Muffler delete - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Muffler delete

I'm working on a article for hacking off the mufflers. Currently I have pics of all the parts required (pipes, clamps, tips, hangers, etc). Then I took pics of where to cut the mufflers at. I also went ahead and took video of the startup, short revving, and revving/holding at 3000 rpm of the bird with mufflers, and without. Now I just have to piece together some html. Anything I missed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 03:55 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to AbSeNtEE
why not just throw the images and the writeup in here?

i know I'm very interested, I'm sure others are

-(\ /)-
(O.O)
(> <)
94 T-Bird LX - 3rd Cat removed - 12" Glasspack for resonator - PBR Brake swap - Air Silencer Removed - 16" ROH ZS Wheels - 89-93 SC bumper - Pioneer Headunit - A Sirius Disorder - 2 10" MTX Thunder 220 Watt Subwoofers - 400 Watt Phoenix Gold Monoblock Amp.
Coming Soon: The Junkyard, R.I.P.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 PM
PostWhore

i'm subscribed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

wow!! can you make an article teaching me how to recline my seat?

Last edited by Porkchop; 05-02-2007 at 01:24 PM.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 05:30 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
wow!! can you make an article teaching me how to recline me seat?

1985 THUNDERBIRD CFI 5.0L..
h-pipe, shorty headers, stock everything else

DEDICATED TO THE SURVIVAL OF COUGARS AND THUNDERBIRDS
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

dont forget to mention the part that says "just cutting off the mufflers is going to sound like poo" cause it does.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 06:08 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

no, i cut mine on my SC and it actually sounds like a cobra.!!! seriously

1985 THUNDERBIRD CFI 5.0L..
h-pipe, shorty headers, stock everything else

DEDICATED TO THE SURVIVAL OF COUGARS AND THUNDERBIRDS
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
wow!! can you make an article teaching me how to recline me seat?

That's my next one.

In all seriousness, I've seen a few guys asking how to do this lately, so I figured I'd do a write up on it.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhumane View Post
...i always have needed a tutorial on changing the oil filter too............. *cough* porky *cough*
how many threads are there asking how/b!tching about the oil filter compared to asking how to hack off mufflers?
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
here's a write-up:

1 - hack off mufflers
2 - drive to exhaust shop
3 - have exhaust guy weld on piping that extends to the rear bumper
4 - " " " " fab up some quick hangers
5 - throw him $20

how about a tech article on how to pump gas, too?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike View Post
here's a write-up:

1 - hack off mufflers
2 - drive to exhaust shop
3 - have exhaust guy weld on piping that extends to the rear bumper
4 - " " " " fab up some quick hangers
5 - throw him $20

how about a tech article on how to pump gas, too?
LOL

Or put air in the tires?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
wow!! can you make an article teaching me how to recline my seat?

Somebody should write an article on how Porky eats a reeses .. oh wait, theres already an instructional video.

- Dan
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 03:54 AM
Veteran Poster

Don't forget checking the muffler bearings & brakelight fluid.......

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ry2lazy4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic View Post
dont forget to mention the part that says "just cutting off the mufflers is going to sound like poo" cause it does.
It does sound weird ill admit. It sounds better than stock yes. Its all opinion so dont argue that guys. It sounds alittle weird if your like 50% throttle it will drone some. I had true 2.25 inch duals on my last 4.6 bird and no cats or mufflers, that sounded real nice, but alittle too loud.

Cutting off the mufflers is a fine mod. I actually got some top end HP from it im sure (only on V8 or SC will you likely see gain). Dont tell me that is BS either, show me a real race car with a muffler, you're not gonna find one. Before doing this my 95LX would loose to my 94LX to 60mph. Now the 95LX gets almost a fender on the 94LX by 60mph.

a stock V8 tbird sounds like an anorexic vaccum cleaner going down the road!
Thankfully now i do not need new muffler bearings b/c i dont have mufflers.
I got new synthetic brake light fluid and my brakelights look like red hids now! I would suggest Motorcraft 4W-20 for all tbirds brake light fluid

Three Birds are Better than 1! Current rides...
Red 96 LX 4.6 <----> Blue 95 LX 4.6 <----> Pearl 94 LX 4.6 (parts car!)

