What blower for a 5.0? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
What blower for a 5.0?

I'm leaning towards the Vortech S-Trim, but only because that's what aquaintences have used and it works well.

But are there other options that work REALLY well with the 5.Slow?

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:32 PM
Jedi Master

Kenne Bell, someday i plan to buy one....

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy

Last edited by mn12xr7; 01-09-2005 at 09:49 PM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:51 PM
PostWhore

Yeah, another vote for the Kenne Bell. It’s Pretty tough to wipe the smile off of the face of someone running a positive displacement blower in a big car. The centrifugals are alright, but with a 4,000lb MN12 on the street, you really gotta gear the crap out of them to realize their full potential. I think you'd be happier with a positive displacement.

~Brian~

*1990 Mustang Coupe, 5.4L*
Black on Black & Stroked 'n' Polked!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 11:45 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Dezal
some1 remind me why a sc from a mustang wont work again? this kenne belle sc, is it a kit, or will a custom fabrication have to be done? wasnt there a sc kit for a 5.0 bird? is it just me or it seems like the 4.6's t-birds have a bigger aftermarket then the 5.0's.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:11 PM
PostWhore

The biggest problem with the MN12's in hood clearance. I recall seeing KB blowers on pushrod birds in the past, so in that respect, they’re a direct bolt on. What they used for a hood on the other hand, isn't so clear in my memory right now. As far as the 4.6L Birds/Cougars, the only real kits that are direct bolt on for them are the AED (which as we all know has now gone bye, bye) and the FRPP 6psi blower. Everything else is going to have to be a custom job.

The 5.0L Birds on the other hand, could run the KB, BBK (if you can still find one hanging around) and a host of Centrifugals. They each may need a tweak here and there for them to be a true bolt on, but aside from the possible hood change, the swap should be pretty direct.

The 4.6L aftermarket is growing, but it’s not there yet. You also have to remember, they no longer make the MN12…and for that matter haven’t made them with a 5.0L since 1993. So I wouldn’t expect many direct bolt-on kits for either engine in the MN12 configuration any time soon.

~Brian~

*1990 Mustang Coupe, 5.4L*
Black on Black & Stroked 'n' Polked!!!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 01:58 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to T-bird4vr
I strapped a KB or autorotor on my 3.8 this weekend. It is uh, pretty fun.

Julian

twin screw sc
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 02:42 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 92blackbird
Vortech

Birdless now
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

OK then, so this club supports mainly KB and Vortech? Sounds good to me.

Hood clearance is already an issue, my Holley intake is already going to require cutting the hood up. Big deal though, power is more important than looks.

Thanks guys.

post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:32 PM

Vortech and a stall converter........ who needs torque/boost down low when you can jump to 3500rpm off the line.

1996 Thunderbird LX 3.8L
-255rwhp 273rwtq-
-Vortech V1 S-trim [email protected], aftercooled-
-Built 4R70W W/3200rpm PI
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
-stock, stock, big dent, and more stock-
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancherlee
Vortech and a stall converter........ who needs torque/boost down low when you can jump to 3500rpm off the line.
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

You got that right. My stall with a stock motor was about 2700rpm, with this 450+hp motor it should be about 3200-3500, which is PERFECT for the V1.

Just have to send my tranny back to Art Carr for a rebuild, shouldn't cost too much - I hope.

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Jedi Master

the vortech would require more work to slap in though...

-Orlando

post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn12xr7
the vortech would require more work to slap in though...
Does Kenne Bell even sell the setup you are talking about any more? Last I heard, they don't want to deal with Thunderbird owners at all.

Also, ANY type of supercharger/turbocharger is going to take considerable work to "slap in".

One point to think about. If you want to do this then think outside how our cars are setup in stock form. It seems to me that the easiest way to do this would be to convert your front accessory mounts to a 94-95 Mustang setup, get the 3G Mustang alternator, lose the A/C and get the Vortech kit that fits the 94-95 Mustang. You aren't going to be legal in California or any other Nazi state and you are certainly not going be running a stock setup.

