Joel Bender Memorial Nats - Summer Blast VII - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 95Tbird_Girl Send a message via MSN to 95Tbird_Girl Send a message via Yahoo to 95Tbird_Girl
Exclamation Joel Bender Memorial Nats - Summer Blast VII

Posted by 1MTNCAT via www.mamn12.com:

Well Folks, I never thought I'd even consider this but I have some information for everyone here to consider and help me out with making a decision!

As everyone knows I started this event several years ago as Summer Blast I and has gone on to be called the Joel Bender Memorial Nats - SB#. The purpose for starting it was to get local and regional enthusiasts for our MN12 chassis cars, FN10 and the Fox body (Thunderbirds, Cougars, Lincoln) cars. It was tied to this site as our annual event. It was done to draw interest, share information, have fun, race and see the cars progress. It was also done in a way that it was pretty affordable for the weekend. In light of that, times have changed!!!!

I need everyone's input here!!! Particularly those that attend every year and are planning to attend this year !!

1. The price of fuel has skyrocketed with no apparent end in sight at this time. For what most of us run (Fuel wise) we are looking at least at $4+ per gallon by the time August rolls around. (Its already that here)!! Travel expenses are going to be very high.

2. The prices of everything has gone up considerably and will continue to rise as the price of fuel does. That means hotels, meals and all other things that involve such events.

3. Lots of business' have tightened their belts and are doing less in giveaways and promotions to help due to rising costs. Not saying I can't get the support this year but they are generally weighing the value more, whether or not it will be a help to their business, before providing. Less in the way of donations will in fact cause those a little more to attend and still keep the same amount of revenue we normally acquire. It takes approximatley $700 dollars or more to hold this event annually. Thats donations, trohpies, park rental, fees for attendance, meal, giveaways, etc. Of course the balance goes to the forum general fund.

The bottom line is, its going to cost considerably more to participate in both travel expenditures and initial cost to hold this event. We've always been blessed to have enough to cover and then some in years past to place toward the cost of the forums, etc. That is getting more difficult to do. My main concern is not for the local guys and gals but those that have to travel hours to get here and stay up at rooms for 1-2 nights. That participation is essential to us having successful turnouts, a good show, and the comraderie we all enjoy. My sole purpose was to hold an event where we could all meet during the year, and for it to be somewhat centrally located to our membership and to be afFORDable!!!

The question I ask is this???????

A. Do we continue to have the event this year. Yes or no

B. Do we decide to cancel the event but consider for next year??

If someone would please pass this post on to the other folks that frequent this event it would be appreciated. I'd surely like to have their input into this too!!! We will need to be making a decision soon. Once we have then we will proceed whichever way we need to.

Thanks for your help and consideration!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 SE Coupe
"Bullitt" 4.6L

IN MEMORY OF MY FRIEND JOEL BENDER 1979-2006"
13.2 & 103.6 MPH, 1.81 60 NA
11.89 & 113MPH, 1.57 60 ft. Juiced

Just a measley 350 HP!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by - 1MTNCAT on April 24 2008 08:32:58

"It's Not My Daddy's TBird"'
Webmaster Mid-Atlantic Chapter TCCOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:15 AM
PostWhore

Cool

This is my view as to how it pertains to me. And maybe some others may feel this way as well, or not? I don't get out much . And that's for several reasons. One being back problems, and of course finances because I'm on a fixed income. But I do try to pick one or two things to go to during the summer and fall. Since I know in advance where I plan on going, I can plan for it. That means I save a little every month. Of course I can't plan for unforeseen things (like having to get a tooth pulled). But I look forward to just those couple times a year I do plan to "go out". So I don't mind squeezing the belt alittle to do it. Next year may come and I may not . So I like to make time when I can. I think taking a poll and getting some input is a good idea. I'm still in if the decision is made to have the event, and I'll offer any help I can give. Bill.........
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:27 AM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
im with bill... its not just another weekend at the track, its a once a year event that i am anxious to be a part of again this year.

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Koolbreeze

Send a message via AIM to AndyR
if the show goes on, I will be there.

She was driving the car, one thumb on the wheel; cigarette burnin, life to her was no big deal.
Her thin, white tanktop was almost see-thru; I've always been attracted to her dragon tattoo.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 05:35 PM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
apparently no one mentioned it here, but it is definately a go. Summer Blast will happen in 2008.

-John
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 06:57 PM
5th Gear Poster

as ive told everyone ill be there no matter what...the show must go on!

Ed
94 Thunderbird 4.6 PI

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Ox
6th Gear Poster

I'm in. Already took off work. Now hopefully the 96 will be tuned and ready to run.

95 4.6 [email protected] 1.748 60' (drag tune with drag radials and racing gas) Street Tune: 288HP and 326TQ Body Retired-Engine and other goodies transferred below)

96 4.6 [email protected], 349HP and 380TQ on pump gas and drag radials.

Funded by me built by the man RobertP
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 PM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
As has been stated, it is on!!!!!

We will get preparations underway soon after the Ford Carlisle Event the beginning of June.

Hope to see everyone!!!!!!!!

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Resident Line Creator

Send a message via AIM to th3subtl3on3
Wonder if there will be a need for a new hat design for 2008...

-Brian
1989 Mercury Cougar - Anything but the Ordinary

Fully Built 4.2 Coming Soon, Parts include:
SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

It May Not Be Pretty When Finished, But It'll Perform Pretty Darn Well.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 10:17 PM
Street Freekz

Send a message via MSN to 96_Cougar Send a message via Yahoo to 96_Cougar
Already took the days off work this year in advance so I plan to attend. Hope to see you all there.

Hopefully I can get my Cougar ready for it in time.....

In Memory of FD 420

"This will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave" ~ Elmer Davis, American news commentator (1890-1958). God bless all veterans: past & present.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in