Beginnings of the Lexicon - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Beginnings of the Lexicon

Torque Converter:

What It Is -- a hydraulic device for providing the torque required at the driven shaft by transmitting and multiplying the torque from the driving shaft. This piece is what links the drive plate at the rear of the engine to the automatic transmission.

What To Do: Replacing your stock MN12 converter with a higher stall speed converter allows an engine to rev-up to a speed where it begins to make significant power (commonly referred to as "torque multiplication") before being put under a heavy load. This facilitates faster launches. The FN10 platform Mark VIII, as well as the 99 and up Mustang GT shipped with a significantly higher stall speed converter than our stock MN12. Swapping for one of these is a lower cost alternative to purchasing a new aftermarket unit from someplace such as Art Carr, Performance Industries, or Baumann Engineering. USed converters can be obtained from most and salvage / auto recycler or by checking on places such as www.markviii.org or www.corral.net

When To Do It: As a first step if considering a rebuild of the 4R70W transmission in your 4.6L MN12, I would replace the stock converter with one from a Mark VIII, especially iif your plans do not include forced induction. This will improve the feel of the car. If you are planning to move away from naturally aspirated power like these cars come with, and into a supercharger, or N2O, then getting a converter better matched to the torque curve of your heavily modified engine will be a better plan in the long run.

Where It Is: Only the 4R70W transmissions have this unit, and this change is only benificial to the 4.6L motors. The torque converter is located in the transmission housing itself. It can be seen and drained by removing the drain plug dust cover located on the bottom of the bell housing, and removing the drain plug itself. The conveter may need to be rotated by hand to access the plug. The transmission must be drained as well either by removing the pan itself, or on a 96/97 or aftermarket pan with a drain plug, may be drained that way and then seperated from the engine to replace the TC. Full details on how to make this swap are provided in the Technical Articles section or with your TC.

Why Do This?: The higher stall speed of the FN10/SN95 stall converter better facilitates moving our heavy cars, and is much more suited to a lightly or even unmodified modular 4.6 motor. The AOD transmission cars such as the Fox body Birds and Cougar, do have aftermarket converters avalible thorugh many of he same places, but the factory unit is much more suited to those cars and they do not require replacement to make them really come alive until you get into forced induction or whole new powerplants.

-mj (Fourth Draft)

Upper Midwest Thundercats Administrator
www.midwestthundercats.com
1994 Cougar XR-7
: Car Gallery : -- Photos
: Mod List : -- My Garage

Last edited by n0esc; 07-27-2003 at 07:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Cougar Pilot

one tip: Ya gotta say it's a 4R70W/4.6L only mod

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 01:47 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to CyLum
Now that's what I'm talking about!

And within this would be hot links to other terms used like "drive plate" and "transmission" (which would have a breakout for the different trannies used in the MN12 cars).

A list of commonly used list syonyms or slang would help too, like: "stall speed converter" and "tc" for torque converter.

I think this section would be second only to the tech article section in value to the site.

CyLum - Pearl Thunderbird LX. . . . . MN12 T-Bird T-SHIRTS - click here
  • Bought her brand new in '95
  • BFG Comp TA 245/50 and 17" ATP Wheels - - - - 4.19.00
  • Removed silencer-extended tube to bumper - - - - 8.18.02
  • BBK 70mm TB - - - - '02 GT 80mm MAF - - - - FRPP 9mm Wires - - - - JBA Headers - - - - ART Exhaust no cats - - - - 10.4.02
  • Bilstiens - - - - Eibachs - - - - Dennis Chip - - - - 10.4.02 Retuned 1.29.03
  • Richard M. Tube - - - - 10.14.02
  • 180 Degree t-stat - - - - Evans water pump - - - - 11.6.02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
Perhaps you could throw in (as an aside) that aftermarket AOD and 4R70W converters are readily from certain vendors?

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 03:44 PM
4th Gear Poster

How about adding that the MarkVIII TC is also used in the MustangGT, this will help people who are looking for a used one, the could look on corral.net for someone selling off their stock unit.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I will edit the text for links and such one I get off work.... As for getting too much information into the topic, remember that much of this will be covered by other items such as the Transmission Definition and other drivetrain components from the flex/drive plate to the rear end gear.

Thank you to all who have posted corrections and suggestions... If anyone would like to pick a topic relating to the driveline and do a write-up similar to what I have done above, feel free.

-mj
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 05:32 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

This is a good start. But as soon as the changes are incorporated into the lead post of the thread, I want the suggestions deleted. That can be done by the Moderator, one of the Super Mods or one of us Admins. But I'd prefer the Moderator handle this stuff so that he knows what's going on all the time.

Thanks for getting started though guys!

