SSHS6 Nov 4th 2006 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

SSHS6 Nov 4th 2006

http://sshs6.com

The Southern Super Heavy Shootout is held at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, GA, and this year will be held on Saturday, November 4th, 2006. The event is a premier drag racing and car show event for any American muscle car weighing in at over 4000 lbs. Most attendees are Chevy B-Bodies (Impala SS, Caprice Sedan/Wagon), but we have been getting a great turnout in the Ford crowd with Mark VII's, Mark VIII's, and Marauders. The competition is strong, but it is all friendly which makes SSHS a great family event.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 10:13 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
I'm registered.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Honorary Member

We're thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-03-2006, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

it all depends on me getting that friday off from work. if i can then im there!!!

CMP Drag Racing
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 10:27 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRattlehead
it all depends on me getting that friday off from work. if i can then im there!!!
You want me to call your boss and tell him you're needed for a family emergency?

Hopefully you'll make it and we'll get to see you make a few passes this year.

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are:
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Hmmmmm... heck of a way to break in a new car.. I'm not even sure GB'll be done by then. And I have no idea if she'll be competitive with the Big Dogs, with the big pulley and a break in tune, probably not. Those guys are all bottled and ultra fast...

But if she's done I might come up and make a few passes in the 12 or 13 second bracket, depending on how she's running.... or make a few passes non-competitive just to be there and watch some of the racing.

If we get enough Ford guys there, maybe I'd enter the Show & Shine, but with all the Chevy folks around, it would be tough to do much at that show.

As we get closer to the date, I'll figger it out. It may be about the last time you guys up that way will get a chance to see her before she heads south for the winter. Depending on how many TCCoA guys we get going to the event, I might just bring her up to show her around.

Looks like under the new rules, I'll need a fire jacket... you too, Eric... and Scott.. and anyone SC.

-mike

96 GoldBird

'96 T-Bird LX 4.6L Alive & well & living in S. Florida

N/A:
Renegade NPI heads/Comp Cams; OEM intake manifold; Bolt-ons
245 rwhp; 13.713 @ 99.35 (Commerce, GA - November 2003)

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 10:54 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 GoldBird
...If we get enough Ford guys there, maybe I'd enter the Show & Shine, but with all the Chevy folks around, it would be tough to do much at that show.

As we get closer to the date, I'll figger it out. It may be about the last time you guys up that way will get a chance to see her before she heads south for the winter. Depending on how many TCCoA guys we get going to the event, I might just bring her up to show her around.....
Based on last year's attendees maybe that should be Lincoln/Mercury guys? And just in case it matters, we'd like to see her too... Not many 'Birds there last year and the one or two that were were in the show. At least one said he was underweight to race... I'm old so there may be a faulty memory at work here but I don't think a Thunderbird or Cougar even made a pass last year?

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Looks like under the new rules, I'll need a fire jacket... you too, Eric... and Scott.. and anyone SC.

-mike
aftermarket sc, turbo or any nitrous needs a jacket, i got mine last spring.

CMP Drag Racing

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodaa
Based on last year's attendees maybe that should be Lincoln/Mercury guys? And just in case it matters, we'd like to see her too... Not many 'Birds there last year and the one or two that were were in the show. At least one said he was underweight to race... I'm old so there may be a faulty memory at work here but I don't think a Thunderbird or Cougar even made a pass last year?
i think one cougar made a pass if i remember correctly. i'll have to check my pics to see if i have one or two. and i think there was maybe 6-7 birds there also. i've been trekiing from houston the last 3 years and its a blast everytime. hope to be there this years, but who knows. i know the car wont make it, but can still cheer for the ford big bodies. you guys should come over and mingle with the mark VII and VIII guys if ya'll come. i hjave a few pics on cardomain if you wanna see. pics from the event are on 9 and 10.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2063731
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I gotta say that the Impala guys do a really good job of running the event and making us Ford guys feel welcome. I participated in #3 and had a blast. There were about 25 or so MN12s there - about half participated.. Blake came up from TX, there were a couple from Florida, Tennessee, NC, SC, the Midwest... from all over... That was back in '03 when JL was living in 13's N/A, and a bunch of guys were just getting there. There was a lot of entusiasm about our platforms getting in range to challenge the stock and slightly modified Mustangs, and we were all pretty much working together for a common goal.... After the race, the MN12 guys went to dinner and there were about 30 people all together.

I went the following year as an observer and there were way fewer MN12's. Even though we had more cars that could run low 14's and 13's and better, there seemed to be less enthusiasm about taking it to the Chevy guys.

Now we have a lot of fast MN12s out there, N/A and SC and bottled. We could field a pretty large team. I don't know whether it's 'cause it's late in the season, or Atlanta is out of the way for everyone, or what but it seems like not many guys are interested.

