Considering a 4.6 supercharger... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Question Considering a 4.6 supercharger...

I already have an '02 Explorer motor that I am planning to install next week, with locking 3.73 gears and true dual exhaust. (Into my '95 bird) The goal was to beat my brother's '01 Mustang Cobra in the quarter mile. He would still be able to walk all over me top end, but I figure it's okay. There is no shame in being beat by a Ford.
So up drives my other brother in his newly acquired 2000 Z-28. Now it's personal. I don't want to have the slowest car of the three, so I am considering a supercharger. I like the one in the FRPP catalog. (The one that comes with the supercharger under the intake.) It lists for around $2600 plus another $1025 for the installation kit.
A few questions:

1. Is the stock '02 Explorer (aluminum) engine a good motor to supercharge? If not, what would I need to do to it?

2. Does anyone know what the installation kit includes? Since there is no kit for MN12, what parts would I have to make/mod?

3. What are the pros/cons with this supercharger for my application? What are the pros/cons with other superchargers for my application.

Any insight that anyone can provide will be very much appreciated.

Another thought -
How much power could I get out of aftermarket cams instead of a supercharger? I know it wouldn't be as powerful, but it might be more cost effective dollar for dollar.

Last edited by tinman_72; 05-10-2004 at 10:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:24 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

I have that exact setup (02 explorer motor SVO blower 1994 Tbird). By the way call Dan at Joe Cooper and I believe you will be pleasantly surprised at what those numbers become. Now on to your question the install kit comes with all the bracketry to move your alternator, vacuum hoses, hiflow fuel pump, 30# injectors and a new EEC to run it all. The EEC suplied will not work on your 94 so have the SCT guys burn you a chip and I recomend installing a lightning ACT sensor in one of the intake runners. The install is very simple and took me a total of 8 hours. Now the bad news. You will need to trim out some hood bracing to clear the alt on a 94...no big deal but it needs to be done. It isn't intercooled so the amount of power you can make is limited by the heat it generates. Would I buy mine again....absolutely....but I also don't plan on taking on a Z28. It is a very fun daily driver but not well suited as a track whore. You can realistically expect to make ~300 at the RW with good cold air. As an example we went out to the track the other night and I made one run. It was humid and 80* I have 3.27 rear and I clicked off a 14.3. I had lots of wheel spin (60 ft 2.23) and the car was heatsoaked from my 100 mile commute. I am confident with good air and some more practice launching 13's aren't a problem but as I said that isn't where this setup shines.....driving 95 and doing a kickdown at 60 is where it is a lot of fun. First decide on what you want out of the car and tailor your plan after that. If you just want a fun daily driver but don't want mad power it's a hard kit to beat for the price from Dan.

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

timb -
Thanks for the input. I didn't think I would actually smoke the Z28, but I WOULD like to be able to give him a good challenge. What kind of work has to be done to the hood? I have read that this has to be done, but I have never seen pics. BTW, I suck at bodywork, but since it is under the hood, I might be able to do it with detailed instructions/tips.
Also, what is the lightning ACT sensor? Do you just drill a hole in the intake and tap it out?
If I decide to buy a S/C, should I get my Explorer motor running first, or should I go ahead and do the modifications while it is out of the car?
I am sorry to clog up the board with so many questions, but a supercharger is a big investment for me and I want to be sure I can do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2004, 01:51 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

I understand and don't worry about clogging the boards there are usually lots of other people with the same questions just afraid to ask. A SC was a big investment for me as well so I know where you are coming from. No body work needed under the hood just a simple pair of tinsnips is all it takes. There is a cross brace that runs across the center of the hood about where the gas struts attach you need to remove about 36" out of the center. I'll take a photo when I get home tonite for you. I drove my explorer motor for 10 months before bolting the blower on it so I wouldn't hesitate to get your new motor running first the install is as simple as removing the intake and bolting the new one in place. The hardest part is dropping the fuel tank to install the pump. A lightning ACT sensor is an air charge temperature sensor off a lightning pick up and the SCT guys will set up the tune so as the blower produces more heat they remove more timing to keep it safe. All you need to do is drill a hole and tap it 3/8 NPT. The explorer motor is fine for supercharging as long as you don't get greedy. Keep it to 6 lbs like it comes from the factory and get a good tune from SCT (mine was mailorder) and I'm sure you will get lots of good mileage out of it. Many people here will tell you though that boost is addictive and when they have pushed for more on stock pistons they have paid the price. That said I have 14,000 miles under my SC belt now.

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in