trying to jump in the NOS game - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

trying to jump in the NOS game

how you guys doing. since i've done my pi heads n intake swap, i would like to try dropping in sme Nos. so far i hear people stating Zex dry kits would be the way to go. so i'm going that way. but i have a couple of questions.

what else would i need to upgrade if install the zex kit?

Is there any possible way of me installing it or should i have a professional do it?

What shot should i go with?

whats the dark side of have te zex kit?

and how much am i looking at in order to get a Zex kit and install it?

if you guys can help me out, and guide me to the light that ll be great thanks

Rigel

94 tbird- 00 pi stang motor, Steeda intake system, Accufab 70mm throttle body,upper plenum, dual flows from flowmaster, transgo shift kit, B&M tranny cooler, aluminum driveshaft, 4.10 frpp, Mark8 TC, ScT chip,18x9 Rims.

04 cadillac ctsV--my monster, that takes the wife n kids out,and gets the groceries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:13 AM

If you swapped your heads yourself, you'll be able to install a Zex kit. It's pretty straight forward. A lager fuel pump would be a very good idea, and an AFP wouldn't hurt either. Get a bottle heater to keep the pressure up, a gauge to moniter the pressure. A new kit from Summit is around $500. Gauges run anywhere from $50+ depending on which one you get. Oh yeah, get a purge kit too. About $100. Heaters vary, I just ordered one that is pressure controlled, about $170. That should be all you need, minus the nitrous itself. With any power adder, you have to be aware that your motor could go anytime, but running a Zex kit 'safely' you should be fine for awhile. I would start out at a 75 shot and not get too greedy, maybe 100 after a bit of time, but I would shy away from the 125 for quite some time. Premium gas is definately a requirement also (92+).

Joe
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:19 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Midnight
-Well I would look into a fuel pump, injectors, and a tune. They aren't required but it is a good thing to have for safety.

Is there any possible way of me installing it or should i have a professional do it?
-I bought the zex kit for many reasons, ease of install was one of them. From what I hear it is probably one of the easier kits to install. I am going to have the place who is going to do my tune look over my install just to check out and make sure everything is ok.

-I will tell you what I wouldn't go with, that is anything over 100. That is for me to be safe. I have read about people going up to 125 and running that, but I don't want to take the chance.

-Its nitrous, and if the little brain box goes bad it could be dangerous and very hard to tell

-You could easily find a nice used zex kit for under 400. I have a total of 600 into mine including a new purge kit and a used nx bottle warmer.

There is a lot of talk about it in several posts. Read, reread, and then read again. In the end it is your decision that you have to stick with.

I am going to have mine dyno-tuned and if you have a chip I would recommend it anyways. Lonnie said that he could do a tune through the mail. So that would be your call to.

Sprtnlax14: i was was up at 4:30 to hunt
LtlLinds424: you did NOT just say hunt
Sprtnlax14: whatever, the day you become a vegan we'll talk
LtlLinds424: the day that you stop only spitting game and not producing girls in your bed... we'll talk

My Dragons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

thanks alot joe so i when i purchase the kit ask them to get me a bottle warmer and a purge kit. what is a AFP if i may ask ?

Rigel

94 tbird- 00 pi stang motor, Steeda intake system, Accufab 70mm throttle body,upper plenum, dual flows from flowmaster, transgo shift kit, B&M tranny cooler, aluminum driveshaft, 4.10 frpp, Mark8 TC, ScT chip,18x9 Rims.

04 cadillac ctsV--my monster, that takes the wife n kids out,and gets the groceries.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

thanks alot midnight for your info

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mn12KnightRyder
how you guys doing. since i've done my pi heads n intake swap, i would like to try dropping in sme Nos. so far i hear people stating Zex dry kits would be the way to go. so i'm going that way. but i have a couple of questions.

if you guys can help me out, and guide me to the light that ll be great thanks

Rigel
upgrade the fuel pump and get an adjusttable fuel pressure regulator (AFP)

definitly install it yourself. the install consists of mount things and connecting 3 wires, thats it. i never messed with nitrous before and i installed mine in a few hours.

i agree with the other guy, stay with 100 or less to keep it safe.

dark side of zex kit is that it is a power adder and with any power adder if its abused or misused you can lose a motor

new your looking at about $750-$800 for everything. used your looking at about $550-$600. by everthing i mean nitrous kit, purge kit, bottle heater, and pressure gauge

when will you be looking to buy? my kit might be for sale soon. its just about brand new, i've only run 2 full bottles through it and i bought it last ocotber. pm me if your interested.

Frank

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 11:11 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Midnight
If you were to buy one I would do it with Frank. You know that it will be a straight forward sale and that you are sure about what you are going to get.

Sprtnlax14: i was was up at 4:30 to hunt
LtlLinds424: you did NOT just say hunt
Sprtnlax14: whatever, the day you become a vegan we'll talk
LtlLinds424: the day that you stop only spitting game and not producing girls in your bed... we'll talk

My Dragons
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Quote:
i would like to try dropping in some Nos.
Rigel
Please....it is nitrous.

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96bird
Please....it is nitrous.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

my fault nitrous

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 96bird
Quote:
my fault nitrous
no biggie

JL's chassis braces, ST springs w/ 1 coil cut in rear (27.2" F 28" R), Airlift airbags (5 psi), Bilstein shocks, Cobra brakes F & R, ROH RT 17x9s, 255/285s Khumo Ecsta MX tires, 2.5" dual exhaust w/borla mufflers, 1 3/8 f & r bars, remote filter,subframe buildup, Al differential bushings, J-modded '02 tranny, 9.5" DD stall, 30K Hayden cooler, PI intake, 02 GT MAF, XCal 2

Want to talk/hangout with MN12 owners from GA? Go here.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2005, 02:03 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

nawwz

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 02:53 PM

No, make that two, two of the big ones, . . . and you need it by tonight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in