Granted, it's not NMRA, or NHRA, or an FFW, or any kind of sanctioned event where you can gain points, or win money, but it's a FUN event. Serious racers, serious racing, but not a real serious atmosphere. Guys pitchin' in to help other guys, running around scrounging parts and tools.. the usual thing, and all good natured.. at least that was my impression. A great way for the club guys to meet each other in person and shoot the ****. You don't have to enter the event to run your car, there is open Sportsman racing for non-participants, if you wanna take a couple of passes, or if there is a grudge race out there that needs to be settled...

I'd love to see a couple of the Texas guys come up, and EECDOC and BullitBird and Eric Z and and Darrin, and James with the FL contingent. Heck, except for the Big Dogs, it's bracket racing, so if you know what your car will do, and your consistent, you got a shot.. I think we could put on quite a show for the Chevy guys...

I don't honestly know if GB will be race-ready, or even street driveable when this happens... but if I hear that a bunch of TCCoA guys are gonna be up there, I'll take a drive up in the vette just to hang out and take a couple of passes.

And I wouldn't be too surprised to see Big Scott up there either... if GB's not done, I'd give him the day off....

-mike
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 12:11 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
... it's a FUN event. Serious racers, serious racing, but not a real serious atmosphere. Guys pitchin' in to help other guys, running around scrounging parts and tools.. the usual thing, and all good natured.. at least that was my impression. A great way for the club guys to meet each other in person and shoot the ****. You don't have to enter the event to run your car, there is open Sportsman racing for non-participants, if you wanna take a couple of passes, or if there is a grudge race out there that needs to be settled...

I'd love to see a couple of the Texas guys come up, and EECDOC and BullitBird and Eric Z and and Darrin, and James with the FL contingent. Heck, except for the Big Dogs, it's bracket racing, so if you know what your car will do, and your consistent, you got a shot.. I think we could put on quite a show for the Chevy guys...

I don't honestly know if GB will be race-ready, or even street driveable when this happens... but if I hear that a bunch of TCCoA guys are gonna be up there, I'll take a drive up in the vette just to hang out and take a couple of passes.

And I wouldn't be too surprised to see Big Scott up there either... if GB's not done, I'd give him the day off....

-mike
And then there's the guy that stages the rear wheels in a 'Vette.....

Put down the rock Mike, like you said, it's fun.

I've enjoyed myself every year I've gone. First one was kind of cool and windy but the last 2 the weather has been gorgeous and like Mike says, GASSIT runs a good event.

The main difference I see between the Ford guys and the Chevy are that we seem to be much more fragmented (dare I say less organized?) than they are. The Ford guys even stage up *next* to each other instead of behind so the FLM products (minority) end up killing each other off in the early rounds. If we could stop doing that we'd probably show them a lot more. But if you don't think you have a chance remember a stock Dodge Durango won the King of the Hill last year and "Within Budget", a mid 80s Mercury *station wagon* won it prior to that.

It would be nice to see some of the faster Fords out there. Us stockers don't give the Impala boys much of a run. Some of the Marauder guys come from quite a ways off and there was a Mark contingent there from Houston last year so interest seems to be picking up in pockets. Maybe someday it'll grow into an event with a purse....

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

no can do this year

moving at that time.. plus have new baby on the way following week

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
And then there's the guy that stages the rear wheels in a 'Vette.....
Actually it was Cougie I was driving. I was trying to get a head start....... and I was so nervous, I made the whole run in 2nd gear...

Several guys have had a good laugh out of that one over the years, including me... But if you can't laugh at yourself, you take yourself too seriously...

.. and it did take us a round to realize we were eliminating each other... we kinda forgot about the competition against the Chevies, and wanted to run each other... A Chevy eliminated GB, though. GB hooked and ran like she hadn't run on that track all day, and I broke out by 3 tenths. I was looking at the Chevy I was running over my right shoulder at the 1000' mark... that should have told me something, huh? But the most fun was when Eric and I ran one another after he was eliminated.... Blake actually caught that one on video...

-mike
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-27-2006, 01:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesD
have new baby on the way following week
That's no excuse, you'll be back by then.

-mike
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Scott is doin' his darndest to get 'er done in time.

If she's tuned and buttoned up, I'll be going up to Atlanta and we'll be coming up Saturday morning.

It'll be cutting it really close and it is not for sure, but we're gonna try to make it. I don't know if Scott will be running Cougie, one way or the other.

I'd like to take a couple passes to see how she'll do with a conservative (break-in) tune and the big pulley.

We'll update when we know more.

-mike

96 GoldBird

N/A:

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Koolbreeze

Send a message via AIM to AndyR
can't see literally 'sandbagging' to the tune of 300+ lbs at an already slow track, just to bracket race.
BUT
I'll be there spectating

it's a good time every year.

She was driving the car, one thumb on the wheel; cigarette burnin, life to her was no big deal.
Her thin, white tanktop was almost see-thru; I've always been attracted to her dragon tattoo.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, the 4000# with driver thing kinda sux for us... most of us realy didn't qualify at 3800# empty, unless we were running a full tank of gas and some heavy stereo equipment and JL's braces, etc.