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 05:41 PM

Just a question, why is it only a 4.6 mod? We late model V6ers have the 4R70W too ya know in all seriousness, this is one amazing idea and hopefully it will play out like we're all hoping.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 07:31 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
And why is it limited only to the 4R70W? You can buy AOD converters with a higher stall. (In fact, I think there may be more aftermarket for the AOD converter than the 4R70W.)

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Well to take in that school of thought, every transmission has a TC of some form or another... This mod has a specific application as cited in the Transmissions 101 article published by a certain individual. Yes the AOD cars do have an aftermarket, but as i amended above, it is my understanding that its not considered a necessary change to take advantage of those motors, whereas it is of many persons opinions that the TC swap be done in any 4R70W trans to better fit it to our motors, be they stock, or lightly modified. Certainly once you've advanced to the point of power adders, you'll be past the scope of what I think we are aiming to do here. Its not a thesis, just a getting started guide...

Hammer = Linearly Accelerated Impact Engineering Device

There are many ways to say things... I would prefer we keep this closer to being the hammer.

-mj

1994 Cougar XR-7
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 08:26 PM
4th Gear Poster

Wow, theres a lot of thought being put into just one part of this 'lexicon'

Why dont we simplify the entry for the TC to briefly explain what it is, and why a higher stall is preferable to some people.

Then refere people to a tech article, where we could get more specific regarding the 4R70W and the AOD, the 4.6, 5.0 and 3.8 engines.

We could use what you already have as a begining to a tech article and expand on it , but keep the lexicon simple

Edit:

To clarify, I think the Lexicon would be easier to use, and look cleaner if the entries were kept to a paragraph or two, with a link to a tech article for more information. It would be even better if it could have a tree structure to it with expandable and collapsable branches, but thats a matter of implementation, and we need the raw information before we go that far.

Last edited by Chlorine; 07-27-2003 at 08:46 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I think from looking at it, that once we get a general format down and an idea of the type of information we want included that the rest of them will come together quite nicely. As for the amount of information i do agree that it needs to be shorter. Draft one was about half the length that it has turned into due to suggestions, and changed and such. We'll get that ironed out soon enough

-mj
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 10:11 PM
4th Gear Poster

Well I started trying to type up a list of terms that I though would be good to have definitions for, but I started filling in information and one thing led to another and well, here you go....

--Sensors--

MAF - Mass Air Flow sensor - Measures the airflow through the intake tube to the engine, it reports this to the EEC, which uses this data to control the timing of the spark and the amount of fuel delivered.

MAFs - see MAF

TPS - Throttle Position sensor - Reports how far open or closed the throttle is to the EEC

IAC - Idle Air Control - An opening that allows air to flow to the engine when the throttle blade is completely closed, hwen it gets clogged the engine will have a rough idle, or not idle at all.

ACT - Air Charge Temperature sensor - Measures the temperature of the air comming into the engine, commonly used in super/turbocharged setups.

IAT - Intake Air Temperature sensor - Measures the temperature of the air comming into the engine. This value is reported to the EEC

--Engines--

MOD Motor - Ford's Modular Motor - This is the name for the modular line of engines, including the 4.6(V8), 5.4(V8), and 6.8(V10) Liter engines. The modular comes from the fact that the same tooling, with only small changes, can be used to produce any these engines. The 5.4 is basically the 4.6 with a taller deck height and longer stroke, the cylinder heads between these engines can be interchanged. The 6.8 is basically the 5.4 block with an extra 2 cylinders in the middle. The heads for this engine resemble the 5.4 heads with provisions for the extra cylinder each.

--Drivetrain--

4R70W - The name designation of the automatic transmission used with the 4.6('94 and up) and newer 3.8(years?) engines. It was also used in all MarkVIIIs and the '96 and up Mustangs. It is similar to the AOD with a wider gear ratio (the W is for wide) and electronic controls.

AOD - Automatic OverDrive - The name designation of the automatic transmission used with the 5.0('89 through '93) and earlier 3.8(years?) engines. This transmission was also used in FOX bodied vehicles

AODE - Automatic OverDrive with Electronic controls- This transmission was not used in any MN12 or FN10. The AODE only came in the following vehicles; 1992-1994 Town Car, Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis and the 1994-1995 Mustang (both the 3.8L v6 and the 5.0L V8)

Trac-Lok - A locking differential. This will allow both wheels to get power and turn at the same rate when going straight, and still allow them to turn at different rates when the car turns a corner. This gives much better traction than an Open Differential. The locking action is accomplished by a spring and two sets of clutches, one set for left and one set for right, these clutches will engage or dissengage to keep both wheels turning the same, or allow one to slip.

Diff. - see Differential

Differential - Directs power to the wheels, can be either open(see Open Diff) or locking(see Trac-Loc)

Open Differential - A non-locking differential. This will allow one wheel to turn while the other does nothing, resulting in a 'one wheel peel' and poor traction.

