Safest Nitrous Set Up - TCCoA Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sCrEaMiN BiRd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 974
Safest Nitrous Set Up

Hi everyone. I have been researching for about a week and a half now and it seems like everyone seems to like the Zex dry nitrous kit. So i have decided that i will most likely get the Zex unless someone convinces me otherwise.

However, my question is can i run a smaller shot such as 50 with this kit (seems as though most are running a 75+)?

Also i have heard that a "nitrous tune" chip is some good insurance... who should i get this chip from? Lonnie?

And with a 50 shot do i need to upgrade my fuel system, as i have heard that getting injectors can actually confuse the Zex computer program from compensating for bottle pressure?

And my final question is there anything i am missing in this list? 1. Zex dry nitrous kit, 2. Bottle heater, 3. nitrous tuned chip?...

Thanks so much! I just dont wanna blow my motor (125K on it).
sCrEaMiN BiRd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
FordFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: sell out lane
Posts: 3,192
Quote:
However, my question is can i run a smaller shot such as 50 with this kit (seems as though most are running a 75+)?
i am currently running a 50 shot with my zex kit because i don't have a nitrous tune on my chip. I'll look around, i have the pill sizes that zex gave me.

Quote:
And with a 50 shot do i need to upgrade my fuel system, as i have heard that getting injectors can actually confuse the Zex computer program from compensating for bottle pressure?
for a 50 shot you probably don't need to upgrade your fuel system, but it is cheap insurance. definitely upgrade if you plan to run a higher hp shot (have never heard of upgrading the injectors though).

Quote:
And my final question is there anything i am missing in this list? 1. Zex dry nitrous kit, 2. Bottle heater, 3. nitrous tuned chip?...
a bottle blanket and a bottle pressure gauge are both nice to have (summit or jegs brand work perfect and are way cheaper than the brand name ones).
FordFanatic is offline  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 09:28 AM
4th Gear Poster
 
tbirdmedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 67
Posts: 336
I am in the middle of researching the same upgrade, and the ZEX DRY kit seems to be the best option and the one most recommended. It seems to me that it starts at a 75 shot now. Not sure if you are able to change and lower to a 50. I emailed ZEX with some questions, but they dont seem to be too interested in responding. A few in TCCOA have these on their cars. Use them like rented mules as a resource. Good luck and I will post any new info I come across.

TbirdMedic
1995 SUPERCOUPE 5-SPEED
'95 LX with a few mods
tbirdmedic is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
FordFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: sell out lane
Posts: 3,192
ok, found the info to run the 55hp shot (strait from zex). you'll need either a 49, or 50 jet for the fuel (cant remember which one i used) and a 32 jet for the nitrous. also here is the info for running a 65hp shot. 46 jet for fuel, and either a 35 or 36 jet on the nitrous. hope this helps ya out.

edit: you can buy the jets on ehey

Last edited by FordFanatic; 10-18-2006 at 10:21 AM.
FordFanatic is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sCrEaMiN BiRd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic
ok, found the info to run the 55hp shot (strait from zex). you'll need either a 49, or 50 jet for the fuel (cant remember which one i used) and a 32 jet for the nitrous. also here is the info for running a 65hp shot. 46 jet for fuel, and either a 35 or 36 jet on the nitrous. hope this helps ya out.

edit: you can buy the jets on ehey
Cool thanks alot for the pill information! But when u say upgrading the fuel system is cheap insurance, what does something like this include? And is this difficult for a weekend mechanic to do? And just one more, with your 50 shot how much of a gain did u get from it (hp and 1/4 mile). Thanks again bro
sCrEaMiN BiRd is offline  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
FordFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: sell out lane
Posts: 3,192
a high flow fuel pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. can all be done with basic hand tools in your driveway.

with all my mods (gears, chip, underdrives, maf, j-mod) i was running a best of 15.3 na, with the 50 shot i ran a best of 14.2. couldnt tell you about the hp, never had it on a dyno.

