My exhaust - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

My exhaust

Ok so I was in the muffler shop the other day and had my mufflers taken off they were kinda rusty, I had 2 blue bottle put on instead. I ended it with some chrome tips looks nice and a bit more growly for a v6. I asked them to take out the cat and make the exhaust more free flowin, the guy said "oh now way man its supercharged and it will cause problems". Is he right or did he just not want to do the work. Also can I just throw on a smaller pulley without too much engine work being done. I'm a total newb with this car. I'm used to working on little import 4 cylinders.

V6 supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 03:27 PM
PostWhore

Most people will tell you to open up your exhaust before you add more boost via a smaller supercharger pulley. The reason is the increase in backpressure due to the restrictive factory exhaust and more boost seems to be the leading cause for blowing headgaskets on the SC motors.
Most people on a budget port the exhaust manifolds, and then get rid of the factory exhaust for bigger pipes and either high flow cats or no cats at all. So either the guy didn't want to do the work or he has no idea about performance.
I'm sure some other SC/XR7 guys whill chime in.
BTW - have you check out www.sccoa.com?

'97 T-bird LX - 4.6L
The weekend car I never drive

'06 Mustang GT
The Daily
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 08:04 PM
On Probation

He just did not want to do the work. I don't blame him. If the epa catches him removing a converter they will fine him 25000.00 or more. I would consier getting a ART exhaust system and have the exhaust shop hook it up to the cast iron manifolds. I have seen sc manifolds hoged out and it realy opens it up a lot. If I could get high flow out of the cast iorn manifolds on my car I would have done that. The sc manifolds are designed better for more flow than the v8 manifolds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanx guys, I have had many cats removed here in my province we do not have emissions testing here so I may still try to get it removed. Great info guys thanx
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 08:45 PM
TGJ
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada

You are right and you are wrong!

It is true we don't have emission testing here in SK. I don't recommend hacking cats though. Here is why, your car can be pulled over by the police or SK Hwy Traffic and have a road worthiness inspection done. If the car came with cats and if these inspections find cars without cats that are supposed to have them, the car can be impounded until there are cats put back on the car and/or a fine. However it is very rare that cars are impounded for cats being removed. For your benefit, I would rather gut the cats, then remove them.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton (1975 - 2011)

1996 Thunderbird 5.0L 2V-4R70W
12.64 @ 107 MPH -> DA 3315 Ft above Sea level
12.49 @ 109 -> DA 2967 Ft above Sea level
2005 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V-TR3650 - SOLD
13.39 @ 102 MPH -> DA 3617 Ft above Sea level
2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V-6R80 - Bolt-ons
12.32 @ 115 MPH -> DA 2980 Ft above Sea level
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Chief of Warranty Police

Send a message via AIM to LiquidCougar
I hear gutting the cats can lead to problems.. I was thinking about doing it, but if it's just a common mistake people make doing it, then it's no biggie. Can anyone elaborate on this?

1990 XR7 3.8L SC - Still waiting for time and money to come together at the same time..
1991 Ford Ranger
2003 Ford Escape

It's an MN-12 thing... you wouldn't understand.

Cowboys still do ride horses. Only today it's not just one at a time.
It's 454, each one alive, penned in 8 cylinders. Eating asphalt. Kicking dust.
Screaming out loud, "Don't you dare stop for water."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in