probs with zex 75 shot - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to joker77_2005
probs with zex 75 shot

95 bird 4.6 with the 4r70w shifts fine like it should at part and full throttle with out nos,when i run the nos it wont shift unless i let off the nos button any ideas?
thanks
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 05:42 PM

what trans set-up do you have? J-mod, different stall? anything done to the trans at all or is it bone stock?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

and to add to that, you still running the stock eec program?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/ I like intakes that whine \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

# SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;
# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

have you got it wired correctly? you dont really need a tune for the zex kit although it is highly recommended.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

stock trans stock t. converter no modifications b4 i put the trans in i did both front and rear seals and a new filter and gasket ,a nd also had the t converter and cooler lines flushed,stock tune,also i installed gutted cats,magnaflow cat back exhaust,u.d.pullies ,255lph fuel pump,a.f.p.regulater,and custom cold air set up
and to add to that i spent all my money and cant swing a chip or xcal2 rite now
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

im leaning towards something being wired wrong.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

the zex kit is wired correctly,i checked over everything again,it was a simple install,one wire to a switch to arm the box and the other wire to a push button to engage the unit
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

what? should have been (and its been awhile since i put mine on) a ground, power wire, a wire to the switch and a wire to the tps.

are you using the wet or dry kit?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

iwe are getting side tracked on the problem at hand ,my problem is with the trans shifting not the zex kit should i have this thread put in the transmission section?
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well if its wired wrong and goofs up the TPS then it won't shift properly. I have installed these, so I know you have to hook to the TPS. Are you absolutely, positively sure it is wired properly?
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 04:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

yup, thats what i was getting at. if its shifting fine every other time then i really dont think you have a transmission issue. and if you did darrin is the expert on trannys so he would know.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

i dont have the zex hooked to the tps
i was thinking maybe the tranny cant handle the exrta torque and is somehow slow to responde under nos load
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:17 AM
Whining Intakes Rock

What I was trying to get at was if he modified the rear gears and did not reprogram the eec, his shift points will be all messed up. If you're running the dry kit it sounds like a wiring problem to me also. You shouldn't have to do the fast and furious "nahhhssss" button with a zex dry.

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Whining Intakes Rock

You should replace your trans anyway. The stock 94 is not going to last very long with nitrous. It breaks easy enough n/a.

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

well its a new tranny from jasper ,i put it in my sisters 94 bird ,3 months later she was rearended ,so i took the tranny and put it in my 95 bird
also i have stock rear gears in my 95
on another note if i run the wire to the tps can i still use the push button to activate?
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 07:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker77_2005
well its a new tranny from jasper
I think you found your own answer. Jasper doesn't build anything like a performance tranny and if its for a 94-95 then you need something different to handle rough use even with stock power. The early transmissions can't do it, rebuilt or not.
Are you using a pushbutton with a dry kit?
Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

yea push button activation for the nos,i dont want it to spray b4 3k rpm
is there anything i can install in the trans to improve the shifting with out dropping the trans ie a certain shift kit ?
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

If you install anything to improve the shifting on a 94-95 transmission it will definitley break. The problem is with the internal components, not so much the valve body. Its actually a good thing you are not able to use the ZEX because your tranny just isn't up to it.
Darrin

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

well you would have to wire up a window switch, i think joel uses one or atleast knows more than me. out of the box the zex kit is wired to your tps and will spray at wot. i guess if you didnt want to worry about the window switch you could just wire it to the tps and hit the switch once you hit 3k.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

well the zex kit works without any problems the way i have it hooked up ,it isnt wired into any sensors to turn on so a feedback problem is out of the question .ill just have to let off the nos to allow the trans to shift ,then i can hit the button again and so on .im not trying to set a land speed record ,i just installed it to have a little fun .on another note my 94 xr7 v8 that i bought new has 206k miles on it ,the trans has never been rebuilt and all i have done is drop the pan and do the filter every 45 k miles and i beat the hell out of it whenever i can and it still has yet to give me any problems(knock on wood).im hard pressed to believe that these trannys are that bad off coming from ford
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ford stopped production on them and made a redesigned case because they were so bad.
Trust me, they are that bad. But hey, what do I know. LOL
Darrin

Oh, maybe you don't know what I do for a living. Ask around.

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

DARRIN,
in no way am i trying to put down ur knowlege on these things ,im in search of knowlege and you seem to have it
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
DARRIN,
in no way am i trying to put down ur knowlege on these things ,im in search of knowlege and you seem to have it
Ok, I understand that. But why do want to say things like this after someone directly tells you otherwise?