Last edited by FordFanatic; 10-18-2006 at 08:27 PM.
FordFanatic is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sCrEaMiN BiRd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic
a high flow fuel pump and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. can all be done with basic hand tools in your driveway.

with all my mods (gears, chip, underdrives, maf, j-mod) i was running a best of 15.3 na, with the 50 shot i ran a best of 14.2. couldnt tell you about the hp, never had it on a dyno.
Okay sounds good. Thanks alot!
sCrEaMiN BiRd is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 09:40 PM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator
 
1MTNCAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hedgesville, WV
Age: 61
Posts: 2,643
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFanatic
ok, found the info to run the 55hp shot (strait from zex). you'll need either a 49, or 50 jet for the fuel (cant remember which one i used) and a 32 jet for the nitrous. also here is the info for running a 65hp shot. 46 jet for fuel, and either a 35 or 36 jet on the nitrous. hope this helps ya out.

edit: you can buy the jets on ehey

I don't think so. Those jet sizes aren't even close!!!!! Each step up should be more nitrous and leaner on fuel.

The 55 HP should be in the Nitrous 32-Fuel 36, 65 HP shot nitrous 35 - Fuel 34. The updated 75 -100-125 shot are Slightly different than before. The 100 shot is Nitrous 46 - Fuel 40, and the 125 Nitrous 54 - Fuel 34. That is based on a ZEX dry kit, 4.6L with 19Lb injectors.

The 55-65-75 shot jets may vary somewhat but I can guarantee you they are close to what the initial jets were. This came straight from my packet years ago that I have in front of me.

Make sure you are getting the correct information for the correct system. If its a new system it should have the information in the packet.

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
1MTNCAT is offline  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sCrEaMiN BiRd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MTNCAT
I don't think so. Those jet sizes aren't even close!!!!! Each step up should be more nitrous and leaner on fuel.

The 55 HP should be in the Nitrous 32-Fuel 36, 65 HP shot nitrous 35 - Fuel 34. The updated 75 -100-125 shot are Slightly different than before. The 100 shot is Nitrous 46 - Fuel 40, and the 125 Nitrous 54 - Fuel 34. That is based on a ZEX dry kit, 4.6L with 19Lb injectors.

The 55-65-75 shot jets may vary somewhat but I can guarantee you they are close to what the initial jets were. This came straight from my packet years ago that I have in front of me.

Make sure you are getting the correct information for the correct system. If its a new system it should have the information in the packet.
Wow it seems as though you really know alot about nitrous. I think when the time comes i'll just call Zex just to make sure... Not that i dont believe or appreciate what you just said but it's a just in case thing i suppose... But uhmm i was wondering if you could direct me in the right direction to what fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator i should get? (96 4.6 Liter) Thanks alot
sCrEaMiN BiRd is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 07:29 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
FordFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: sell out lane
Posts: 3,192
Quote:
Wow it seems as though you really know alot about nitrous
yes, yes he does.

well i got that info by calling zex and asking them, but it was a couple of years ago. if the 75-125 kit has changed maybe they have changed their other jet sizes as well????? beats me, you have waaayyyyyy more experience with this stuff than me.

anyway steve, im running those jet sizes now for the 55hp setting, what hp shot size did zex tell me to put in there????

fuel pump i would get the 255

Last edited by FordFanatic; 10-19-2006 at 09:16 AM.
FordFanatic is offline  
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 11:27 AM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator
 
1MTNCAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hedgesville, WV
Age: 61
Posts: 2,643
Garage
I truthfully don't know who you talked to but they obviously didn't know WTH they were talking about.

The 75 shot should be Nitrous 38- Fuel 34.

The 100 shot should be Nitrous 46 - Fuel 40

The old 125 shot should be Nitrous 52 - Fuel 38. The new one is Nitrous 54- Fuel 34.

Remember thats for the 4.6L V8, DRY KIT, set for 19# injectors. If you've upgraded injectors, mods, etc, then some tweeking needs to be done with the jets.

For the smaller shots use the ones in the last post. If you plan to go larger step it up over time and see how the car reacts. If the engine is in good condition and state of tune there is no reason why it should not be able to handle 55-75 shot. I'd certainly recommend upgrading the Fuel pump and Fuel pressure modulator at a minimum along with a tune for the car with your mods to keep it safe.

Use the system appropriately. I've said before and will again, you go beating on it, it'll beat back. Know what you are doing when you use it and do so safely for you and the car.

Happy Modding!