Last edited by ShadowDragon; 05-03-2007 at 10:36 AM. Reason: merging uselessly seperated posts
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry2lazy4u View Post
Dont tell me that is BS either, show me a real race car with a muffler, you're not gonna find one.

guess that isn't a real race car, huh?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

my point was that you can midmount something (magnaflow, dynomax bullet, ets) that will sound good instead of just cutting off the mufflers which sounds like azz.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:09 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I guess he forgot to add the wheelie bar.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I think we all know that hacking off the mufflers isn't the greatest exhaust mod, but it is the cheapest. If you're going to be a cheap-ass and hack off your mufflers, why go to an exhaust shop and pay for welds and then throw the guy $20? You can do the whole job yourself with clamps for $20. I did it to mine to hold me over till I get my exhaust done the right way.

\,,/
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

i'd rather pay him to do it right. keep in mind you need to find some tips or scrap piping, then measure and cut if needed. welds are permanent, too.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I made the following post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemelancholic View Post
Just go to your local auto parts store and get the following (got mine from Advance):

18-inch long, 2-inch pipe (x2)
Clamps to attach new pipe to existing pipe (x2)
Hangers to hold new pipe in place (x2) (use in place of stock muffler hangers)
Cheap tips (x2)

When you saw off your mufflers, be sure to saw as close to the muffler as possible or else the angle for your straight pipes will be all wrong.

Here's a video of my car with this done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7igooaWLvg

XR7-4.6 has done the same thing, here's some pics of his:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showpost.php...3&postcount=25
I would only recommend a muffler delete if you don't have the cash to get a proper setup. If you spend any more than $15-$25 doing a muffler delete, you're spending too much and might as well get a "real" setup. Perhaps some people don't know that it could be done so cheaply, therefore a guide may be a good idea. Just my 2 cents.

\,,/
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Baby Huey

Quote:
. Dont tell me that is BS either, show me a real race car with a muffler, you're not gonna find one. \
Read almost any rule book for many types of racing, most racing requires mufflers.

Hacking off the mufflers sounds like ****.

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 10:24 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ry2lazy4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike View Post

guess that isn't a real race car, huh?
yeah i was thinking about nascars and topfuel
drag, racing groups require muffs sometimes my bad.
bet those muffs arent doin much either.

Three Birds are Better than 1! Current rides...
Red 96 LX 4.6 <----> Blue 95 LX 4.6 <----> Pearl 94 LX 4.6 (parts car!)
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 05:52 AM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
When I hacked my mufflers off, I drove around with it terminatiing under the car for about a week. The first 2 days were cool, but the drone started giving me a headache after that. I wont even go into the possibility of exhaust gas finding its way into the interior. So, my suggestion, get extensions.

As far as how to do it (shop or clamps), if I'm going to go through the time and expense of taking my car to a shop to have exhaust work done, you can bet they'll be doing more than welding on some extensions.

So I'll go ahead and disagree with Big Mike on this one, and say that (IMO) if you're going to do the muffler delete, just make up some extensions, it's not rocket science.

Having said that, you might as well hack the center muffler and cat out and replace it with something else at the same time.

math > pasta
post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 07:33 AM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidFly View Post
So I'll go ahead and disagree with Big Mike on this one, and say that (IMO) if you're going to do the muffler delete, just make up some extensions, it's not rocket science.
disagree? that's what i was talking about. it's a good idea to have the exhaust exit near the bumper so you dont have fumes coming up into the trunk and into the cabin. i only suggested having a shop do it since they would do it professionally. duh, nigel

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 08:44 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
What's Inside

In case you haven't seen this picture. Here's what you're getting rid of. I found this picture some time ago while surfing the Internet. Someone did us the favor of actually cutting the stock muffler open to see what's inside. I think it's an old picture from SCP or MN12Performance.