Open Rear - see Open Differential

Gear Ratio - The ratio of the Ring and Pinion Gears in the rearend. Different Gear Ratios will cause the wheels to turn at different RPMs at any given driveshaft RPM Common Ford gear sizes are 2.73?, 3.08, 3.27, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10, and 4.30. There is a company producing a set of 3.90 gears, I believe it is Motive that is doing this.

Final Drive Ratio - see Gear Ratio

Ring and Pinion Gears - A set of gears designed to work together to transfer the power from the driveshaft to the rear wheels. The Pinion Gear is connected to the driveshaft, and has a small end with helical gear teeth, these engage the Ring Gear which is attached to the differential. Different Gear Ratios will cause the wheels to turn at different RPMs at any given driveshaft RPM

Ring Gear - Large round gear with teeth cut into one side, this gear attaches to the differential.

Pinion Gear - A shaft with a small helical gear cut into one end, the other end bolts to the driveshaft flange

Carrier - The housing that contains the Ring and Pinion Gears and the DIfferential

8.8 gear - The diameter in inches of the ring gear found in V8 and Supercharged MN12/FN10s. It is stronger than the 7.5 inch gear. It is also used in other Ford Vehicles, such as the Mustang, Panther platform cars and in some trucks.

7.5 gear - The diameter in inches of the ring gear found in V6 non-supercharged MN12s.

--Chassis--

MN12 - Midsize North America Project #12 - The Chassis designation for all '89 through '97 Thunderbirds and Cougars

FN10 - - The Chassis desigantion for all '93 through '98 MarkVIIIs

FOX - - The Chassis designation for (years?) Mustangs, Thunderbirds, Cougars, and MarkVIIs

SN95 - - The Chassis designation for the '95 through '04 Mustangs

DEW98 - - Ford's latest mid-size, rear-drive chassis which is used for the new Ford Thunderbird, Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type and is suspected to be the base of the 2005 Mustang.

Panther - - The Chasis designation for (years?) Crown Vics/Grand Marquies (and TownCars?)

I sorted terms by group instead of alphabetically because I thought it would be easier to see what has been left out this way.
I need help with some of the years, and if you see any errors, correct them, thats the propose of this forum.

Edit:
Added AODE info from ShadowDragon
Added DEW98 info from n0esc

Last edited by Chlorine; 07-27-2003 at 11:11 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 10:30 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chlorine
AODE - Automatic OverDrive with Electronic controls- This transmission was not used in any MN12 or FN10, it was used in some Mustangs (Crown Vics?, Town Cars?)
1st page, Trans article

"The AODE only came in the following vehicles; 1992-1994 Town Car, Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis and the 1994-1995 Mustang (both the 3.8L v6 and the 5.0L V8)"

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

DEW98:
Ford's latest mid-size, rear-drive chassis which is used for the new Ford Thunderbird, Lincoln LS and Jaguar S-Type and is suspected to be the base of the 2005 Mustang.

1994 Cougar XR-7
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 10:58 PM
6th Gear Poster

Chlorine! An excellent group of entries!

• BBK 70mm TB - - - - '02 GT 80mm MAF - - - - FRPP 9mm Wires - - - - JBA Headers - - - - ART Exhaust no cats - - - - 10.4.02
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:05 PM

Cool

Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but isn't a new thread supposed to be started for each new topic? But I don't think I am.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by soop
Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but isn't a new thread supposed to be started for each new topic? But I don't think I am.
A Lexicon is a dictionary of terms. While some of these are quite long they still fit as a dictionary of terms we come across. We shouldn't get into huge descriptions for each item though, we should keep the lexicon just a description, like it is supposed to be. A lexicon should not include what to: when to: why to:. What it is and where it is should be the extent for a lexicon.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:22 PM

Gotcha. Thought that this was an attempt to improve the tech articles though. Great, have a Lexicon thread for defining terms, but as far as tech goes, it'll get crazy here if procedures and techniques are posted/edited/suggested/debated.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:25 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

A lexicon like chlorine posted for a tech article, or heck even a sticky in all the tech forums, is a great idea as we weren't all born knowing these terms.

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 12:19 AM
4th Gear Poster

I realized that we ended up hijacking n0esc's original post about the torque convertor, so I turned my list into a new thread.

I also used the first line of his original post for the entry about the torque convertor.

If you have anything to add to my list, please do it in the new thread.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...threadid=23203
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 12:31 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by soop
At this point, I think gathering the information is the most important aspect of this thing. Even with several entries in one message.

From there we can clarify something that may be wrong, too simplistic, extensive, or whatever... and then worry about the way it's all formated at some future point.

Actually, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the format in place right away. We can always continue to add entries as they are developed.

Maybe...

Throttle Position sensor, TPS :
Reports how far open or closed the throttle is to the EEC

Hey soop, now that I've reread your post I see your point, what started out as tech articles ended up merging with the dictionary idea. Yeah, they should be developed separately.

Last edited by CyLum; 07-28-2003 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in