Going to the dark side - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Going to the dark side

I've been doing some reading on nitrous and thinking about running a 75 shot on the tbird. I've been looking for another affordable upgrade I can do; TFS heads, headers, etc are too expensive so I'm pretty much left with nitrous. I like the zex dry kit which I see a lot of guys here run. I don't need the top of the line nitrous kit but I do want a decent kit that is safe and affordable. Most of these parts I buy will probably be used.

Here's the plan:
255lph fuel pump
2 step colder plugs
window switch
bottle heater
ignition box to retard timing (Probably retard timing 4 degrees? I assume my flip chip advances timing 2-3 degrees.)

Injectors:
Do you think my stock 19# injectors will support my current mods and the 75 shot? I've read that they are good for 280 RWHP. I don't want to change the injectors unless I have to because that will require another tune...

If I will need bigger injectors I'm thinking I will go straight to 30# injectors so I can run e85 with the nitrous. I'll have to wait a little longer to save up for all of that though.

Any other parts I should invest in? Particular brands are helpful.

Another option is a wet kit so I won't have to upgrade the injectors but I see those are twice the cost as a dry kit. Thoughts on the wet kit?

I'm new to the nitrous thing so any other advice you can give is welcome

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I've got a used - low mileage - Walbro 255 lph pump I'll sell ya if you're interested ...

Edit: See this thread - http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=142045

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 07-12-2014 at 11:24 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2014, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I wish you had the new one. Sending you a PM

-Patrick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Meh, the used one is just as good as the new one at half the price.

To answer your questions, the pump is about 5 years old but it was only in the car for about two years. It's only got about 10,000 miles on it - practically new. As you know, my car is a garage queen that rarely gets driven.

I'll find a box and get you a shipping quote.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage

Couldn't resist after reading the thread title.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Lol Brandon

Thanks TM!

Ben with his cougar made 281rwhp and 425 ft lb with stock injectors so I think I'm going to be good! I need more nitrous people to gve me some input! Steve, 95badbird, VicRattlehead, stayunique91, etc etc

-Patrick

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
since 24lb injectors are sooooooooooooooo cheap and available, i would run them. After all the work involved in running NAWZZ!!! just pop on a set of blue tops and call it good. Why? Lets say you tell me to go get bent and go cheap(which is the same response the majority of the inbreds on f150forum.com tell me to do), the second you lean out on those 19lb injectors, you are done-zo. By the way, those old yellow tops are older than some of my students, replace em!

Just remember, you will need to account for the revised injector pulse width in the tune, when you get one.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
For cheap I'd upgrade to teal/blue 24lbs. But, since your looking at a retune anyway, plus nitrous, and contemplating E-85 my advice is 42lb green tops which will cover you almost indefinitely. Also if you can spring for it http://www.2quicknovas.com/nitrousaurus-x.html.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Crap I just realized Ben is on a wet kit. SOAB

Well I need a retune anyways so might as well... I was thinking the 30#ers would be enough for e85 and nitrous at my power level but I guess if I do heads or something else later I should go for 39 or 42#ers...

I found on an e85 website for a rough estimate to multiply your current injectors by 1.47 if your going to run e85.

Maybe I'll do the dynotunes first (one 93 octane and one e85) then run the nitrous when I have the money... 42s are expensive.. Chris I know this is a broad question but what is typical for 2 dynotunes price wise?

-Patrick
[email protected]77mph on used street tires

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
Crap I just realized Ben is on a wet kit. SOAB

Well I need a retune anyways so might as well... I was thinking the 30#ers would be enough for e85 and nitrous at my power level but I guess if I do heads or something else later I should go for 39 or 42#ers...

I found on an e85 website for a rough estimate to multiply your current injectors by 1.47 if your going to run e85.

Maybe I'll do the dynotunes first (one 93 octane and one e85) then run the nitrous when I have the money... 42s are expensive.. Chris I know this is a broad question but what is typical for 2 dynotunes price wise?
Varies wildly dependent on variables. Hardware, brand, licencing, labor, dyno time, tuner (person), etc... I personally don't tune cars myself. I am a dyno operator which is a bit different, I provide HP/TQ numbers for clients or set the dyno for specific load applications to make adjustments to vehicle parameters. I stay out of the professional tuning business due to the liability, I was even sent to seminars and training to tune vehicles and still choose not to, but many people bring me vehicles with their own setups, for example I have a few mustang customers with SCT X-Cal2&3's and PRP that come to me to run the dyno, they pay by the hour, I provide the load and vehicle simulations, sometimes a wideband (most of them have their own wired to the vehicle) and they make adjustments themselves.

On a personal level I have a tuner that I use (Don LaSota) he requires datalogs and makes adjustments to the tune until it is correct via email. His required data is obtainable under controlled street environments as well as on a dyno. I sometimes regret not getting a PRP but I haven't needed an adjustment in my tune. He dialed it in perfect. However when I change my intake manifold, switch to headers, add a blower, increase injector size, switch to E-85, and change to an SCT big air MAF, I'll make the plunge to PRP and pay for his tune, giving me the opportunity to make big changes on my own in the future.

I charge $150 per hour up to 5hrs. The rate drops above that to a daily rate.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.

Last edited by Chris_Murder; 07-14-2014 at 06:22 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 PM
4th Gear Poster

I probably have a low mileage set of 30's around here somewhere.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 AM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
Lol Brandon

Thanks TM!

Ben with his cougar made 281rwhp and 425 ft lb with stock injectors so I think I'm going to be good! I need more nitrous people to gve me some input! Steve, 95badbird, VicRattlehead, stayunique91, etc etc
Go with the ZEX dry kit with the TPS Switch used on the early 2V 4.6L Mustangs. I purchased mine new in "99" I believe. That system is set up for 19# injectors FYI.

Looking at your mods I would go with 24-30 Lb Injectors. Whichever you can come across at the best price. You also want the upgraded fuel pump. You need to have room with the injectors and with the fuel pump to keep it safe.

My car with a host of bolt ons, fuel pump, pulleys, exhaust, etc. on the NPI Engine -NPI Intake combination went a best of 12.8's and that was on 125 shot and a superchips chip in 2004. I had never had the car on a dyno so have no clue on numbers. Once the Bullitt/PI Swap was completed after that Jerry W dyno'd the car with the 24's and put down 348 HP and 503 Ft lbs.

Later on I had 30lbers added and a Stage 1 cam but never had the car dynode after those.

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 03:08 AM

zex

Im going to.be running a zex wet kit , I would go wet because u dont have to worry about maxing ur injectors however I would still upgrade, go to sccoa we ditch 30/36lbs and even 42lb injectors cheap often

So far I know its 1° of time retard per 25hp

Mine is a supercoupe and going with 55-100 shot depending on how well things go
But I have 60lbs and a 340lph pump

But if u do go with dry system
Make sure u have the fuel system to go with it

Here is my car im not a stranger to the tbirds but im more frequent on sccoa

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...92-SC-timeline

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=444
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 04:07 AM
4th Gear Poster

I have a set of 24lb injectors I would like to part with slightly used low mileage great working shape 60 bucks takes em shipping included

97 Thunderbird LX 4.6 sohc, 60,000 original miles and lots of room for improvement.... All show and no go for now...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in