Edit: Cut it off and run pipes from where you cut it back to the bumper or replace it with a completely new - Sky's the limit $$ - exhaust system; either way you're ahead of the game. Yea, it's stupid to debate the cheapo out (cutting the muffler off) vs. the high dollar alternative (replacing the entire exhaust system). IMO save your money up and do it right.

BTW, for those of you new to the site, there's an article in the Technical Articles section under Exhaust entitled Exhaust Modification that covers the exhaust quite well.

So, here's what you're getting rid of by cutting that sucker off.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-30-2008 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling typo's
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
why are you guys having or attempting to have an indepth discussion about removing mufflers or running high flow mufflers? You really did nothing more than waste bandwidth and look like fools. Actually thinking that making a writeup on how to do a "muffler delete" is foolish. It makes you look like an idiot to the older members who do it the right way. If you want a louder car, dont hack off the mufflers, put on a real high flow muffler. I dont care if you dont have the money, then save the money and do it.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Some people just want simple advice on replacing mufflers with straight pipes. It's not complicated. Somebody asks how to do it, I'll tell them how to do it and not try to give them financial advice and call them names. I'm not sure that I would have posted here in the work in progress forum but at least he's trying to contribute something here, even if it is trivial.

\,,/
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well, when I was planning on writing this, I wasn't trying to convince you guys with thousand dollar exhaust systems that it's pointless, or you get a better tone from chopping off the mufflers. I just noticed that a lot of guys come here asking how to cut off the mufflers. I didn't think that you all would get all big headed about it "Get a real exhaust, mine has flow masters blah blah this is what I have, I'm better than you." It's just a simple explanation on how-to chop off the mufflers and place strait pipes in their place. Nothing more than that. It doesn't need a space in the technical articles, because it doesn't fit in the technical articles. Maybe a sticky in the exhaust section that says this is what to do, here's why you should or should not try this.

Hey, what can I say though? All I wanted was to get it posted so there isn't ten posts a week asking about hacking off the mufflers.

Last edited by Mister_T; 05-04-2007 at 03:03 PM.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
It does sound weird ill admit. It sounds better than stock yes. Its all opinion so dont argue that guys. It sounds alittle weird if your like 50% throttle it will drone some.
Just my opinion, if it drones it sounds like poo! Your right there's no point in arguing about it. I think country music sounds like poo too, it's subjective.

Quote:
I actually got some top end HP from it im sure (only on V8 or SC will you likely see gain). Dont tell me that is BS either, show me a real race car with a muffler, you're not gonna find one.
you do realize there's a whole world of legitimate racing outside of the redneck NASCAR circuit don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemelancholic View Post
I think we all know that hacking off the mufflers isn't the greatest exhaust mod, but it is the cheapest. If you're going to be a cheap-ass and hack off your mufflers, why go to an exhaust shop and pay for welds and then throw the guy $20? You can do the whole job yourself with clamps for $20. I did it to mine to hold me over till I get my exhaust done the right way.
A couple of reasons come to mind...

Let's see I have the choice of having a welded exhaust system or a set of clamps showing to everyone behind me. Yea that's going to look real good! Do you realize that alot of the tbird rear bumper boots give you a very clear view of the underside of the car up to the diff and that includes the not so sexy exhaust system.

Besides if I can throw $20 bucks at it and have a Coke while I watch someone else weld it up why would I want to shuffle around on my back clamping stuff together myself instead!?

I'm too old and smart for that sh*t, it's not like it's a fun thing to do. It's just one more chore to be done. Those would be my reasons, yours might differ.

Last edited by Southpaw; 05-04-2007 at 05:29 PM.
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

LMAO. This is so not a big deal. Why this is being discussed at all is beyond me. Either you do it or you don't. Someone please just delete this thread already! The overwhelming majority is against hacking the mufflers and the guide on how to do it. The people have spoken.

\,,/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in