Installing a tranny cooler (pics)

Parts List:
Heres the link to which tranny cooler i used and where i bought it:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=4

Inline Filter:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=0

Cooler Flush:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=0

The only other thing i used was a few extra feet of hose from autozone.

I Just finished installing a tranny cooler for my brother on his 97 with a 4.6. I've taken some decent pictures. The install is still fresh in my mind so i thought that I'd pass this along to the group. Special thanks to Chris_Murder for helping get this back together and providing additional ideas.

First off make sure you disconnect your battery. I know this is something we all say, but sometimes dont do. However your airbag sensors are up front there. I suspect that they really would like you beating them with wrenches or hammers. So lets not deploy our airbags in the driveway...just disconnect the battery.

Its important to note that some of this will vary depending on the year of your vehicle, and what brand/size cooler you choose. I used a Tru-Cool with the 40K rating. Additionally I only used the hardware that was provided in the cooler kit. The only thing I had to buy was some extra rubber hose. I was under a time deadline, and the car needed to be back on the road yesterday. That said you could change the position on the same cooler if you used 90 degree fittings for the hoses rather than the supplied straight ones. My brothers car is a nice daily driver and there are no plans for any real mods. So we chose not to use any kind of AN fittings or braided hose. However lots of guys here have done that, and is a viable option.

The First thing that I did was remove the front bumper cover. I did this for easier access to the bottom. Once all the bumper cover fasteners are removed get a friend to help. Carefully slide the side of the cover from around the wheel well splash guards. Then gently slide it forward. Taking care to not let the studs in the bumper scratch your fenders. As well dont damage your bumper cover(maybe some saw horses or something similar). Find a safe place to set the bumper. Next I unbolted the header panel. I left the headlights attached, as well as the wiring. Unbolting it gives you enough freedom of movement to get your hands in there easily. I also unbolted the bracket with the hood latch for additional access. There are 8 screws total holding the header on. Two of them I dont have pictures to show you. They are located directly below where the corner lamps sit. There are four screws holding the hood latch mechanism. I also removed the windshield washer fluid bottle. Its secured by three screws. It has two seperate wire connectors you'll have to detach. Then simply pull it up thru the top.

You'll see in the pics that I mounted the bottom of the cooler 2" above the bottom of the core support. I used two of the provided straps mounted straight down to the core support. For the top side I ran one strap up to the top of the core support. The last strap I ran horizontally and screwed it into a mounting bracket behind the header panel. I bent it in an L shape and screwed it to the same support that the airbag sensor bolts onto. I positioned the cooler more than an inch away from the A/C condenser. There is close to an inch of clearance between the tranny cooler and the power steering cooler. The Cooler is very secure, and its clearanced so that wont hit anything while the car is running.

Since I used only the supplied hardware I had to adjust the coolers position as to not interfere with the passenger side airbag sensor. I ended up moving the bottom portion of the bracket for the sensor forward about 1/4". This required me to use a self tapping screw to secure the bottom half of the bracket.

Once the cooler itself was in place I ran the fluid hose. This was relativly easy. I did grab some 1/2" rubber insulated wire hangers from Home Depot. They're in the electrical section. I used them to secure the hose in place. This keeps the hoses from flopping around. the rubber on them will keep them from chaffing the hose while on the vehicle. For connecting the cooler I chose to cut a section of the transmission return line out with a tubing cutter. I have a inline filter installed simply cause we just repaired this car from a catastrophic tranny failure. The tranny return line from the radiator goes into my filter, then into the newly installed cooler. the output of the cooler then goes back to the original return line.

The whole operation is doable with basic hand tools, a drill, and some 1/2" self tapping screws.

These screws have to be removed from both the drivers and passenger fenderwells

This picture shows the 2 holes in each fender. You will have to reach up from underneath the splash guard to remover these. There is a metal plate with studs on it that will remain attached to you bumper once you remove the bumper. have a friend handy. be careful to not scratch your paint.

The corner lamps need to be removed to access two screws behind the lamp. Remove the highlighted nuts and carfully pull the corner lamp forward.

This small litte screw will have to be removed from behind the corner lamps to get the cover off. The larger black screw that is circled holds the header panel in place. It will also need to be removed to get the header panel out later.

There are 2 phillips screws on the splash guard on each side that need to be removed.

I circled the two screws on the driver side that need to be removed to get the header panel out.

Here are the two on the passenger side.

Remove these four screws to undo the hood latch.

here is a top view with the hood latch removed and the header panel pulled forward.

Dont forget to remove the washer bottle. There is a third screw not pictured at the very bottom of the bottle.

Here's a shot of the cooler. Its big!

