E85 and Boost - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

E85 and Boost

I have been trying to decide on which way to go with my Bird. I am running a 393 with a Vortech YSi at 15 psi now. It does great on 93 octane by pulling a lot of timing as the boost goes up. The YSi is extremely good at making boost with out high heat (95 % of the NMRA Renegade cars run it because there rules do not allow any type of cooler, and the YSi does the best with out adding excessive heat). I want to up the boost, and be able to drive it on the street in the Summer, so needed to add meth, or a big cooler, or both, or look at E85 closely.

My Bird is a weekend play car, and we have several E85 stations in Tn, so I am going with E85. Here is some information I have put together.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/e85.htm

Read it all, and watch the video with Dale Banks and Jay Lenno at the bottom.

If I was fuel injected, I would get a flip chip to be able to use either. Since I am carbed, I am completely converting to E85.

-----1993 Bird 5.0------
393 stroker, Vortech YSi, on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 4,000+ RPM stall converter
Detroit Locker with 3.55 gears.
17x9 Cobra Rs with 255/45/17 BFG KWDS
275/50/17 M&H DR on the rear

Click for Full Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
Interesting... What size carb are you going to run? With your displacement and blower pushing big numbers with E85 I would guess at around a 1000+ CFM carb with larger jets to compensate for the fuel. In one of the articles you provided it seems anything over about 12lbs of boost causes less and less hp gains with every lb up and this is understandable. What is your target boost? Love the carb tech

I personally would try to max out at about 1 Bar and run everything cool. If you plan on shifting at above 6500rpms you are going to need an even larger carb. At a one bar boost at 6500 rpms you are pushing big air with that stroker.

PS: What is your planned shift point?

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru

Last edited by Mark M. TCCoA VP; 01-01-2008 at 09:30 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Hello Mark.. I have 3 SC head pulleys, so I can run it at 15, 20, and about 25. After getting a little use to the car at 15, I do not see me going above that with out full slicks, at the strip. The car is just too hard to keep straight on the street even with drag radials with 15 psi of boost. I have to hold on tight, and be ready even at 60 mph if I hit it. Even with the Detroit Locker, if one tire hits a little dust at highway speeds, and I am into it, it will try to come around.

The carb is custom built with a 4150 750 style body, that was built to perform well on the street, and kick butt at the track. It flows well above 750.

I really dought I will run it over 20 psi. I have had every part of the rear built special, but I question it holding up with the slicks I would need even at that level. At my age, I should look into getting Depends to sponsor it....

-----1993 Bird 5.0------

Click for Full Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well, I drained the gas out of the car yesterday, poured in 4 gals of E85, and hit the pump to leak test and check the float level. No leak, and float level is close enough for now. This morning I fired it up, and drove it to the local Shell that sells E85, and filled it and a extra 5 gal container. I have not touched the carb since converting it, and reinstalling, and the car fired right up, and drove fine. I noticed on the wide band the right bank is a little leaner than the left, but fine for now.

I pulled into the station, and they have the E85 and the diesel on a seperate ile, so I pulled up and filled the cell and 5 gal container. Before I could leave, 5 guys had walked up and asked me about the E85. 4 of them were local racers,

I have the SC disconnected for now, and running on only the primaries till I am sure they are jetted correctly, and the power valve circuit is close, then will connect the rears and get them in the ball park, then check it with boost. My wife says the garage does not stink like gas now, and smells more like a bar. Has a slight margareta sent.

I located a local source for E98, and will get some of that to bring my Winter blend of E85 up to Summer specs, then do the final settings.

I added a E85 Carb section:
http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/carbtech.htm

-----1993 Bird 5.0------

Click for Full Project
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
Very nice article....Waiting for next update...

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Boost Happy

Send a message via AIM to Jurgen
I dont really like useing E85 from what i have heard its not good for the rubber seals and lines i have seen alot of misfire codes and running lean on late model cars after changeing the fuel and adding good fuel the cars were running fine i cant say it was E85 it could have been bad fuel but customers will never tell you expecialy when the cars are under warranty .
http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html This is one of the kits I use and it works great at 20-30% methanol i see my temps going from 180-190* to 110* or so RobP and a couple of other people i know run this kit and it works great.

Jurgen

1994 Ford Thunderbird
2002 Corvette Z06
Yeah I got a few mods.And Some More
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/239875
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 06:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I dont really like useing E85 from what i have heard its not good for the rubber seals and lines i have seen alot of misfire codes and running lean on late model cars after changeing the fuel and adding good fuel the cars were running fine i cant say it was E85 it could have been bad fuel but customers will never tell you expecialy when the cars are under warranty .
http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.c...icle_info.html This is one of the kits I use and it works great at 20-30% methanol i see my temps going from 180-190* to 110* or so RobP and a couple of other people i know run this kit and it works great.

Jurgen
alcohol in general doesn't go well with rubber. stainless is the way to go. as far as modern car's running it and having trouble, odd's are that is due to them trying to make the car capable of running on two differant fuel types that have at least a 12 point differance in octane rating. e85 varies from 105 to 110. so basically you have a car that runs alright on both but its not possible to have it run great on either without devoting yourself to one or the other
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Boost Happy

Send a message via AIM to Jurgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
alcohol in general doesn't go well with rubber. stainless is the way to go. as far as modern car's running it and having trouble, odd's are that is due to them trying to make the car capable of running on two differant fuel types that have at least a 12 point differance in octane rating. e85 varies from 105 to 110. so basically you have a car that runs alright on both but its not possible to have it run great on either without devoting yourself to one or the other
so how is alcohol affecting any rubber parts if your spraying on the discharge side or before the blower ? I think thats safe and cheap .

Jurgen

1994 Ford Thunderbird
2002 Corvette Z06
Yeah I got a few mods.And Some More
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/239875
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
gotcha, missed that part. the alcohol just tends to eat through any rubber or plastic components
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Slowpoke
Alcohol also doesnt like aluminum either but we arent talking pure methanol we are talking Ethanol.
http://www.sae.org/servlets/productD...D=2005-01-3708

Going for broke!!!!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Tx_Cat Send a message via MSN to Tx_Cat Send a message via Yahoo to Tx_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M. TCCoA VP View Post
Very nice article....Waiting for next update...

very nice... To bad there aren't any pumps here locally.. Only the military base (Fort Bliss) has one pump...

PhotobucketNitrous and boost go together like peanut butter and jellyPhotobucket

Nuttin make you feel more like a man in a Thunder Cougar Falcon Bird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in