Supercharing DOHC 4.6 project ... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Supercharing DOHC 4.6 project ...

.. working on a project with spare parts, I have a spare DOHC 4.6 engine, spare intake manifold, fuel rail, etc .. and 4 spare M90 superchargers, so I thought it might be fun to throw something together. I was mocking this up to be very similar to the SVE Thunderbird with the M90, for my SVE Tbird clone ( currently has Cobra intake manifold ). I had to cut a notch in the SC snout to clear the alternator, I used an alternator with the L bracket for the battery post so I can re-locate it. Mark 8 fuel rail, the crossover had to be removed because it went straight into the SC so it would need a new nipple welded on to route it around the front of the supercharger. I was working on the pulleys with some spare pulleys from Timing belt jobs I did not long ago, one has a bracket that bolts to the alternator and the other is off a stud for the timing cover - this would route the belt between the alternator / coolant crossover.

I would need to fabricate a custom intake manifold - I have a SC inlet plenum on it currently, but it would need a new one fabricated for the inverted M90 .. I have a spare intake manifold to use as a mockup / I was thinking about possibly fitting a small liquid intercooler inside the manifold - and the fuel injectors go into the stock IMRC plates .. but im no sure exactly how it should be worked .. it doesnt need to make maximum HP, I was considering leaving the IMRC plates and running them to intake manifold vacuum so they would open up as soon as the engine goes from idle to part throttle instead of RPM based off the PCM - I also have a spare 1996 Mark PCM and wiring harness so I could possibly get a SCT Tuner to dial it in. Or just use the IMRC plates, remove the butterfly valves and port them into a custom intake manifold - it would be welded all out of aluminum sheet using stock parts where possible, like the SC bypass valve / vacuum actuator integrated into the manifold itself.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions ??

Last edited by dDUBb; 11-22-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Here's a thought, depending how much room you have if you were to run an early markViii intake manifold with the throttle body at the back, run the sc in the normal orientation with the blower outlet facing up, then run an air to air intercooler with the return going through a gutted markViii throttle body, and keeping an sc style inlet and bypass valve.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
When looking at Alex Baynard's setup it looks like the lower intake is based on a modified 96-98 Cobra intake judging by the casting and shape. The runners were likely severely shortened or removed to clear the aluminum adapter plate...

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Here's a thought, depending how much room you have if you were to run an early markViii intake manifold with the throttle body at the back, run the sc in the normal orientation with the blower outlet facing up, then run an air to air intercooler with the return going through a gutted markViii throttle body, and keeping an sc style inlet and bypass valve.

I had thought about this somewhat - with the intake in the very back .. but the stock Mark 8 manifold might require so much work it would defeat the purpose of using it. Possibly if I cut off the runners and used the flanges to bolt to the IMRC's / use it as a template, I need enough space for the intake runners being sandwiched all in there together. IC pipes would be nice if they could possibly fit under the 3" cowl hood currently on the car. Ill need to take some measurements to see exactly what im working. Sticking the M90 in the valley between the heads is not a possibility either, not much room in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
When looking at Alex Baynard's setup it looks like the lower intake is based on a modified 96-98 Cobra intake judging by the casting and shape. The runners were likely severely shortened or removed to clear the aluminum adapter plate...

This is on my current setup, Cobra intake with the plenum top removed, the runners would definately need to be removed completely.

The setup on Alex's car is sort of what I was going for, thanks for the picture .. flate plate with the M90 directly inverted into the intake - it looks like the SC belt goes to the passenger side on Alex's setup .. the real SVE has it on the drivers side, no real difference, just a placement of pulleys. Looks like theyre both using cobra rails also ( I currently have 97/98 Mark rails )

I was also wondering about the stock 24# injectors maxing out, possibly step up to 42's ??

The SC bypass off the plenum I was thinking about cutting off and welding into the intake manifold looks sort of small also, maybe something a little bigger like a throttle body off an early 3.8 Tbird ? They are laughibly small but definately bigger than this SC bypass valve.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 10:25 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
Thoughts...

With a positive displacement blower, would runners/IMRCs even be necessary? Early (96-98 Cobra) KB blowers had a simple lower manifold with no runners and I believe no IMRCs.

24# injectors will need to be replaced with at least 39# injectors.

There has been at least a couple attempts to manufacture a B head lower intake to accept Eaton blowers but I've not known any to make it to fruition. I can't see where there's any room for an intercooler.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller View Post
Thoughts...

With a positive displacement blower, would runners/IMRCs even be necessary? Early (96-98 Cobra) KB blowers had a simple lower manifold with no runners and I believe no IMRCs.

24# injectors will need to be replaced with at least 39# injectors.

There has been at least a couple attempts to manufacture a B head lower intake to accept Eaton blowers but I've not known any to make it to fruition. I can't see where there's any room for an intercooler.
The reason i would use the IMRC's is to bolt onto the heads as adapters - also because the Fuel injectors go directly into the IMRC plates .. possibly weld them into the intake itself / grind them down so I have more intake area depending on the height of the manifold itself or remove the butterfly valves completely. Currently the car has the 1998 composite IMRC's so using those is out of the question - but I have two sets of Aluminum ones that can be welded, a pair of 93-95 vacuum actuated ones, and a set from a 1996 Mark to use for the project. IDK why I would keep the butterfly valves, Im just thinking about the RPM at which the blower starts to produce boost and the low end torque curve of the DOHC - more for everyday stop and go driveability than a track based car. Then again, the car currently has a 3800 stall Dirtydog converter and I have a 3.73 differential I havent installed yet, but I was also considering swapping to a T56 instead of using the automatic transmission.

The Intercooler would need to be very narrow, but I havent had much luck finding something to work inside of the manifold dimensions I am thinking about - I have right under 8 inches of width to work with, but I figure any kind of heat exchanger inside there just to absorb the outlet heat and take it away from the intake would be better than nothing at all, from what Ive read the M90 outlet is up to 220 degrees which is a lot of hot air pushing into the engine.

Would be nice to just pick up a set of C heads and the M112 kit, but then im looking at spending a lot more $$ than I would be just fabricating stuff out of parts I already have sitting around.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Let me know if you come up with an Eaton to B-head intake I would be interested if the price is right. M112 or M90. Hell I still wish I could afford to have you make me that 96/97 fog light bumper. That thing is sexy.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Eh regarding the 03/04 Eaton blower setup, the blower drives are priced so high to the moon, you may as well buy the whole motor. Everyone wants $800+ for the lower manifold, $500-800 for the intercooler, $300 for the timing cover, $200 for the dual balancer, $200 for the pulley bracket, $300 for the alternator and related brackets, $100 for the bracket that goes in place of the alternator's old spot, ect. ect. That's a minimum of $2500 without the blower lol

Plus this potential setup, while not as potent as the M112, will certainly be cooler.

-Matt
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
Let me know if you come up with an Eaton to B-head intake I would be interested if the price is right. M112 or M90. Hell I still wish I could afford to have you make me that 96/97 fog light bumper. That thing is sexy.
... perhaps if I had a spare 94/95 bumper and a spare 96/97 bumper cover and some more 2 part epoxy here .. I might be able to have one made up in my spare time on the side. I think if I made a fiberglass mold of the current setup and used that to build the second it would cut a lot of time off the process ( measuring, and sculpting )

I wont be doing any of the welding for this manifold - Ill leave that task up to my cousin with all of the fab tools. Im mostly working on the pre-fab / mockup work which isnt nearly as much work as the actual construction part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in