I figured I'd make this guide after gettin a wiper switch from my local junkyard that didnt quite work today, I decided to open it up and i found the signal light contacts were corroded.I'll show you how to fix this along with another problem, a broken wire.
Here are some removal & installation instructions provided to me by IronChopz:
1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
2. Tilt column to lowest position and remove tilt steering column lock lever.
3. Remove ignition switch lock cylinder.
4. Remove shroud screws and remove upper steering column shroud (3530) and lower steering column shroud.
5. Remove two self-tapping screws retaining turn signal and windshield wiper switch to steering column casting. Disengage turn signal and windshield wiper switch from casting.
6. Disconnect the two electrical connectors.
1. Install two electrical connectors to full engagement.
2. Align turn signal and wiper switch mounting holes with corresponding holes in steering column casting. Install two self-tapping screws, making sure to start screws in the previously tapped holes. Tighten to 2-3 N-m (18-26 lb-in).
3. Install upper steering column shroud and lower steering column shroud.
4. Install ignition switch lock cylinder.
5. Install tilt steering column lock lever.
6. Connect battery ground cable.
7. Check steering column and turn signal and windshield wiper switch for proper operation.
Now that you've got your switch out of the car and ready to repair be sure you have a Torx 10 screwdriver.Remove these 5 screws:
When you open the switch do it inside a box because I guarantee **** will go flying, but its not as hard to put back together as it looks
Now the inside of the switch looks like this:
As you can see the contacts are pretty corroded but most of the corrosion has mixed with the grease so its easy to remove.
Also dont forget this piece:
I recommend high grit sandpaper, a nail file, or a drill/dremel with a wire brush.
Here's the finished product, done with sandpaper, I really recommend a dremel with a brush for the spring loaded contacts.
That covers the first part, now onto the second problem with these switches:
This is why my wipers wouldnt work and why i spent $20 on another switch.
As you can see the yellow wire has been repaired, it was broken and it broke of from flexing so much.
To remove a wire from the connector use a knife or something fine to push the clip in and something else to push it out of the connector:
Proceed to strip some of the insulation from the broken wire, and use this part of the connector to re-attach the wire:
Now insert the wire back into the connector, it just pushes in.Now you have a clean corrosion free switch with all wires connected that should work when re-installed, but how do you reassemble the switch? Keep Reading
This is possibly the hardest part of repairing the switch, getting it back together.
First start by inserting this plastic piece into place, the contacts are spring loaded so i suggest placing a piece of sandpaper with grit facing the contacts inside the housing to make inserting this piece easy.Plus the sandpaper serves two purposes #1 making installing the clip easier and #2 sanding the contacts inside when you pull it out
Now pull the paper from behind the piece:
These are the springs that most likely flew out when you took the switch apart:
Continue assembly by puting the bat shaped (duh nananana nananana batman!) piece into the switch:
Now insert the switch into the housing making sure u line up the holes on the bottom of the switch and bat piece with the holes in the housing and make sure the spring is in its notch:
Now place the other plastic piece in between the top and middle of the switch making sure to get it on the peg in the switch and the little track on the left side underneath it:
Now plug the wiper connector into the other half of the housing:
Now get ready to put this beast back together, these pieces have to go in the corresponding notches.The tab on the switch has to go into the notch on the plastic piece and the little peg has to go into the track:
Now both wipers and signal lights should function again
Also if you don't want to try this I could do it for you, Just shoot me a pm