• 7 Post By MikeB
  • 1 Post By MikeB
  • 1 Post By Trunk Monkey
  • 1 Post By MikeB

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

First Drag Strip Runs with New Combination

I made it out to Milan Dragway last evening for the first time since the new motor got completed and tuned. Weather was far from optimum, with air temps in the low to mid 90s, but traction was good. The NT05Rs fully met my expectations! I only made two successful runs, but both were significant improvements over my previous personal best of 11.96 @ 117 mph:
Run #1: 11.45 @ 122 mph with 1.77 60-foot. This was launching from an idle.
Run #2: 11.28 @ 123 mph with 1.69 60-foot. This was launching with some brake torque.

I tried a third run with more brake torque, but the car pushed through and I red lit. Waited in line until sunset for a fourth run, but they kept shutting the track down for cleanups and I finally packed up and left. May try again next Wednesday if weather permits. I'm pretty sure that the car has a 10 second run in it in cooler air and if I can optimize the launch RPM.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Milan 6-26-19.pdf (210.6 KB, 15 views)
Irv, 70bird, Grog6 and 4 others like this.

MikeB
1997 Thunderbird Sport
5.0L-2V PI S/C
540 RWHP / 492 RWTQ
11.28 @ 123 MPH

Last edited by MikeB; 06-27-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:11 AM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Well done sir, and you did the Epic Drive also. Outstanding I look forward to seeing ya break into the 10's

Read ya later,Nick
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Thanks! It is amazing how different the car feels with the new setup. The burnout is bigger, the sound of the engine going down track is louder, the sensation of speed going through the traps is more thrilling. It was quick enough to be entertaining before, but now it is actually fast. I got a lot of positive feedback about the car and its performance from other racers and bystanders. Now I just need to learn the optimum technique for launching. I'm close enough to the 10's that I know I'm going to fixate on reaching them. If this level of power won't do it, I have a smaller pulley........
Zep5.0 likes this.

MikeB
1997 Thunderbird Sport
5.0L-2V PI S/C
540 RWHP / 492 RWTQ
11.28 @ 123 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:35 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Congrats Mike! It will be the first Tbird to break into the 10's in quite some time.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:33 PM
PostWhore

Congrats!

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I went back to Milan last evening on a quest for better ETs, but did not get them. On my second run, the throttle cable pulled out of the end fitting and the engine dropped to idle. Couldn’t find a replacement fitting, so I ended up modifying a carburetor jet purchased from the track shop to use as a bolt, and borrowed a drill to make a hole in the throttle body arm. Luckily, I had a nut which matched the threads on the jet. Anyway, after 2-1/2 hours in very hot and humid conditions, I had a functioning throttle, so I swapped tires, packed up and headed home. Will try making some runs this fall when it isn’t so hot.
Trunk Monkey likes this.

MikeB
1997 Thunderbird Sport
5.0L-2V PI S/C
540 RWHP / 492 RWTQ
11.28 @ 123 MPH
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:24 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds like a plan. I had issues too the last time I went to the track the alternator on my car decided to take a dump. Like you it took about two hours to source another one and swap them out. Hoping for better ETs this fall. Let's see if we can't get both of our cars into the 10's!

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:02 PM
4th Gear Poster

Dude!!! That thing is haulin! Congrats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in