Nitrous info please.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Nitrous info please....

I have little to no knowlegde of Nitrous and want to learn before we make any decisions. If you guys can recommend a good website to learn from, brand of nitrous kit, kind of kit, recommended shot size, ect it would be greatly appreciated.

This is going to be going on a stock 4.6 97 Tbird. Along with the kit we will be upgrading the trans, TC, injectors, fuel pump, Maf, Exhaust, going with a PI intake and cams, and misc other parts. The kit wont be used often, *hardly ever* more of a "bling" factor but we want it to be functional and done as correctly as possible.

Money is somewhat of an issue but can be adjusted to accomodate.

Thank You.

Some supercharged cars blow.......Others just pick up and move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 12:50 PM
Amp
Smoothmeister K

Is this for when you can do that *pssst* sound as you roll up to someone as we mentioned Saturday night?

Man who run in front of car get tired.
Man who run behind car get exhausted.

Midwest Thundercats
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

You were not supposed to see this thead.....move along...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 09:55 PM

I would say a Zex dry kit would be a good choice. Easy to install, you won't have to worry about fuel puddling in the intake, and can get very good performance gains.

Zex Ford kit (dry)

A purge would definitely help the "bling" factor, among helping to clear the main feed line for better launches. Plus I think the whole kit looks nice. Also a heater would help performance by keeping the bottle pressure at the right PSI, but according to their site the control box helps make running at low PSI safe....
It ranges from 75-125 shots, which any of those are "safe" with our engines.
A pressure gauge is definitely something you should get either way. Also an adjustable fuel pressure regulator would add to the looks, as well as help performance/safety. There is atleast 1 person running a Zex dry kit, and he produces really good times.

Nitrous Express definitely makes a good wet kit, gonna cost a little more though. You definitely would want a bottle heater, a window switch would be the best idea as well. It won't be as "fancy" looking as the Zex kit, but it doesn't look bad by any means. you will have the risk of fuel puddling, which a window switch helps prevent that. A bigger fuel pump is recommended, especially over a 75 shot.

There's a lot of variables and different options, so as more questions are brought up, they can be answered, other wise I would be typing all night

97' 4.6 LX - [email protected] 1880ft Air Density Altitude, 86*
95' 4.6 40th Anniversary Edition
01' 4.6 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges

Last edited by Aaron_T; 04-09-2004 at 03:18 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Can you explain how a window switch works?

Thanks.
Mike

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 03:41 AM

A window switch sends signals at certain rpms. One being the "activation" rpm, and one being the shut-off rpm. With these engines, it's best to not spray too much lower than 3000rpm, and you obviously don't want to accidentally hit the rev limiter while spraying so you would set the shutoff point before that.
There are different window switches availabe. Ones like the MSD switch takes "pills", which you use one pill to set when to activate and one pill for when to stop spraying.
So say you put a 3000rpm pill for activation, and a 5900rpm pill for deactivation, it will start spraying once you hit 3000rpms, and stop at 5900rpms. The pills are only good for the set rpm, they aren't adjustable, which kind of sucks because you could spend a lot of money buying various pills. However there is something you can make for the MSD switches to make them fully adjustable.
There are fully adjustable ones, like I have. Mine is adjustable from 500-12,000rpms.
I also have mine set to quit spraying right before it shifts, just to be easier on the tranny.

There are usually 4 wires that need to be connected - ground, power, tach signal, and the output. On mine the output sends a ground signal, not sure about others. Either way you would wire everything so the solenoid(s) would only turn on at WOT, and bewtween the selected rpms. I used 2 relays and 1 switch for the solenoids, window switch, and WOT switch. Makes it easy for me to use.

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges

Last edited by Aaron_T; 04-09-2004 at 03:49 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 10:57 AM

I purchased a Zex Dry Kit to install in my Bird. It’s a great looking kit (if you can deal with all the purple) Zex apparently does not make the power some of the other N20 kits but I’m sure I’ll get enough punch out of it to make me happy. Everyone I’ve talked to agree the Zex kit will be very safe on my motor and that was a big factor on me going with Zex. I also wanted a window switch and I have on order one from Harlan Engineering this window switch does not use “pills” you just program the wanted RPM’s. I don’t have the system installed yet but when I do I’ll post some PIC’s and a review.