Top shot with the cooler installed.

Bottom pic fully installed.

Closeup

Driver side closeup.

Side shot of cooler lines heading into engine bay. They run right with the Power steering cooler lines.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd

Last edited by supergordo; 03-07-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Glad to help!

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2007, 09:01 PM
PostWhore

Nice work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Really nice... I am planning on buying the cooler too. I just hope I have enough space with the intercooler.. I might have to move it up a little more.. But great pics man.. Do you have pictures of the inline filter?! Which did you used?

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Cat View Post
Really nice... I am planning on buying the cooler too. I just hope I have enough space with the intercooler.. I might have to move it up a little more.. But great pics man.. Do you have pictures of the inline filter?! Which did you used?
Ill post up a pic of the filter soon. The one I took initially kinda sucked. I dont remember the brand, however i will be posting a parts list on the writeup over the weekend. Just check back or PM me and ill get the info to you.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Cat View Post
Just added a parts and source list.
Heres the link to the tranny filter: http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/me...roduct_Count=0

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 12:30 AM
PostWhore

Awesome setup! Did you bypass the rad portion? How did you run the hoses? Yes I'm a proud newb. Thanks for the pix...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
I didnt bypass the radiator. the cooler is plumbed in after the radiator portion. I just cut the top tranny line and tapped the hose in there. Actually the kit comes with fittings that would allow you to plumb it without cutting the hose. I cut the line so i could install the tranny filter.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 03:11 PM
ice_nyne

Awesome. Nicely done. A couple more close-up pics of the cooler mounting would be of help, but definitely great stuff.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_nyne View Post
Awesome. Nicely done. A couple more close-up pics of the cooler mounting would be of help, but definitely great stuff.
Thanks. The mounting is just 1/2" self tapping screws straight into the core support. Nothing magic happening there.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:52 AM

Thanks for the write up. Too bad the pictures are gone, I'd like to see them. Any chance reuploading them and updating the post?
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Thanks for the write up. Too bad the pictures are gone, I'd like to see them. Any chance reuploading them and updating the post?
I wasnt aware that the links quit working. All fixed!.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd

Last edited by supergordo; 03-07-2008 at 01:22 AM.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 11:37 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to loudpipessavelives
Thats a big cooler, nice job man!

93 Bird/ Trick Flow 5.0-- awaiting some fresh paint
99 Marquis on 20's (daily)
01 Mustang Cobra with bolt on's-- 22k miles, might be for sale soon

http://www.cardomain.com/id/CDogg93
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergordo View Post
I wasnt aware that the links quit working. All fixed!.
Your legend will never die...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 02:48 PM

what kind of connection to the stock lines did you make?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
That is a pretty complex install. I did mine on my 3.8l and it was easier. But I did not add the tranny oil filter either.

Take a look:http://planet.cnm.edu/bpearce/1994Me...oler/index.htm
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 05:07 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to loudpipessavelives
I mounted a small B&M in about the same place, but I had the radiator out and then just took the AC condensor out while I was at it, it is fairly simple to install.

93 Bird/ Trick Flow 5.0-- awaiting some fresh paint
99 Marquis on 20's (daily)
01 Mustang Cobra with bolt on's-- 22k miles, might be for sale soon

http://www.cardomain.com/id/CDogg93
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
It really wasnt that hard or complex. The cooler was pretty big, so taking the bumper cover off made manuvering pretty easy. I was really just thinking of the guys who havent really ever gotten into these kind of installs. Thats why i took all the pics and drew all the arrows. Just so people wouldnt be wondering how it all comes apart and goes together. Certainly there are different ways to install a cooler. This is by no means the bible on cooler installs. But i figured a detailed look at it all would help others to get the job done, or inspire some other innovations

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
SuperNewbie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by white lincoln View Post
That is a pretty complex install. I did mine on my 3.8l and it was easier. But I did not add the tranny oil filter either.

Take a look:http://planet.cnm.edu/bpearce/1994Me...oler/index.htm
Thats a really good install! Good pics too. Actually yours and mine are similar, the main difference is the size of the cooler. Due the the size of my core and the location of the cooler I pointed the lines downward and ran them by the P/S hoses. Then i tapped them into the tranny lines much like you did yours. Just with the size of the cooler directing the lines upward wasnt very easy to do, so i went the other way.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Nice pictorial. Mine is wider but not as long. I'm building a qwik lift in my garage over the next few weeks, then i'll be able to get decent shots of my install and my exhaust setup to post.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
K&N cold air intake. True 2 1/4" duals, Xenon GFX. 3:55 Trac loc. Beefier trans, 2800 stall convertor, MkV111 aluminum driveshaft.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in