If you want to do these things then that is what you have to get used to.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:02 AM
4th Gear Poster

how come they dont want to deal with t-bird owners anymore? i was just on their site 2 days ago, they dont have a sc for t-birds, its for mustangs.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:19 AM

Garage
Hey, don't take my word for it. Call them up. Just because they have a SC for Mustangs, don't think that it will work easily for a T-Bird. You are up against a lot of the same issues that you would face with any of the other manufacturers' SC kits for Mustangs.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:43 AM
PostWhore

Talk to Blown306... He's got a Kenne bell... What I remember from our conversation about kenne bell SC's (I think!) he said he got it in and working
on a weekend... More or less bolt on...

But don't take my word for.. Look him up here.. .

//Per

www.mn12racing.com

True duals are on!!!
Check video (9.5 megs)
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Jedi Master

I've haven't seen a vortech on a mn12 and well i was thinking that it wouldn't clear the engine bay without cutting away some pieces, like the section where the airbox is at, but maybe by changing those things you mentioned it could give us the more sleeper look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMartigan
Does Kenne Bell even sell the setup you are talking about any more? Last I heard, they don't want to deal with Thunderbird owners at all.

Also, ANY type of supercharger/turbocharger is going to take considerable work to "slap in".

One point to think about. If you want to do this then think outside how our cars are setup in stock form. It seems to me that the easiest way to do this would be to convert your front accessory mounts to a 94-95 Mustang setup, get the 3G Mustang alternator, lose the A/C and get the Vortech kit that fits the 94-95 Mustang. You aren't going to be legal in California or any other Nazi state and you are certainly not going be running a stock setup.

If you want to do these things then that is what you have to get used to.

-Orlando

post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:28 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 92five0bird Send a message via Yahoo to 92five0bird
Quote:
I've haven't seen a vortech on a mn12 and well i was thinking that it wouldn't clear the engine bay without cutting away some pieces, like the section where the airbox is at, but maybe by changing those things you mentioned it could give us the more sleeper look.
CobraRthunder is running a Voretch on his 4.6, yes 4.6 and im pretty sure JustinH is also. again 4.6 tho.

Madd has the right idea about the Mustang setup. The accesory castings ae the same on the passenger side of the car, the mild difference is the P/S and A/C idler bracket, other than that its all the same. I think with an aftermarket hood you could get one on there with minimal issues.

Chris

"Its better to be stroked than blown, but its best to be stroked and blown"
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92five0bird
CobraRthunder is running a Voretch on his 4.6, yes 4.6 and im pretty sure JustinH is also. again 4.6 tho.

Madd has the right idea about the Mustang setup. The accesory castings ae the same on the passenger side of the car, the mild difference is the P/S and A/C idler bracket, other than that its all the same. I think with an aftermarket hood you could get one on there with minimal issues.

Chris
yeah i kinda did mean a 302 though i should have been more clear though. So you think a hood would still be necessary??? if so i would still stick with a kb setup, thats just my personal preference though....

-Orlando

post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
yeah i kinda did mean a 302 though i should have been more clear though. So you think a hood would still be necessary??? if so i would still stick with a kb setup, thats just my personal preference though....
There is a person on here that has done it using some stock design with the help of Lonnie Doll. Yes, he did have to notch the frame rail where the airbox is to make it all fit under a stock hood using stock accessory locations. HOWEVER, if you switch to a 94-95 Mustang front accessory setup you shouldn't have to notch anything but you would need a new hood to clear this setup.

I'm not against the Kenne Bell but, since you really need to build up the engine to do this anyway, why not put a supercharger in place that would actually provide more than just tire smoking ability? Our pushrod engines don't have the same issues with low end torque as our mod motor younger brothers. There is more support for Vortech and they are more likely to help you than anyone else. The only other real hurdle you have is EEC tuning since our cars don't have as many choices as Mustang owners.
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddMartigan
There is a person on here that has done it using some stock design with the help of Lonnie Doll. Yes, he did have to notch the frame rail where the airbox is to make it all fit under a stock hood using stock accessory locations. HOWEVER, if you switch to a 94-95 Mustang front accessory setup you shouldn't have to notch anything but you would need a new hood to clear this setup.

I'm not against the Kenne Bell but, since you really need to build up the engine to do this anyway, why not put a supercharger in place that would actually provide more than just tire smoking ability? Our pushrod engines don't have the same issues with low end torque as our mod motor younger brothers. There is more support for Vortech and they are more likely to help you than anyone else. The only other real hurdle you have is EEC tuning since our cars don't have as many choices as Mustang owners.
you got a good point there brotha, so much you convinced me to think about a vortech instead.

