Installing a manually switched power antenna into a non-power antenna car - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
Installing a manually switched power antenna into a non-power antenna car

This article describes how to install an early mn12 power antenna into a non-power antenna 94-97 mn 12. The early cars had a manual toggle switch allowing the user to determine when the antenna was up and when it was done.

The first thing that you need to do is but the front of the car up on jack stands. Once this is done you can go ahead and remove the passenger side wheel followed by the plastic fender liner. This will expose the original antenna mount.

At this point go ahead and unhook the reception cable (that goes to the stereo). You simply have to pull on it and it will come off. Next unscrew the antenna mast from the outside of the car. If it does not go by hand easily a small wrench will get it started.

Next you will need to remove the nut that holds the top of the antenna to the fender. It is supposed to require a specialty tool but a flat head screw driver and hammer will do the trick. If it does not spin freely do not keep hitting it as you could but a kink in the fender. The easiest way to remove it after that is to take a dremel tool with a cutting wheel and simply cut the nut in a couple places. one it is cut you can break it apart with a screw driver and hammer.

The final step to remove stock antenna is to remove one bolt that holds it in place. with the fenderliner out it is pretty easy to see.

The easiest way to wire the power antenna is to do so before you bolt it in place. How the motor works is that it simply has two wires. The toggle switch in the car reverses the polarity to the motor which enables you to feed just two wires to it. I used 14awg light cord that can be bought for cheap at any store such as lowes. Once you have crimped those wires to the existing ones on the antenna it will be a good idea to put shrink tube over them to water proof them.

Next you will see that the reception cable goes into the cabin of the car by way of a rubber grommet into the kick panel areas. You can pull the grommet from inside of the car which will allow you to modify it to fit the extra two wires. In my case I also ran the wires for my oil pressure and transmission temp sending units through the same location. Once the grommet is modified you can pop it back into place. After this you can go ahead and put the antenna in place. I did so by holding the antenna in position from inside the fender then starting the not on the outside of the car. Once it has enough turns on it to hold it in place you can put the bolt in on the mounting bracket inside the fender. Then its simply a matter of setting your height and tightening them down.

To hook up the power to the antenna I pulled my glove box which is pretty easy. You just unhook the strut then there are three screws holding the hinge to the car. This gives you quite a bit of room to fit big hands in the dash and feed your wires. For power I am tapping into the constant power and ground wires for the stereo. The switch I have has 4 separate pins since it is hard wired internally to be a reverse polarity switch. In my case if you are looking at the pins the top left is positive in and top right is ground. To determine how to hook up the bottom wires it is just a matter of trial and error. No worries if you have them hooked up backwards, it will just make the antenna go up when you hit down on the switch.

For the switch I am installing mine in the top DIN slot. I relocated my hvac to the lower slot and have added a plate to the top which will have 2 autometer gauges (the aforemention oil pressure and transmission temp), a auxillary power slot and the switch. The whole set up works pretty slick and only took a couple hours to do. I believe I have about 8 bucks invested in the wire, 20 for the switch, and the plate I had already.

Pics to come shortly. Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 05:39 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Awesome idea. I miss the manual switch from the older cars. Can't wait to see pics.

\,,/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 12:50 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

hmm neat, but I hate listening to the radio. I once had a power mast on my crown vic until someone broke it after I forgot to put it down, that pissed me off. Never will I have one again. But neat write up though, it sounds pretty easy. I would be interested in shaving it off one day. Thats a write up Im hoping for.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 07:18 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to joshbea6
Does anyone offer the Antenna that is embedded in the windshield for our cars like on the Chevy's? I remember that my dad's 95 K5 Blazer had the antenna that was in the windshield, also a friend of mine has that same thing in his 71 Chevy Nova.

1997 LX Sport 4.6L 2.73 , MODS=SCT tuned/J-Mod/Trans Cooler/Dyno max Cat-Back/NgkPlugs/Mac cold air/March UD's/FRPP aluminumcarrier3.73's(spare for strip use)/ PI cams + PI intake manifold w/adapter plate/ Mark VIII Convertor/80mm L-Maf/70mm TB/ Mark VIII 1 piece shaft/Cobra R' wheels/ Kumhos 235/60/16 - White leather w/ blue cloth seats - white face gauges in 95 cluster
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
i'm sure you could get one through any custom glass place. problem is they are expensive, even if they are made already.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 04:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Scott-bird
power antenna wiring question

Good writeup for the switch type power antenna install.
My situation is similar, but I would actually like the antenna to actuate off the radio. The plug from the antenna has a red wire and a green/yellow wire. Where do I hook these to set it to work as a normal power antenna, non-switch style?

Thanks,
Scott
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

u can't do it, since the polarity has two reverse to control it. you will have to get an antenna that is set up for that
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 04:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

You used the word "but" when you obviously meant to use the word "put" strange!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 11:23 AM

I think the polarity reverse control was from the early switched typed power antennas. The kind in the 1995 bird operate off the radio on/off. I would guess that the red goes to constant power and the green/yellow goes to the power antenna wire from the stereo, but I'm looking for confirmation or certain knowledge of how to hook it up.
-Scott
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 09:33 PM
PostWhore

I like the switch idea because when I have a CD playing I don't want the antenna up especially when I'm inside an automatic car wash. When I did have a car with a power antenna the antenna would only be up when the radio was on but not when a CD was playing. I don't know if the MN-12s have that option but this was with an aftermarket CD player too.

-Randy-
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 09:09 PM

I finally went with a replacement power antenna from eBay. Used its wiring, and it's all good now... plus, it fit with the metal bezel from the non-power antenna version, much superior to the broken plastic bezel.

Scott-bird
'95 Thunderbird with 2003 GT Mustang motor; SCT Tuner(by Lonnie at Blue Oval); Cool-air intake; removed silencer; Transgo shift kit; JBA headers; empty cats; Flowmasters; '97 tranny pan; Tokico shocks and 1.25" lowered springs; Performance Poly bushings; 03/04 Cobra Poly Spring Isolators; 50th Anniversary T-Bird Platinum Silver paint job; gray interior with leather; Pioneer stereo with 6 Pioneer speakers + (2) 12" Earthquake Subs. Coming soon: One Piece MarkVIII or custom Aluminum Driveshaft, 18" wheels.

The Scott-bird website

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in