TCCoA Forums banner

Brake Fluid leak

876 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Jeff Bratton 
#1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post on this site. I have been at SCCOA but for some reason my computer is not letting my go to that site for the past month. It says there is a Gateway Timeout Error. I don't get it. Anyway so I'm here now...great site!

So, I have a break fluid leak coming from somewhere at the master cylinder/accumulator area. I see leakage under the hose going from the reservior to the brake boost (I guess that's what it is). However I cannot find the place of origin. Does anyone have some suggestions to look or better a diagram, parts, exploded view of that area. It would be most appreciated!

Thank you
Metalman

#2 ·
Metalman -

I may of had the same thing happen to me, the way you are describing it. On mine I looked and looked and finally found that my leak was coming from not sure what the sensor is called but it was 'LITE GREEN' in color and had a hex type nut at the base of it. It has a plug that plugs into it as well. I took it out and replaced the O-ring on it and reinstalled it and leaking stopped.

Hope that this may help you out!

Good Luck! :D

Jeff B.

P. S. - I'll try and find out what that sensor is actual called for you if you have trouble locating it. In order to see it , look from under the vehicle w/ flashlight.

#3 ·
I looked at it today. I found the sensor. It is called the Pressure Warning Switch. That looks like the leak could be coming from there. Did you get the replacement O-ring from the dealership? Is there any fluid pressure I have to worry about when unscrewing this?

Thanks for you help,

Metalman

#4 ·
That O-ring replacement actually came from some assortment pack I picked up from Harbor frieght, you should be able to match it up by taking it off and going to your favorite auto parts store and they should be able to get one for you or FORD may have one as well yes. I actually changed out my accumulator at the same time I changed that pressure warning switch.

To be safe, just turn your key forward to the "ON" position only and pump your brakes 25 times continuously and that will relieve the pressure. After installing you should not have to bleed the brakes, at least I did not. Still had a stiff pedal.

I hope that you get it and Always glad to help!! :)

Good Luck!

Jeff B.

#5 · (Edited)
Clean everything very well then allow a couple of days for it to leak, then inspect it again. I just rebuilt my Brake pump assembly and installed a new accumulator, not as hard as it sounds. Mine was leaking from the inlet tube rubber fitting on the motor assembly. I have pictures if you would like a walk through on how to do the rebuild. The pump o-ring is the biggest problem. Its a square-cut ring and the fluid will distort and enlarge it over time. Just make sure your o-rings are the correct type for brake fluid. The reservoir to master cylinder assembly is another likely spot for leaks to occur. My o-rings come from a assortment kit we use for aircraft. You local NAPA or Auto Zone should have an assortment you can chose from. Buna-N O-rings work.
---Max

#6 ·
Mickey, If you can provide pictures, that would be awesome! Thanks. My email is ageluso@hotmail.com

Jeff, I haven't looked yet, but is the o-ring kit you bought a generic o-ring kit or specific to the ABS system. I called Ford today and all the Mark II o-rings they had are now obsolete. I couldn't believe that. What schmucks they are! And no one I called today, from local brake shops to prior remanufacturing sells the o-rings seperately. Those bastards ;)

Thanks again,
Metalman

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.