Basic Question... xHP shot = yTQ??? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Basic Question... xHP shot = yTQ???

Read the other day that a 200hp nitrous shot will add 200hp at every rpm. Since it's spraying the same amount of N2O and fuel at all rpms, it will add the same amount of power. This would mean that a 200HP shot adds 200lb-ft at 5252rpm. It also means that at 3000rpm, it would add 350lb-ft and at 2000rpm would add 525lb-ft!

Does this seem right to you N2O users?

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 05:55 AM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
No way thats gonna happen.

You have several factors to consider besides the shot size. The EEC determines the fuel pressure/trim levels on our cars. Most nitrous systems richen as the nitrous system bumps pressure to handle the nitrous. Now, it will follow the engine powerband curve but not at maximum power level, IE 200 difference or whatever.

Bottle pressure also makes a difference. The lower the pressure the more it will affect that power curve. If what you are hearing were the case it would stay the same clear to the time the bottle runs out. That's not so. Down track pressure down track is usually lower than when you leave the line, so its likely putting out less down track. Its got to affect something.

I'd have to see something definitive otherwise to believe that statement. Its not been proven on mine for sure.

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Refrigerator Raider Hater

I thought about the pressure dropping in the bottle, but figured for one run on a fairly new bottle it wouldn't drop all that much. I was skeptical, hence the post. Would the shot be better represented by torque?

Steve, you probably have dyno graphs handy for motor and N2O?

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
Regardless of where you start with bottle pressure and if the bottle is full I've seen at least a 50 PSI pressure loss by the time the run is completed and I'm back in the pits turning the valve off. It subsequently drops more each pass even at peak pressure when you leave the line. Thats part of the reason some some folks use double bottles to help equalize the pressure. However, as the bottles empty its harder to get the pressure stabilized and you will see it gradually in ET as well, therefore the power is droppping.

Whatever the case, a 200 shot generally from what I've seen does not equate to 200 HP at the wheels. At the motor, maybe. I'm speaking from experience and with a dry shot. I've seen Wet systems put out more power to the wheels but even on dyno's I haven't seen them put that power to the wheels either.

Now a built car, with high dollar wet Port injected system maybe. Again, I'd have to see it and in back to back runs at that on a dyno to prove it.

I'd have to check and see if I still have an old Dyno sheet around with mine.

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in