Is Nitrous safe these days? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Is Nitrous safe these days?

Gents:

How is nitrous these days? Is it a fine science now. I remember in the 80 or early 90's that they were bad for motors... Now I here that its safe.

Well I want to get a single shot of nitrous.... for my 4.6L forged bottom end, 9psi boost....

Its my everyday car and I would only use it at the strip. What do you think? GO for it? If so what do you recommend please... I know nothing about Nitrous.

Thanks

2002 EXPLORER: 400+whp 2v/M90 434tq / 401rwhp @ 9psi.. suv, 20's, IRS, slush box
COMING SOON: Modular Performance 324ci, Trick Flow Heads w/custom grind cams, Tork Tech TVS SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
I'd have one hell of a tune on that thing before I pressed the button, that's for sure. I don't think Nitrous will ever be entirely safe. I especially don't trust it with boost. But I've never used the stuff, and I'm paranoid.. so..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 09:10 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:05 PM

It really doesn't do anything different than a blower. Except that nitrous cools the air charge instead of heating it to well over 100 degrees like a blower does. As long as you keep it reasonable (like a 75 shot), and make sure your AF is ok, you should be fine.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Sweet T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228
It really doesn't do anything different than a blower. Except that nitrous cools the air charge instead of heating it to well over 100 degrees like a blower does. As long as you keep it reasonable (like a 75 shot), and make sure your AF is ok, you should be fine.
THe problem with nitrous is that while boost builds relatively steady with a blower, nitrous is an instantaneous strain on the rods, pistons, crank, etc. You hit that button and boom... there's your power. With a blower, you have to build boost either with increased pressure from exhaust gas or by increased crank pulley speed...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:45 PM

Think about this though....every single time you hit the gas with a blower...it will add the extra strain to the motor...how often do you turn the bottle on? supercharged motors see more strain on a constant basis than those on nitrous.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 02:59 AM
Sweet T

I realize. My point with mentioning strain is the fact that when you do push the button, the nitrous is going to put more strain on your rotating assembly than a blower. Nitrous is more concussive.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 07:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
IMHO, boost (centrifugal or turbo) and nitrous is a great combination IF USED PROPERLY. You get the obvious power increase from the nitrous AND the cooling benefits to boot.

My suggestion, besides what has already been mentioned, is to use a nitrous controller so you can have it come in slowly. Or even better yet, have it come in proportional to the boost. I am not a fan of the “all at once” aspect of nitrous (but I’ve never ran it, so I am far from an expert!!) due to the sudden loads put on the reciprocating assembly and the “tuning” problems of making sure the fuel is there the same time the nitrous is there.

As far as being safe… yes. This is in no way new technology; nitrous was used in WWII to get higher altitude from fighter planes.

Just my .02 (and like I said, I am no expert).

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 08:15 AM
PostWhore

Yeah it's perfectly safe if everything goes right, it's just when it doesn't that things get broken.

For example last weekend I took my SC to the track and raced it using a 100 HP shot of nitrous (wet system) just like always. It launched real hard and when the tach reached 5700 rpms it just quit and then BOOM !!! Cough sputter sputter puff of black smoke and engine recovers.

But then I can smell fuel real strong, there is a hissing noise and the engine sounds louder and kind of raspy.

Still not 100% sure what happened but it seems that the ignition wasn't strong enough and the spark got blown out, then the air/fuel/nitrous mixture was ignited by the hot exhaust cats or when the ignition recovered. Like turning your key off then quickly turning it back on.

Later I figured out the reason for smelling fuel and the hissing...it blew off the hose to the boost gauge behind the instrument cluster and I was getting some of the nitrous and fuel that was being injected prior to the boost gauge hose connection, into the cabin of the car.

Wasn't sure if I had hit the rev limiter (set at 6800) so I tried one more time. Got to 5700 rpms and BOOM !!! This time it blew off the vacuum hose to the fuel pressure regulator and made the exhaust even louder. And since the boost gauge hose was still pumping fuel mist and nitrous into the car, I'm glad nothing sparked.

This happened once last year and it shattered the first stage of one of the cats, and that material clogged the remaining stage. This time it sounds like I split one of the new cats wide open.

So is nitrous totally safe....NO, but if you install and use it correctly it's not likely to cause any problems.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Formerly Fdawg97LX

Send a message via AIM to Fdawg03SVT
as long as your car is tuned on the nitrous and you beef up the fuel system to support the blower and nitrous, its pretty safe. you dont want to run a huge shot since your already supercharged, like 50-75 shot would be good.

Frank

2007 Dodge Ram 1500
2008 Suzuki GSX-R1000

Previous Rides:
2003 Suzuki GSX-R750
2003 Mustang Cobra 10th Anniversary - 11.2 @ 130
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 - 13.7 @ 103
1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 - Slow
1990 Thunderbird 3.8 - Slower
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 10:20 AM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator

Garage
Well I'm no expert at dual power adders and likely will never be. I realize the benefits of using the bottle on the blower motor and likely you would have a very significant increase in power due to the cooler charge and the fact the fuel is more oxigenated and more efficiently able to burn the fuel present.

As far as parts breakage due to instantaneous nitrous use, I can't really say. I do know this. I am currently, and also in the past ran the 125 shot of nitrous on my factory STOCK 4.6 engines and did so effectively without hurting parts. But, there is always that possibility. I'd be a fool to think otherwise but it has been enough so far to push me to the brink of the 11's.

With built motors, forged bottom ends, good heads and cams and such, good tune etc, I see no reason why a dual power adder motor should not be able to effectively run up to a 100 shot or more for that matter, with all the right set-ups.

Since its only going to be used sporadically should be even less of a concern once all the issues are addressed.

Those are my thoughts for what they are worth.

Good luck whatever you choose to do!!!

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"

Last edited by 1MTNCAT; 04-27-2005 at 10:25 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 10:57 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Well I'm no expert at dual power adders and likely will never be. I realize the benefits of using the bottle on the blower motor and likely you would have a very significant increase in power due to the cooler charge and the fact the fuel is more oxigenated and more efficiently able to burn the fuel present.
You are correct, because a 100 HP shot on my SC yeilds 100 rwhp gain with an aod and non locking converter, which equates to about 125 HP increase at the flywheel.

David

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat..................707HP/650TQ
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

the more I read the more I want it.... I think ill go for a 75 shot way till the end of my building and tuning.... once shes finely tuned. I got my pistons and rods today.. very exciting.. the Eagle rods have outstanding quality... you can BARELY see the merge on the bottom of the rods.. and cant feel it.

2002 EXPLORER: 400+whp 2v/M90 434tq / 401rwhp @ 9psi.. suv, 20's, IRS, slush box
COMING SOON: Modular Performance 324ci, Trick Flow Heads w/custom grind cams, Tork Tech TVS SC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in