-Orlando

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
you got a good point there brotha, so much you convinced me to think about a vortech instead.

Don't take my word for it, read up on it and find some Mustang buddies that have a Vortech. What I saw/rode in was very impressive and it didn't take him long to set it all up.

The thing that worries me about the Kenne Bell is that it is outdated technology (not the principle but the kit itself) and I doubt they will update it for any reason or support it when you need them. Vortech has a larger install base and you can probably get some help if need it. Just keep in mind that stock emissions are pretty much out the window and you will have to do some fabrication work to get it going. I think you will still be very happy in the end. If it weren't for my high compression engine I would certainly go Vortech.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Why 94/95 Mustang stuff, won't any 5.0 Mustang front accessory stuff work?

I'm planning on ditching the AC (doesn't work anyways), using Mustang PS, Alternator, water pump, timing chain cover, etc.

Hood clearance is NOT a concern, it's going to be hacked up anyways to fit the tall intake. Another hole over the SC and it's plumbing won't really make a difference.

Yup, definately going with the V1, and if I can find a V2 (quieter) for about the same money it's a go.

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 10:36 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Here is my setup. This picture is when I wasn't exactly done yet. So you might see a few wierd things. I had to cut the frame rail after I redid the supercharger bracket to make it stronger, to add an extra pulley to tighten the supercharger belt and to make the alt and supercharger look nicer without the smog pump. I did this when the engine was out of the car and when I went to put the engine in the alt hit the frame rail. If you just used the bracket it came with you wouldn't have a problem. The rest of the install is covered under lonnie's writeup in the Technical Articles section. We definately had to improve what they gave me but it would have worked normally but with shoddy material. I am soon going to be posting pics of my painted hood and updated engine bay. Probably after I wash it this weekend. Look for it, I think you will like it.

Last edited by John; 02-07-2005 at 05:42 PM.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 03:44 AM
4th Gear Poster

nice.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-06-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Nice is right - and clean too! I like your setup John.

What did you do for a tube from the intake to the blower tube - custom squishy tube?

I'm not quite following the 'frame rail' cutting, is this a part of the hood to clear the SC?

Also, what year Mustang SC did you get? I think that the 91-93 MN12 5.0 is the same setup used in the 94-95 Mustang. So I'm leaning towards the 94/95.

www.coolblueperformance.com is definately where I'm buying mine from - there hasn't been ANY used SC's in our local trader paper for the last 3 months. Mustangs just aren't all that popular anymore around here.

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Kevin,
I fabbed the intake tube from 3 1/2in stainless exhaust tubing. I got a couple of "U" shaped tubes and cut what I needed off to make the setup. Then got some silicon sleeves from I think it was from www.belaircomposites.com to connect the tubes together after I had them chrome plated. Was pretty easy to do and looks great. Had to cut a small area out of the shock tower to fit the tube since there is no room for the tube to get to the supercharger inlet. If you are talking about the tube from the SC outlet to the upper intake then that you can get almost anywhere if you search for it. The frame rail had nothing to do with the hood. It is the main frame rail that runs along each side of the engine bay from the front frame support(radiator area) to all the way to the back of the car. It is about level with the headers. Had to cut it because I had a brain fart when redoing my SC bracket. The original was thin so I beefed it up and also added an area to add a second supercharger pulley to tighten the belt better because of the belt slip I had from the original setup and another area to relocate the alternator. The alternator area is where I had the brain fart. You can see it in the picture at the lower left corner right by the alternator. At the time R&E Racing was the only company that was supplying TBird Vortech and Powerdyne setups. Don't know if they are still doing it. I had to change pretty much their entire setup. You also pay more for it being a TBird setup. Any setup you get you are in for some fabrication. I was lucky to have Lonnie here and a very good machinist in town when doing all the fabricating.

Last edited by John; 02-07-2005 at 05:50 PM.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:06 AM
4th Gear Poster

John,

that company u just mentioned, do they have a website?
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 02:10 AM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92blackbird
Vortech
You're biassed :P
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 09:44 AM
2nd Gear Poster

dezal,
Here is the web page http://re-racing.com/store/index.php?cPath=1452_1454 .
Remember this is a beginners kit. It will probably work but you will have to do some extra things for it to fit correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in