mustang residue - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
res
1st Gear Poster

mustang residue

Probably like many here, went through some mustangs on my way to these cars.

the situation:
I chanced upon a 93 T-bird 5.0 when my mustang died. I'm still surprised at how much better this car is, comfort, suspension, brakes, etc. Actually, everything but acceleration. Plus it's not "assumed guilty" by the local troopers, as mustangs tend to be. In short, I'm sold.

I own a fresh 347C.I. engine along with a P600B procharger set up, including the 3-core intercooler. I have most of the supporting hardware, (42lb injectors, fuel pumps, 80MM AFM, etc)

Also, I have a holley systemax intake that I realize won't clear the hood. Retaining the stock hood is important to me. How much is this interference?

The blower bracket is the updated stronger one for a 90 Fox. I used the blower on a stock 302 for 70K with zero problems. The new motor machined, and bagged up awaiting assembly.

While I'm not even sure I want to upset a very comfortable car, as of yet, the question is:
Has anyone converted a T-bird to the mustang-fox belt system? If so, what did you run into. 9(I know you ALWAYS run into something) And, if I go this route, I really want to avoid re-using the FMU. I hear the T-bird engine management is different than the mustang. Mine is a LX with 4 whl disc, ABS, and I want to retain an AOD trans. I've read the excellent exhaust system articles, already. I realize more cooling is a must.

Just wondering if anyone has done something similar to this.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 05:27 AM

Garage
The mods may want to move this to the 5.0 forum since it may get more attention there.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 04:55 PM
PostWhore

better brakes? ha ha ha...your kidding right? Same brakes, heavier car. Yuck!

Wohoo! Drop in that 347! As for the getting all of that under the stock hood, good luck. I know the fox engine brackets have been used before, but they are a lot different. We use an SN-95 front cover, along with similarly styled accessories and intake. If you go to fox style brackets, space between the engine and radiator will be substantially decreased. I am not even sure there is room for an electric fan in there with a stock mounted radiator, and especially if you go to an upgraded one. As for the intake, no way the Holley will fit. Your best bet with that blower would probably be a sheet metal short runner upper, as about the only thing that will fit under the stock hood is the 94-95 cobra, and even it is a tight squeeze.

As far as the Tbird computer goes, it is similar to the mustang one, and one person here can make a conversion harness to use like an A9L in a Tbird.

I think I covered a few things. Come join us over in the 5.0 forum. You will get a lot more response in there. Sounds like a fun car you have though. Prochargers are nice...I'd like to see one in a bird.

John

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7
1992 Thunderbird GT 5.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
res
1st Gear Poster

John I'll catch up with you on the 5.0 forum. Thanks for the information....One item, though. The 93 T-bird brakes are like a parachute compared to the drum/discs on a 90 LX 5.0. Probably not that the T-Bird brakes are so good, it's just that 200K in a old mustang has lowered my standards to the point that I'm very easily impressed.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 06:31 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by dode
better brakes? ha ha ha...your kidding right? Same brakes, heavier car. Yuck!
All depends, if his Birds got rear disks, they're a hella improvement over the useless drums that cam on the Fox's! Couldn't hold my Mustang worth a crap with the E-Brake on....in any direction. I don't even know why Ford bothered installing them at all!?!

~Brian~

*1990 Mustang Coupe, 5.4L*
Black on Black & Stroked 'n' Polked!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 07:50 PM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mod Motor Cat

All depends, if his Birds got rear disks, they're a hella improvement over the useless drums that cam on the Fox's! Couldn't hold my Mustang worth a crap with the E-Brake on....in any direction. I don't even know why Ford bothered installing them at all!?!
Is there a huge difference between the rear disc and the MN12 rear drum setup? Trying to decide how high on my list of stuff to do a rear disc conversion should be...

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
res
1st Gear Poster

Yep, luckily mine does have the rear discs, along with abs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
res
1st Gear Poster

If as dode says the drum cars are similar to the drum mustangs, there is a huge difference. I've never driven a drum-brake one, but with this disc car, brakes are way, way down the list of things to mess with.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 09:20 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmguy

Is there a huge difference between the rear disc and the MN12 rear drum setup? Trying to decide how high on my list of stuff to do a rear disc conversion should be...
Yes, quite a big difference. My '91 LS has drums in the rear, where my '96 XR7 has disks and there's a night and day difference, if not just in pedal feel alone. Some of that can be contributed to the anti-lock brakes on my '96 though. Definitely a worthy upgrade.

~Brian~

*1990 Mustang Coupe, 5.4L*
Black on Black & Stroked 'n' Polked!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in