Since I'm 250#, and with all the added parts and the water in the intercooler system and the roll cage, etc. I'm pretty sure GB should be over 4000# with me in her, but I'm not there to win anything anyway. I'd just like to get a few shake-out runs in and hang out for the good times.

Scott's supposed to drop GB off with the tuner tomorrow. He's got the factory Ford engine analyzer at his shop and he's supposed to give her a full check up tomorrow and then get her to the rollers when everything checks out ok...

It's gonna be cutting it close, but we may just make it before Saturday. If things move along, I'll be driving up to ATL on Thursday and Commerce Saturday morning.

-mike
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Koolbreeze

I was just in Commerce friday on my way back from ATL.

miserable drive in the rain, but i did discover the joys of the Dairy Queen

I was lookin around goin: "Yep, i'll be back next weekend"

That's gonna be alot of drivin for you, ain't it?

She was driving the car, one thumb on the wheel; cigarette burnin, life to her was no big deal.
Her thin, white tanktop was almost see-thru; I've always been attracted to her dragon tattoo.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

good luck with it mike. i wont be there not going to be able to get the time off.

get pics

CMP Drag Racing

post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-29-2006, 10:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyR
That's gonna be alot of drivin for you, ain't it?
About 8 hours to ATL, but I'll probably split it 4 Wednesday nite and 4 Thurs morning, then 4 Sun and 4 Mon coming back. It's no so bad, the C6 drives itself.

I just have to keep my eyes open for stray deer....

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Thanks, Keith I hope it works out so we can do the "unveiling" thing up there. The tracks close up there in "north" country shortly thereafter and if we don't do it then, it might not be 'til I get her back here to Florida, probably after Christmas...

I don't know about pictures... I don't want someone posting me staging my rear tires and running in second gear....

again...

but seriously, I'm planning on movies and stills....

Let's just hope we can get 'er done....

-mike
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:20 PM
Koolbreeze

Quote:
I just have to keep my eyes open for stray deer....

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

-mike
You may be kidding but you don't know how right you are.
I was driving between ATL and Americus/Columbus late one night last week.
Saw 3 deer standing on the side of the road in two different places; frozen in my headlights.
Saw 2-3 carcasses over the next couple days on the side of the road.

No joke dude. Keep your eyes peeled.
If you see one and miss it, keep your eyes open for his buddies.

It's gotten so bad at home, it merited a quick little story on the news.

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Who is John Galt?

MAW!!! Fetch me my shootin' iron! We're havin' deer stew tonight!

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'm sorry Andy... I may have misunderstood..

did you say you MISSED three deer??

I'll be on I-75 for the whole trip to ATL, and the trip up to Commerce should be after daylight, so we should miss em..

-mike
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:52 PM
Koolbreeze

Quote:
I'm sorry Andy... I may have misunderstood..

did you say you MISSED three deer??

I'll be on I-75 for the whole trip to ATL, and the trip up to Commerce should be after daylight, so we should miss em..

-mike
trust me
this is when they come out and start movin around

speaking of deer stew...
You ever had deer in lasagna instead of beef? mmmmmm mmm mmmm
and chilli beans
and just about anything else you but hamburger in

post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 08:49 AM
PostWhore

Are you thinking T&T Friday night Mike or keeping it under wraps until Saturday morn... ?

Btw - I hear hunting deer with a 'Vette is tough, nose is too low and they end up in the back seat if the top's down. Wear that fancy helment if you're out early or at dusk.

post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 09:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Are you thinking T&T Friday night Mike or keeping it under wraps until Saturday morn... ?
Some issues have raised their ugly heads with regard to GB and the tuning process is being delayed. Scott won't let her race until she has a clean bill of health. He and Aric Carrion (formerly with Team Ford, now with Injected Engineering) are working on her today, but the focus is not getting running for the race, it's resolving all the issues.. It's still a one day at a time thing whether we make it. I've got my stuff packed, if I get the word, I'm there.

I'd like to take a pass or two on Friday nite, but it's quite a little drive from ATL to Commerce and back (I didn't reserve a room) for just a few passes. And I imagine we'll still be working on her to get her ready on Friday nite, or if the issues aren't resolved, or if others appear, I won't be racing.

-mike

96 GoldBird

N/A:

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 10:34 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
.... Scott won't let her race until she has a clean bill of health.

-mike
Figured that. Just want to make sure I'm paying attention and don't miss something.

post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Overkill Fetish Freak

How a brand new O2 sensor could be dead is beyond me... Mike is on the road, GB goes on the dyno in the morning, I'm sick and my feet hurt.

Any guesses as to what she will make... I'm thinking 6 hundyish.

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. FrankenCougie
[
Any guesses as to what she will make... I'm thinking 6 hundyish.

CMP Drag Racing

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 09:33 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

which pulley is on there?

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in