tork tech vs kenne bell - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

tork tech vs kenne bell

http://shop.torktech.com/intercooled...rmoreinfo.aspx

vs

http://kennebell.net/superchargers/f...2v/gt96-04.htm

if i were to get a thunderbird with a PI swap done, or do the swap to the one i have, which blower kit do you guys think would be a better choice as far as reliability, power gains, difficulty to install etc....

any opinions/ideas welcome

thanks

Matt W.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Like Titles Matter

I like the idea of the Tork Tech manifold that uses the stock Cobra blower. This gets you started on the cheap, yet if you need more later you can always put on a KB or Whipple for a Cobra.

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Scott Suzanne
I have the Tork Tech installed and I know of one other guy that has it also. I love this kit! I receive compliments whenever I show it off, the tuner guy who helped out with the computer tune was really impressed with the TT. I was looking at the KB kit, but heard way too many horror stories, sever lack of customer service (we don't have a kit for a t-bird...etc.).
There is some unique engineering that needs to be done to install the TT, but if I can do, just about anybody can. The TT kit is cheaper. As for power gains, I am pushing about as far as I feel safe on a stock PI bottom end. 96BlownBird is building a stout motor to slap the TT on top of and should get some awesome numbers. He also did a great write up about his install which would prove helpful to anyone thinking about this install.

97 Mercury Cougar "Project Eliminator" 385 RWHP 400 RWTQ
2000 GT PI 4.6 Liter with Coil-on Plug Mod, Tork Tech Inc. M112 Supercharger
BC-Automotive 4R70W and Torque Converter by Darrin, 3.73:1 rear gear, Aluminum Driveshaft,
Kooks 3/4 Length Headers, Custom Mandrel-Bent Exhaust, Vogtland 3/4" Lowering Springs,
18x9.5 GT500 Wheels, 255-45-18 front 285-40-18 rear by Custom Wheel Shop.
Under Construction

2010 Mustang GT
Daily Driver / Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 10:54 PM
On Probation

I would stay away from kb because of there lack of customer service. I was able to install it on my bird and it took me a while to get it done but me and scott have done most of the hard work figuring out how to install it in a Thunderbird. Mine was a little more out there because I have mine set on kill. I put down 404 hp and 430 tq to the tires. With any install like this there is some fabrication. I am building a fully forged motor with tfs heads and bullet cams. I am planing on making around 475 rwhp when done. I might add a Eaton TVS blower later. I would like to be close to 550 rwhp one day.

I did not want to do this but I will have to add some after market wheels and substantially wider tires because my car will total annihilate the tires with anything more than 1/4 throttle in first gear. I will break the tires loose rolling almost 50 mph.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

TT it is then...now i gotta find a PI motor to swap or one thats already got the swap.

Matt W.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 PM
PostWhore

When comparing the TT and the Magnuson 112 vs the KB and 2.1L Twin Screw, everything I've seen shows them knocking done very even horsepower figures (with a slight advantage going to the TT).

Remember, the Magnuson 112 isn't the same old "Heaton" Kenne Bell oh so flagrantly bashes in their publication. It’s a far superior blower compared to its predecessor. And Eaton’s have proven stone reliable over the years. I personally know guys with Thunderbird SC’s that have knocked down 200K without ever changing their blower oil. The Twin screw design is a decent unit as well, but I’ll often hear of random seal failures and unexplained lock ups. Take that with a grain of salt though, since a lot of these are regurgitated second hand remarks taken from internet sources.

The Tork Tech kit is about $500 cheaper and a far better designed kit IMO. Standard 42lb/injectors, standard 90mm throttle body, standard high flow intake tube, standard large oval throttle body, standard 8-rib drive belt, super sturdy one piece front bracket, standard fuel pump upgrade.....

.....things that are all options, or not even offered with the Kenne Bell. I broke down the cost comparison once between the two kits and figured what it would cost to duplicate the parts list on the Kenne Bell, to match that of the Tork Tech and it added something in the line of an additional $2,000 to the price.

Finally, Kenne Bell has proven hit and miss services. Some guys will state they’ve had no issue getting a hold of them, others have said they were the worst to deal with ever. My personal experience.....they couldn’t get off the phone with me fast enough after finding out I was trying to install one of their kits on a non Mustang.

Their slimy/shady sales propaganda also rubs me the wrong way as well. Anyone who has to capitalize (and even exaggerate in most cases) on their competitors low points in order to “fluff” their high points makes me instantly leery about what they’re actually offering. I’ve never once seen any Kenne Bell equipped car put out the standard horsepower numbers they claim, so keep that in mind.

I think its pretty clear which kit I'm recommending.

~Brian~

*1990 Mustang Coupe, 5.4L*
Black on Black & Stroked 'n' Polked!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in