New Star Wars Trailer - Page 5 - TCCoA Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 02:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
No matter Who plays Vader, in My mind, it's James Earl Jones.
Good thing he still is voicing him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 02:27 PM
Bird-Aholic

Garage
Just saw it this morning. 3.5 out of 5. Good but hurried in spots...Lots of stuff piled into the movie...
What's odd is if you watch ANH or ESB they seem rather slow and far less action...IMHO they're better.
This is a good movie, don't get me wrong, but it's playing to a modern audience accustomed to looking down at their phones for instant entertainment...

I'll buy the DVD when it comes out, that's for sure!

God created Arakis to train the faithful... One cannot go against the word of God.........
post #123 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
That's the problem I find in most movies lately, slow is not a bad thing, proper pacing builds tension and suspense and if it moves too fast whatever good or bad things the characters go through is lessened emotionally on the viewer. Darth Vader revealing he was Luke's father in Empire was a huge climatic scene because through a big chunk of the movie he was training with Yoda on degobah, and Vader trying to track him down in what was essentially managerial role on the super star destroyer. If the action never slowed down between the hoth battle and the luke/Vader confrontation the movie would have been completely forgettable. Same with ANH between Leah's ship getting boarded all the way to the Death Star battle, what action happened between didn't dominate the movie, it was mostly dialogue.

The prequels, like them or not, did at least balance out the action in the two hours the way the originals did, they were just way over the top corny in the slow scenes and way over the top choreographed in the action scenes. TFA, RO, and from the sounds of it TLJ was better in every way in the areas that the prequels were bad, but I think they overcompensated by screwing with the pacing too.

-Matt
post #124 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 04:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I actually thought the pacing on this one was significantly slower than TFA or RO, and much closer to the pacing of ROTJ. Yes, there was more action than the originals, but other than Finn's subplot, all the action went toward the plot and building the climax, as opposed to being a distraction.

The one thing that I simply can't get used to though, and I'm probably the only one bothered by this, but Chewbacca is just not the same without Peter Mayhew in there! I can't pick out any particular fault with the costume, or the actor, or the sounds, but it just isn't Chewie. It is like someone swapped your dog out for another of the same breed with very similar markings, and tried to tell you it is your dog, but you know that its not. In TFA, the role was split between Peter Mayhew and the new guy, so it just felt like watching Chewie's stunt double, but with no Peter Mayhew in this one, it didn't feel like I was watching Chewbacca.
Natesriv likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #125 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Bird-Aholic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
I actually thought the pacing on this one was significantly slower than TFA or RO, and much closer to the pacing of ROTJ. Yes, there was more action than the originals, but other than Finn's subplot, all the action went toward the plot and building the climax, as opposed to being a distraction.

The one thing that I simply can't get used to though, and I'm probably the only one bothered by this, but Chewbacca is just not the same without Peter Mayhew in there! I can't pick out any particular fault with the costume, or the actor, or the sounds, but it just isn't Chewie. It is like someone swapped your dog out for another of the same breed with very similar markings, and tried to tell you it is your dog, but you know that its not. In TFA, the role was split between Peter Mayhew and the new guy, so it just felt like watching Chewie's stunt double, but with no Peter Mayhew in this one, it didn't feel like I was watching Chewbacca.
Exactly! Same with Yoda! (spoiler)
The movie's good, but it moves so fast from one "we gotta blow this up" to one "we gotta get here" scene...
I'm going to see it again when it comes out on DVD which will be soon, they know $$ when they see it.

All in all a very well made movie...but I'm just not sure where they're going with the whole plot...

God created Arakis to train the faithful... One cannot go against the word of God.........
post #126 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 12:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
You know Yoda was played by Frank Oz right
post #127 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 03:54 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
+1 while Yoda was for sure a muppet, Jim Henson didn't voice him. Muppet Yoda is way different in appearance than CGI Yoda though, I hated the way he was portrayed in Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith

-Matt
post #128 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 08:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Frank Oz always voiced Yoda
post #129 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 09:54 AM
Bird-Aholic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
And Miss Piggy and a bunch of others...

post #130 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natesriv View Post
Quote:
And Miss Piggy and a bunch of others...
His best role was still in blues brothwrs
post #131 of 138 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 02:16 PM
Bird-Aholic

Garage
Quote:
His best role was still in blues brothers
Short cameo, but great.
BTW, that movie is a masterpiece!

post #132 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 05:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
New trailer is out!

Trunk Monkey and CDsDontBurn like this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #133 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:31 PM
PostWhore

I'm excited!!!

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #134 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Palpatine returns eh?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 159k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 150k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 176k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #135 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Trailer looks good ... continuing in the tradition of over-the-top CGI in liu of plot. (Actually, I did like it.)

Jumping over a Tie fighter? Looks great, but really?

Not a fan of the Joker laugh at the end.

BTW, Last week I took my family to see the original STAR WARS movie with the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra playing the soundtrack live! Now, that was a once-in-a-lifetime experience! My favorite part was the awards ceremony and closing credits music. I never thought I'd describe a symphony as "Rocking" but wow! They were rocking that soundtrack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StarWars-Belk-Theatre-Slide-e1f0828844.jpg (75.0 KB, 24 views)

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 04-15-2019 at 09:23 AM.
post #136 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 11:27 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
That’s pretty neat! They should do that for Empire, that one had the best score IMO, and it seemed more omnipresent throughout the movie than in the original.

I’m eh on this trailer based on the title alone. The Rise of Skywalker? That’s a tad specific isn’t it? I mean they didn’t call Episode VI “Return of Skywalker”, or for that matter Episode V “Darth Vader Strikes Back”, it sounds like a fan fiction title, which these new movies all resemble to me anyway. I’m burned out on this Skywalker saga end of the franchise, it’s all style and camera angles trying to mask the full retread of the original franchise but with less interesting characters. Jumping over a tie interceptor flying ground level in the desert for several minutes no reason? Yep, that’s about par for the course at this point. Is it nerdy I was disappointed it was revealed to be a Tie fighter and not a landspeeder?

-Matt
post #137 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 03:14 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post

BTW, Last week I took my family to see the original STAR WARS move with the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra playing the soundtrack live! Now, that was a once-in-a-lifetime experience! My favorite part was the awards ceremony and closing credits music. I never thought I'd describe a symphony as "Rocking" but wow! They were rocking that soundtrack.

Here's my personal favorite, lol:

And a bigger 'Orchestra":

Disclaimer: Yes, I am a Geek.
Trunk Monkey likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #138 of 138 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

My money is on Anakin making a comeback.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in