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
1MTNCAT is offline  
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
FordFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: sell out lane
Posts: 3,192
Quote:
Remember thats for the 4.6L V8, DRY KIT, set for 19# injectors. If you've upgraded injectors, mods, etc, then some tweeking needs to be done with the jets.
nope, havent touched any of that. just upgraded the fuel pump and added the adjustable fpr like you recommended before. maybe the retard at zex thought i was talking about a wet kit.


anyway, thanks for the info, guess i'll change out the jets before i take it to the track again.
FordFanatic is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sCrEaMiN BiRd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 974
OKay a couple more questions. I have seen various ADJUSTABLE fuel pressure regulators and many "high performance" fuel pressure regulators. Is an adjustable regulator really that much better than just a performance regulator? i also researched a bit on the Zex website and saw a set of their specialized spark plugs... are those worth getting also? (only about $50 or so). Thanks again!
sCrEaMiN BiRd is offline  
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sCrEaMiN BiRd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 974
I was researching on Zex.com a little more and i was wondering if this http://www.compperformancegroupstore..._Code=FUELPUMP is a better option than doing the intake Walbro high flow pump and regulator. As i dont have access to a lift (dropping the tank will be that much more difficutl without a lift) and my exhaust is in one piece so if i do have to drop the tank i'd have to cut the exhaust off and weld it back on. So just wondering if the Zex boost a pump is a valid option for a fuel upgrade. Thanks alot!
sCrEaMiN BiRd is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
4th Gear Poster
 
tbirdmedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 67
Posts: 336
I was considering the same option. I am hoping someone who has installed something similar will give some feedback.

TbirdMedic
1995 SUPERCOUPE 5-SPEED
'95 LX with a few mods
tbirdmedic is offline  
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
FordFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: sell out lane
Posts: 3,192
scp has the regulators for a good price, go to page four on the link. http://www.supercoupeperformance.com...px?category=19

for the fuel pressure gauge i bought a summit brand one and then went to home depot and bought some brass fittings to screw it into the regulator. alot cheaper than scp's $50 setup.

as for the boost a pump, honestly i have no clue. tbirdmedic, if you have a stock exhaust dropping the tank is very easy.
FordFanatic is offline  
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:05 PM
4th Gear Poster
 
tbirdmedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 67
Posts: 336
Thats my problem. The exhaust is aftermarket. I havent had it up yet to check, but from what I remember, I will have to move a lot to do it. I am going to get it on a hoist on Thursday to have it rustproofed again, so I will give it a good looksee. I am compiling as much info about the Nitrous as I can. I dont want to go into this blind. Though if I do manage to blow it up, I see a CRATE MOTOR in my future!!!!! VROOM VROOM

TbirdMedic
1995 SUPERCOUPE 5-SPEED
'95 LX with a few mods
tbirdmedic is offline  
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
FordFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: sell out lane
Posts: 3,192
is it a cat back kit, or custom made system? if its just a cat back system you can pull it off easy. i put my pump in before i had my new exhaust system made.
FordFanatic is offline  
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 02:13 PM
4th Gear Poster
 
tbirdmedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 67
Posts: 336
Custom build. Might be a few issues. I would prefer a new intank pump, but I will check then make my decision.

TbirdMedic
1995 SUPERCOUPE 5-SPEED
'95 LX with a few mods
tbirdmedic is offline  
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sCrEaMiN BiRd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 974
Where should i get the chip from to retard the timing? Is going to Lonnie for help a good idea? Thanks
sCrEaMiN BiRd is offline  
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
FordFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: sell out lane
Posts: 3,192
yes, lonnie would be my first choice.
FordFanatic is offline  
post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
VicRattlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: RT66 Raceway Channahon IL
Posts: 6,213
first of all why would y ou have the exhaust made as 1 piece? cut it about the tail shaft of the trans and use a good band clamp on it and then you have no problems. second dropping the exhaust is just part of modding the car you have to do it.

ive got an aeromotive fpr and the 255hp/lph fuel pump and 30# injectors on my kit. also a fuel pressure safety switch, autometer fuel press gauge, wot activation switch(for now) getting a rpm activation switch to get rid of the wot switch.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

VicRattlehead is offline  
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 01:49 PM
6th Gear Poster
 
Warlockguitarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Owensboro Kentucky
Age: 32
Posts: 513
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Warlockguitarman Send a message via Yahoo to Warlockguitarman
i have a question about injector size, i am stil using my stock 19's and the guy that tuned it said that they are near their limit on my all motor setup of aproxamatly 350 crank horse power, now if i were to go with 75 or 100 shot should i go to 24's or 30's. i am also planing on buying one of those typhon intake's or which ever one is proven best in about 6 months since i know that they are all still in experimenting mode. and i do have a supercoupe performace adjustable fuel pressure regulator and 255 fuel pump and a sct flip chip that i want to have seperate tunes for street/strip NA performance, gas economy tune, 50/75 shot of nitrous, and a tune for 100 shot. so back to the main question... 24's or 30's???

