SC for road race/twisties? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
CEO, WT Club

Send a message via AIM to GODSPEED Send a message via MSN to GODSPEED
SC for road race/twisties?

Better Roadrace Application

centerfugal (vortech) vs twin screw (whipple)

DOHC motor, probly manual 6 speed trans.

Discuss.

-Joel

Previous MN12s:
'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8 - Performance White
Bought 01/12/08 w/ 33,000 original mi. Big plans, little execution. Sold as a fallen victim to life's happenings.
Leaky shifter @ 137,441; what a good ride. Gone to the crusher, but not forgotten... moth and rust doth corrupt.

'13 Mustang GT Premium 5.0L V8, Auto, Brembo, Black - Daily Dark Horse
'11 Edge SEL AWD 3.5L V6, Loaded, Black - For the Misses
'98 F-150 XLT RegCab 8'Bed, 4.6L V8 4x4 ORP Oxford White - Work Truck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Wwhipple all the way. The vortech won't help you much out of the corners.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

The biggest thing you need with a supercharged road racer is an intercooling system with gargantuan capacity. Assuming you are interested in making more than one or two laps... With either type of supercharger, heat soak is your enemy.

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.
Then it's freaking hilarious.

Adventures in ChumpCar Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 08:22 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Wwhipple all the way. The vortech won't help you much out of the corners.
Ohhh, I don't know. If it's purely for a road racing application, then he's never really going to be dipping below 3,000RPM or so anyway. Pullied right, that's right about where an S-Trim (or equivalent) is going to start coming on pretty hard.

...and it's a much cheaper set up than any of the PD blowers on the market.

~Brian~

*1990 Mustang Coupe, 5.4L*
Black on Black & Stroked 'n' Polked!!!

Last edited by Mod Motor Cat; 05-13-2007 at 01:00 AM.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
CEO, WT Club

There will be a very large intercooling system. Period. Just looking for the supercharger options.

I plan on spending a lot of money on this car in the long run. Right now I am deciding on the end project, so I can start small in that direction now.

-Joel

Previous MN12s:
Bought 01/12/08 w/ 33,000 original mi. Big plans, little execution. Sold as a fallen victim to life's happenings.
Leaky shifter @ 137,441; what a good ride. Gone to the crusher, but not forgotten... moth and rust doth corrupt.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I agree with the intercooler comment. However he did say he is already using a 4.6L DOHC, not PI-- completely different.

I'd agree that it's time for a whipple or other roots-type blower, but my solution to the IC problem would be an oversized FMIC, with a puller fan behind it, a set of water sprayers mounted in front (rigged to a switch- misters like you would use for hydroponic gardening) if I were going to use a supercharged MN12 for something like Mulholland Highway, Stunt Road, Glendora Mountain Rd., Rim of the World or the Red Road.

Given that this car is going to be subjected to VERY high levels of lateral load, you will want to consider 275+ series tyres, and brace both the front and rear shock towers. This will also call for larger sway bars, though personally I feel that the SC sways are more adequate than the addco bars, having used both in an LX. I assume you also have braking under control, with oversized f/r disc brakes and some kind of means of preventing brake fade, since you do intend this car to be for the twisties. That said, you will also need the aluminum MK VIII suspension bits, and a cobra 8.8, due to the aluminum housing and carbon fiber clutches to handle the power you'll be delivering... so that lightens the car overall in the rear, and thus you need to move forward and lighten the car's nose. Do this either by holesawing the front bumper bar (the big heavy metal bit beneath all the plastic and foam) or relocating the battery to the trunk-- consider lighter weight front suspension components as well... so far as gearing is concerned I would go no higher than 3.73, with a recommendation for 3.27 or 3.55. Given that many of southern CA's faster canyons/mountains can get very fast at times, I would not want to go any higher than 4th gear since you will be using a 6-spd (if I read right).

tyres are CRITICAL!! As I said before, go as wide as you can with the highest traction rating. AA is preferred, some kind of ultra-high performance tyre. Don't cheap out! If necessary, add flaring to the fenders to accomodate 300+ series f/r tires. This will increase steering effort immensely, so at this point I would strongly reccomend installing a LARGER power steering cooler, as well as a supplementary oil cooler.

I would also run a relatively low amount of boost (around 13psi) so that it builds and maxes out quickly (a-la-supercoupe, delivering a TON of torque at 2000rpm) to deliver the low end torque that the DOHC motors characteristically lack.

That's how I'd do it, were I to use that combo.

Damnit, now you've got me fantasizing!

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge

Last edited by The_Ghost; 05-13-2007 at 12:04 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 02:24 AM
Baby Huey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
The biggest thing you need with a supercharged road racer is an intercooling system with gargantuan capacity. Assuming you are interested in making more than one or two laps... With either type of supercharger, heat soak is your enemy.
Everyone please listen to Tobey.

He is a former road racer and knows what the hell he is talking about!

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
CEO, WT Club

OK, all good advice, but please lets stay on subject. All I am wanting to do is figure out which SC... centerfugal or twin screw.

Ghost... wow. Stay on subject please.

-Joel

Previous MN12s:

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Birdless

Send a message via AIM to Grasshopper Send a message via Yahoo to Grasshopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED View Post
OK, all good advice, but please lets stay on subject. All I am wanting to do is figure out which SC... centerfugal or twin screw.

Ghost... wow. Stay on subject please.

-Joel
I'll take care of it if it gets out of hand. Let's let people post. Ghost posted some good stuff even though it wasn't in line with your original post. I learned something. If it gets wild, I'll kill it or pare it down. Dat's me job...

A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:17 PM
PostWhore

BTW Ghost....unless you just migrated here from England, it's spelled "T-I-R-E-S"

~Brian~

*1990 Mustang Coupe, 5.4L*
Black on Black & Stroked 'n' Polked!!!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 01:50 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Slowpoke
Shox or shocks?

What type of SC setup will also depend on what type of racing you tend to do?..Size of track?...

In my opinion twin screws are nice compramise as they make great mid and high end power as compared to centrifigals making nice top end and twin helix roots making nice low to mid end power..

Heat soak is inevitable

Going for broke!!!!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Poster

I would advise you to consider getting a set of "C" style heads which will give you more choices for blower setup, and also offer carbed versions as well.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 04:10 PM
PostWhore

Joel, MSN me later. We'll talk about your "Roadrace" car.