Toluene as an octane booster? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Question Toluene as an octane booster?

Anyone use it or Xyelene to make their own octane booster? I know there is a short article by J.W. in the tech section, and this article is all over the net. It seem like a perfect option to help prevent detonation on those nights I might be cruising around and getting into the boost alot. I figure $15 is well worth the added detonation protection.
Another question: I've heard you have to add lubricant when adding it? What do you use and how much? I've read everything from 2 cycle lube to a cap full of trans fluid:dontknow:

'97 T-bird LX - 4.6L
The weekend car I never drive

'06 Mustang GT
The Daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well, I got this reply from the man and I am posting it in case any of you want to try this:

" Yeah, I got some fuel formulas that are killer.....

Basically, yes Tolulene is about 110 Octane and zxylene is like 120 octane. I typically would mix 1 gallon of this to about a half pint of acetone. You can use straight tolulene but the a/f ratio on the car needs to be changed to compensate since the chemically correct A/F ratio is no longer 14.64:1. By adding some acetone, it helps keep the stoich around 15:1.....

j "
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 06:37 AM
6th Gear Poster

I did that once, and never again. I used Xylol to bring up some 93 octane and after I ran through the tank, I pulled the injectors and the tips were all black (had them out about a month earlier and they were fine). I cleaned them, replaced my fuel filter and went back to the 100 octane I normally run. It looked like it was deterioating the rubber fuel components, including the injector o-rings.

I tried an 11-1 mix, maybe it was too much. Plus, it smelled like ***. The car did seem to run ok though...I was more worried about the fuel delivery system.

- Blown306 "Putting the THUNDER back in the BIRD"
Past President, Webmaster - Chicagoland Thunderbirds
'93 LX Kenne Bell 306
'01 Mustang GT Convertible
'02 Excursion Limited Ultimate Diesel
'03 Harley V-Rod - Two Tone Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I had read about something similar on another board, but others told the guy he was nuts. He specifically mentioned the hardening of the injector o-rings. I'm glad you responded. It'll make me research this further before I dump some in the tank.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:16 AM
6th Gear Poster

No doubt JW knows what he's talking about...that's why I tried it. But I did want to post my experience with it. Like I said, I could have been trying to go too high with it. It might be ok with only trying to raise the octane rateing by 2 or 3. But I think I went from 93 to 99 or something like that.

- Blown306 "Putting the THUNDER back in the BIRD"
Past President, Webmaster - Chicagoland Thunderbirds
'93 LX Kenne Bell 306
'01 Mustang GT Convertible
'02 Excursion Limited Ultimate Diesel
'03 Harley V-Rod - Two Tone Anniversary
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well I can still get 94 around here, so I figure something like a 2-3pt bump would be perfect for some Friday night action.
10 gallons of 94 octane with 1.5 gallons of the Toluene/acetone mix would yeild about 96-96.5 octane (depending if you are using J.W's 110 rating or the article's 114.) Thats probably what I would try to run.
If or when I do try it, I'll definately update this thread with my opinion. I think it'll be pretty funny to see people's faces when I pull up to the gas station and start pouring a can of Sherwin Williams chemicals into the tank, lol.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 10:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
I will be running Xylene this season as an additive.

My father has a painting business, and he has a discounted price on gallons of the stuff.

As you may know they are used in the painting industry.

Anyway, there is a good thread about the subject on dsmtalk.com. I can't find it now, but maybe a search over there will come up with something.

If you mix toluene or xylene with regular unleaded gasoline, then you will have problems with it eating rubber parts inside the fuel system, and other problems.

This problem is eliminated by using an additive such as "Marvel's Mystery Oil". This adds the lubrication properties to the toluene/xylene and makes it friendly with the fuel system.

JH
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by JustinH
......If you mix toluene or xylene with regular unleaded gasoline, then you will have problems with it eating rubber parts inside the fuel system, and other problems.

This problem is eliminated by using an additive such as "Marvel's Mystery Oil". This adds the lubrication properties to the toluene/xylene and makes it friendly with the fuel system.

JH
I was asking about the lubrication over on the mod-depot forums since JW posts over there. I have the same question posted there: Click here. So how much additive do you use per gallon?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in