Jim
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Balok
I I also wanted a window switch and I have on order one from Harlan Engineering this window switch does not use “pills” you just program the wanted RPM’s. I don’t have the system installed yet but when I do I’ll post some PIC’s and a review.

Jim
That's the one I bought.
Not sure how long ago you ordered it, but it could take quite a while, but it's well worth the wait.

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 04:27 PM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
Mine has definately made enough for me for 5 years to keep me happy! Window switch, what the hell is that????

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1MTNCAT
Mine has definately made enough for me for 5 years to keep me happy! Window switch, what the hell is that????
It rolls the windows down at set rpms

Balok: I was gonna be taking some better pics of my nitrous install, including pics of the Harlan window switch (I have a crappy pics currently).....

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thank you for the explaination and review.

How hard is it to hook up a kit? From what I have read the Zex kit is one of the easier to set up. I imagine easier than setting up an AED so I should be OK in that area. How complicated is running the lines and the wiring to get everything working correctly? Thats one of my main concerns, I HATE wiring, can do it but just cant stand it.

What is a "safe" shot to use on these engines. We plan on starting slow and working our way up. You said the 75 to 100 is "OK" and is what the kit offers. Can you start lower to get the feel for what you are doing?

On the Zex link I see that you can buy a plethera of extras. Can you mix and match components of different nitrous systems? Say a purge kit from NOS and the Zex "kit".

Thanks for the help guys. Very appreciated.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 06:30 PM

It's pretty easy actually, just time consuming, no matter what kit you get. Zex being the least complicated, but with add ons more time and wiring is involved depending on what it is.
Running the lines is easy, there is a factory gromet on the passenger side behind the carpet, kind of along the floor board and that is where I fed most of the wiring and the nitrous bottle to solenoid line. I did pull my passenger seat so I could get the lines/wires well hidden.
Once I know what kit you have, and what add-ons, I could easily make up a wiring diagram, that should really make it go quicker and easier.
Finding a place to mount the solenoids or the Zex box thing took me a while since I wanted mine hidden, but it isn't too hard finding a spot.

You can run a 125 shot, even some 96-98 Stang guys run 150 shots, but's that is kind of pushing your luck.
I was gonna start with a 50 shot to get used to it, but I let someone borrow some jets so I went with what should be a 60 shot. Definitely noticable

You can mix and match most, if not all extras you may get. I bought my purge kit from
http://www.nitrouskits.com/store/Scripts/default.asp and it works great (it's their own brand).

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
With the 4.6 motors with plastic intakes I would also go for the Zex dry kit. The Zex kits are a hell of a lot easier to install then the others and makes for a nice clean install. I talked to Zex last week and they are coming out with a plate system for carb users. I hope to have one of these kits for my little sleeper truck. I run NX gear in my Cat and it is a great system but has a lot more parts to deal with.

Regards

Mark

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

That looks like a very nice setup Mark. Seen it before on here but never had a chance to compliment you on it.

And for Aaron_T....You have great taste in rim choice.... ..Im just glad you live so far away.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Im sure once we decide what we are going to do I'll be asking a lot more questions. Im leaning towards the Zex kit because of the ease of operation. Just sounds easier to use and an all around good kit.

Why did you mention that the power output of the Zex kit is lower than claimed.

How do you guys feel about used nitrous systems. I see tons of them on Ebay for cheap.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 01:28 PM

I knew there was someone else on here with those rims. All those pics on my site are old, and reader'sride is more up to date.

Zex power gains are noramlly crank gains, versus other kits are like NX and TNT2 are at the wheels, and are actually under rated.

A used kit is a good way to go IMO. Normally you can find a kit, plus most accessories you would need for less than wheat a new kits costs, or close.

2000 Summit 700
purgeclip
GMvsFordforum
A.R.T.
Scotts' custom gauges

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in