96 pearl white 4.6 tbird: rebuilt npi block with pi heads, pi intake, crower stage 2 cams, shm high lift springs, L-MAF, 3.73's, marauder converter, jmod, kooks headers, xpipe, no cats, 2.5 in exhaust, no mufflers, a dyno tune, lots of interior work, 1 in drop with lots of new bushings, 18 in rims. 279 hp 319 tq. curently running 13.9 at 101 mph with a 2.1 60 time in 100 degree weather while having some nasty spark knock. Soon to have higher stall, aftermarket intake manifold, weight reduction, and hopefully a nice shot of the giggle gas.
Warlockguitarman is offline  
post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sCrEaMiN BiRd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRattlehead
first of all why would y ou have the exhaust made as 1 piece? cut it about the tail shaft of the trans and use a good band clamp on it and then you have no problems. second dropping the exhaust is just part of modding the car you have to do it.

ive got an aeromotive fpr and the 255hp/lph fuel pump and 30# injectors on my kit. also a fuel pressure safety switch, autometer fuel press gauge, wot activation switch(for now) getting a rpm activation switch to get rid of the wot switch.
Yeh i understand, i just wanted to try to find the easiest way to upgrade the fuel system that's all. I just didn't want to have to do things that were unneccessary. But thanks alot for the help and for putting me in the rigth direction.
sCrEaMiN BiRd is offline  
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 05:21 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 31
The one thing that nobody had said is that anytime you use a power adder such as nitrous, you risk hurting the motor. I'm talking about a stock or almost stock motor with usually high milage. I used the Zex 82015 kit with the 75HP setting. Zex recommends an upgraded fuel pump. I used the 255 l/hr pump with a BBK AFP Regulator set at 3 Lb. above stock. I did, however, use a nitrous tune with 2 degrees retarded timing for "insurance" and the ablility to run 100 HP jets (which is what zex recommends for the 100 HP jet.). My tune came from the X-Cal 2 tuned by Darrin! I never had a problem with running a 75HP shot on a motor with 90,000 + miles on it. Some motors live forever, but some don't!
SnoPro881 is offline  
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-22-2006, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sCrEaMiN BiRd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoPro881
The one thing that nobody had said is that anytime you use a power adder such as nitrous, you risk hurting the motor. I'm talking about a stock or almost stock motor with usually high milage. I used the Zex 82015 kit with the 75HP setting. Zex recommends an upgraded fuel pump. I used the 255 l/hr pump with a BBK AFP Regulator set at 3 Lb. above stock. I did, however, use a nitrous tune with 2 degrees retarded timing for "insurance" and the ablility to run 100 HP jets (which is what zex recommends for the 100 HP jet.). My tune came from the X-Cal 2 tuned by Darrin! I never had a problem with running a 75HP shot on a motor with 90,000 + miles on it. Some motors live forever, but some don't!

True, i understand that i am cutting life off of the motor. I just want to prolong the engine life as much as possible that's all. When you installed the fuel pump on your car was it a direct fit or no? Thanks !
sCrEaMiN BiRd is offline  
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 08:48 AM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator
 
1MTNCAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hedgesville, WV
Age: 61
Posts: 2,643
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoPro881
The one thing that nobody had said is that anytime you use a power adder such as nitrous, you risk hurting the motor. I'm talking about a stock or almost stock motor with usually high milage. I used the Zex 82015 kit with the 75HP setting. Zex recommends an upgraded fuel pump. I used the 255 l/hr pump with a BBK AFP Regulator set at 3 Lb. above stock. I did, however, use a nitrous tune with 2 degrees retarded timing for "insurance" and the ablility to run 100 HP jets (which is what zex recommends for the 100 HP jet.). My tune came from the X-Cal 2 tuned by Darrin! I never had a problem with running a 75HP shot on a motor with 90,000 + miles on it. Some motors live forever, but some don't!
I said before and I'll say again, You risk any engine with a power adder, irregardless of sytem be it Nitrous, Blower, or turbo. Especially with a stock motor but it is not limited to just stock. I've seen plenty of Built ones go BOOM!! too.

