALL the rocker arms. Loose rocker caused same noise as with Day 1 but slightly different screw-up. No damage to bottom end though.
* Mike cooked our brake fluids. Solution is to upgrade from ATE Super Blue/TYP200 to Motul RBF600... and maybe add ducts.
* Nittos were amazing when dry but a little squirrelly when wet. I'm a little worried about turn-in (or lack there-of). This may be just that I need to adapt my driving style more to the tires but there were several times when I had to late brake because I didnt' feel the car turning when expected. Generally pretty reliable when we exceeded traction though (unlike the BFG Rivals which felt all over the place).

Bottom line: It's hard to make up for 4 hours of lost track time even though our car is apparently capable of doing pretty well if we keep it running reliably. Our best lap times was 2:04 (8 sec or so better than last years' best lap time) compared to the winners who were lapping at 2:00. Mike was good for a consistent 2:08 and I could
All three of us are clean drivers

Most Glorious Engine Mod Ever
I watched a video on Youtube last year on how cheetos were made and thought to myself -- I bet I could build this onto my tbird. My engineering professors would have been so proud that I'm putting my degree to use.

While another team DID make a 3 course meal using sous vide using their car and walked away with a Richard Simmons cookbook, we came away with 4 "Black Flag Pardons". I think we got a better deal.

I'm not sure how I'll top this but I have 2 years to come up with something; I plan to take a small hiatus from lemons racing to do the Mexican 1000 next year.
-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:42 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
All:
Since two of my regular teammates couldn't make it this year and I knew MadMikeyL expressed interest in trying out a race on the west coast, I invited him to join us this past weekend. Racing Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway was a first for MadMikeyL and for my buddy Brett and I it was a first to have a "real mechanic" on the team. He returned my tbird in the same condition we gave it to him 2 out of 4 times he took it out... which is only half bad

Prep this time around was pretty simple: the suspension was already pretty well sorted and tested last year @ Laguna Seca, we decided to try Mike's recommended 17" Nitto NT05 tires, and I had opted to upgrade the brakes to 13" rotors/Cobra calipers.
My buddy Brett handled the theme this time and built us a pretty decent UFO; our chicken from our previous themes rode in it and provided continuity. The UFO also served as a base for my 360cam so I will post from videos later.

The pièce de résistance was in my engine mod that added 50Lbs and absolutely ZERO HP. Even before the Lemons Engine Heat BBQ cooking contest was announced, I was already planning to make fritos/cheetos using my tbird. More below.

Lessons Learned
Day 1
* severe warpage on one new cobra rotor. Replaced both front rotors and went back out.
* BIGGEST ISSUE: Pack spare rocker arms, pushrods, and hydraulic lifters. We punched a pushrod through a lifter. Mike brought the car back with a weird backfire sound that came from the intake. After pulling the valve covers, we saw this carnage and had to replace all three. This neccessitated some scrounging from other teams AND a trip back to my home garage in SF. While we lost 4 hours of track time, we made it back just in time to put the engine together (again, having Mike prepare the parts/tools in the exact reinstallation order helped) fast enough to cook the judges some fritos at 6PM. It was on the #4 Cyl exhaust valve which explains the backfire. Either the lifter failed and punched the pushrod through the rocker OR the rocker failed and caused the lifter to fail in turn. Either way, carnage.

Day 2
* Make sure to tighten ALL the rocker arms. Loose rocker caused same noise as with Day 1 but slightly different screw-up. No damage to bottom end though.
* Mike cooked our brake fluids. Solution is to upgrade from ATE Super Blue/TYP200 to Motul RBF600... and maybe add ducts.
* Nittos were amazing when dry but a little squirrelly when wet. I'm a little worried about turn-in (or lack there-of). This may be just that I need to adapt my driving style more to the tires but there were several times when I had to late brake because I didnt' feel the car turning when expected. Generally pretty reliable when we exceeded traction though (unlike the BFG Rivals which felt all over the place).

Bottom line: It's hard to make up for 4 hours of lost track time even though our car is apparently capable of doing pretty well if we keep it running reliably. Our best lap times was 2:04 (8 sec or so better than last years' best lap time) compared to the winners who were lapping at 2:00. Mike was good for a consistent 2:08 and I could
All three of us are clean drivers

Most Glorious Engine Mod Ever
I watched a video on Youtube last year on how cheetos were made and thought to myself -- I bet I could build this onto my tbird. My engineering professors would have been so proud that I'm putting my degree to use.

While another team DID make a 3 course meal using sous vide using their car and walked away with a Richard Simmons cookbook, we came away with 4 "Black Flag Pardons". I think we got a better deal.

I'm not sure how I'll top this but I have 2 years to come up with something; I plan to take a small hiatus from lemons racing to do the Mexican 1000 next year.
-g
THat's pretty damn awesome!

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 01:37 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
This is awesome, guys!!

Mikey looks good in there; I'd love to hears his "Coastal Perspective".

S4Gunn, you and your team are some of the most creative guys I've seen; keep up the good work.

I'd frame the punched rocker; along with pix of the fritos and Cheetos, lol.

Keep up the Good Work!!

PS: I love the last pic; the little girl looks like she wants more fritos.

"Dang it, quit mugging for the camera, and work this thing!"

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 08:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Nice work there Gunn
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I finally got around to (correctly) processing a 360 cam video and uploading it to youtube.
This is a typical stint @ Sears Pointless; I don't see a bunch of caution flags on this clip which can often happen as people break their cars and/or run into each other.

I don't recall if this was Brett, Mike, or myself driving.
1) If you open this video up on your PC, you can use your mouse to scroll around the video on youtube.
2) If you open this video link on your phone, you will be able to scroll around by pointing your phone in the direction you want to look and the video will move accordingly.

I'm now going to look for more interesting videos which I'll add if I find them.
This camera is a Wunder 360 C1 (the second cam from this chinese mfg -- first gen being the Evomotion ROD1). I think the quality is a little worse than the ROD1 but hey, it's an $80 camera (in volume).

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 06:12 AM
5th Gear Poster

nice to watch video of a car passing others.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in