Quote:
im hard pressed to believe that these trannys are that bad off coming from ford
I am not at all angry with you. I just think its funny that some people ask a question because they don't know the answer. When they get an answer they don't want to hear they want to question the answer because they think they know better.
I get a huge kick out of it.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

so if these trannys are so prone to failure then what is the point of doing the jmod and valve body mods as listed in the tech articles.in my case and im sure alot of others maybe is,i come to the site looking for technical articles and i see
A-Train's Shift Kit Install - Jerry's mod
Modifing Valve Body to Jerry's specifictions - Jerry's mod
now nowwhere do i see where it says the 94-97 4r70w trannys are junk and need to be replaced with a 99 up tranny
this is what i am tring to understand
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Quote:
im hard pressed to believe that these trannys are that bad off coming from ford
less than 1000 miles on a rebuilt 94 trans and I stripped the splines out of the forward hub. This was before a supercharged or nitrous.

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Whining Intakes Rock

Quote:
so if these trannys are so prone to failure then what is the point of doing the jmod and valve body mods as listed in the tech articles.in my case and im sure alot of others maybe is,i come to the site looking for technical articles and i see
A-Train's Shift Kit Install - Jerry's mod
Modifing Valve Body to Jerry's specifictions - Jerry's mod
now nowwhere do i see where it says the 94-97 4r70w trannys are junk and need to be replaced with a 99 up tranny
this is what i am tring to understand
Those articles were written awhile ago. The '99 4r70w received an upgraded valve body. The '98 4r70w received the mechanical one-way diode replacing the roller pin one. The rollers and keepers fail easily. And from what I understand the 02 4r70w case had a better fluid flow.

# 0 rows returned
# drop table users;_
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Nowhere do you see that the 94-95 transmissions are junk??? Where have you been reading? Certainly not this site or any factual transmission related information source.
How about you just go ahead and do whatever it is that you are going to do and come back when you really need or want honest and factual help, huh? There will be a great big huge I told you so coming, but once that is all over we can all be friends and you will have gained the understanding that we are not all just full of sh!t. You are not the first to think what you are thinking and you most certainly wont be the last. All we can do is to try and help those who actually want to be helped and share the experience and knowledge to help prevent them from making costly mistakes. It would be the responsible thing to do to report the final outcome of your adventure to help others who doubt.
Just think about this, how come Ford scrapped that case after the first couple of years and spent all that money for a redesign and the tooling to manufacture it in a different way? They had another case for one year after that and changed it again in 97 to properly exhaust the forward clutch. They also changed a few things to provide proper lubrication for a new fangled thingy called a mechanical diode one way clutch. I will tell you why they went through all of that, that old roller clutch didn't hold up and the original case was weak. I don't mean weak as in my opinion of it, I mean weak as in it breaks. Also the forward clutch wasn't exhausting fast enough for overdrive coming on and causing it to be partially applied when it shouldn't be. That made things like stub shafts break and forward hubs de-spline themselves.
I am terribly sorry to have to tell you that they are junk for these cars and especially for anyone doing what you want to do, but they truly are. Unfortunately I can't change the fact that you don't like hearing this just as much as you can't change the reality of it by denying it. There is a lot of stuff I don't like, and I wish that demanding that it isn't so against all the facts and the reality of it would change things sometimes. But, it is what it is.
I rebuild these. I rebuild a lot of these. I won't even take the 94-95 ones back as a core. Why, because they are junk and I would never put my name on anything using the parts from one.
Again, sorry to be the bearer of information that doesn't fit your convenience. But, you did ask. The larger question is what you are going to do with the information?
Read the Ford Overdrive Transmissions 101 in the tech section from start to finish. Write down all the changes from 94 to 97 to 98 and 99. Think about what Jerry is saying. He was on the design team for that transmission and he says the early ones are not suitable for any sort of performance application whatsoever. He says to start with a 99 transmission for any performance oriented use. Read the article.
Its up to you what to do. All of the information is on this site and all over it for that matter.
Good luck
Darrin

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 06:53 AM
5th Gear Poster

I beat on the 95 stock tranny for 3 years with shift kit set on full race and a pi convertor When they did the rebuild the oneway clutch fell apart in his hands
He said it was the closet grenade he had ever seen.
The gear set is good but like you said allot of the internals need to be upgraded to make it savy.

mazda6 Sport- 06
100hp worth of Stickers coming soon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in