IF, you keep the sytem to a 75 shot or less, in good tune, the proper equipment and used appropriately, Most times you will have no difficulty. I ran my factory stock one for nealy 6 years on the ZEX dry kit, most times at 125 HP level. It had over 116K miles on it and was running fine when I pulled it out. The week before it had gone a group of 13.9's-14.0's on the motor. 12.8's-9's on the bottle.

Bottom line is you can hurt or blow anything up, even NA stock engines with no power adders. Make sure the stock engine is in good shape prior to considering a power adder.

Again, get the appropriate system, install it correctly, follow the instruction and do as they say, not as you choose to do. Get all the corresponding equipment to safely utilize the system and make it safe (i.e Fuel pump, regulator, etc).

If you do that, then most of the parts you break will be the ones that need replacing anyway due to power. Transmissions, Halfshafts, Trac locs, etc.

Happy modding!!!

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
1MTNCAT is offline  
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
 
Mark M. TCCoA VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1997
Location: Batcave, Wakefield, MA
Posts: 2,073
Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
Mark M. TCCoA VP is offline  
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 09:04 AM
West Virginia Chapter Director /
MA Drag Race Team Coordinator
 
1MTNCAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hedgesville, WV
Age: 61
Posts: 2,643
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M. TCCoA VP
Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

Well all I can say is, facts are facts, IRREGARDLESS!!!!!

Steve
1996 Cougar XR7 Special Edition (Street & Strip)
"There's a bad, built NA 4.6L COMING Spring-Summer 2018"

Elite member of the Halfshaft snapping, Auburn eating, Tranny crunching, Piston Melting, Tire lifting, 500+ lb ft Torque Club.

Cougar ET-Stock 4.6 shortblock/Stock PI headswap Bullitt NA 12.94 @ 105+
Nitrous 11.75 @ 114 MPH

2008 Ford Powerstroke 6.4 TT F250 4X4 Supercrew: 12.82 @ 105 MPH

"IN MEMORY OF MY FRIENDS JOEL BENDER 1979-2006", JOHNNY LANGTON 1975-2011, and MICHAEL VIVERETTE 1953-2013"
1MTNCAT is offline  
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sCrEaMiN BiRd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MTNCAT
I said before and I'll say again, You risk any engine with a power adder, irregardless of sytem be it Nitrous, Blower, or turbo. Especially with a stock motor but it is not limited to just stock. I've seen plenty of Built ones go BOOM!! too.

IF, you keep the sytem to a 75 shot or less, in good tune, the proper equipment and used appropriately, Most times you will have no difficulty. I ran my factory stock one for nealy 6 years on the ZEX dry kit, most times at 125 HP level. It had over 116K miles on it and was running fine when I pulled it out. The week before it had gone a group of 13.9's-14.0's on the motor. 12.8's-9's on the bottle.

Bottom line is you can hurt or blow anything up, even NA stock engines with no power adders. Make sure the stock engine is in good shape prior to considering a power adder.

Again, get the appropriate system, install it correctly, follow the instruction and do as they say, not as you choose to do. Get all the corresponding equipment to safely utilize the system and make it safe (i.e Fuel pump, regulator, etc).

If you do that, then most of the parts you break will be the ones that need replacing anyway due to power. Transmissions, Halfshafts, Trac locs, etc.

Happy modding!!!
Yes i plan to run the nitrous sparingly. I floor my car rarely as it is now so on the bottle i'll probbaly be even more cautious about it. Anyways is it really VERY important to upgrade the fuel pump and regulator when i'm only going to run the 55 shot from Zex (with Xcal tune of course). As i have looked and researched about replacing fuel pumps in our cars and it seems like theres alot of little parts that i could bust off and break... So if possible i want to avoid messing with the fuel tank as much as possible... again this is IF possible. Also about* how much do you think your regular ol' shop would charge to install a pump and regulator? Thanks again!
sCrEaMiN BiRd is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome