150,000 miles supercharging? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2005, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Question 150,000 miles supercharging?

Ok guy i want to put a vortec or procharger kit on my car, it has 150000 miles will it last with 6lbs of boost? And what do i need to run the kit on my car?

1993 lincoln mark viii (AKA COBRA EATER!!!)
Mod's-Custom transmission, custom air intake, muffler delete, 255 fuel pump, bbk fuel pressure regulator, NX nitrous kit 175hp jets, custom tune from SCT, et street radials out back
Best times
[email protected]
N20-??? (but I can Beat srt10 vipers on spray buy 5-7 cars!!!)

R.I.P --- 1994 4.6 lx thunderbird (AKA Thundrstruck):Mod's-true duels no mufflers, custom upper intake, Cold air intake, 4.10 gears, custom engine limiter superchips tune not tuned for N20, NX 100 Shoot.Best times:[email protected]:[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

well i guess no one has an ansewer.

1993 lincoln mark viii (AKA COBRA EATER!!!)
Mod's-Custom transmission, custom air intake, muffler delete, 255 fuel pump, bbk fuel pressure regulator, NX nitrous kit 175hp jets, custom tune from SCT, et street radials out back
Best times
[email protected]
N20-??? (but I can Beat srt10 vipers on spray buy 5-7 cars!!!)

R.I.P --- 1994 4.6 lx thunderbird (AKA Thundrstruck):Mod's-true duels no mufflers, custom upper intake, Cold air intake, 4.10 gears, custom engine limiter superchips tune not tuned for N20, NX 100 Shoot.Best times:[email protected]:[email protected]
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Or maybe they all realize you just need to do a search?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Here's my take (I didn't read your post yesterday).

Will it "last"... yes. How long will it last is a VERY different story.

Personally I would be VERY, VERY leery of supercharging a 94 4.6L with 150K miles.

Here's why:
Leaking valve stem seals. Oil in the combustion chamber in addition to boost is a very bad combination (it promotes pinging and thus broken ring lands)
Worn piston/rings. The 4.6L does use low-tension rings, so they don't wear out as quickly and the cylinders run cleaner and that also helps. But 150K miles and boost is asking a lot from those stock rings.

If I were considering that, I would look into a cheap, low mileage 4.6L and bolt the blower to that. Then, do an engine and blower swap as one unit. Don't open the engine; just rely on the low mileage. IMHO, anything below 80K should be "ok" for low boost.

Just my .02.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 05:31 PM
6th Gear Poster

Putting $3000 dollars on top of an engine that has 150,000 miles is not what rebuilding a car is all about. If you don't have at least $10,000 into rebuilding the suspension, the exshaust, the intake, the wheels, the tires, the tranny, the rear end, the brakes, not to mention the intrerior and paint, then you are just putting the cart in front of the mule. Build a good dependable ride first. Nothing feels better than that car riding and looking like new.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak Kid
Agreed. Broken ring lands... I broke 4 of them on an N/A 1994 block...no nitrous, or blower. they aren't the strongest engines when you start asking more from them. If you are gonna go blown, expect to pay at least $3,000 in just the bottom end...That is if you want it to last. To do it "right" and upgrade your fuel system, have the heads machined, new misc engine parts, etc...+ transmission/ rear-end upgrades...Hope you have deep pockets basically, to do it "right"...plan on around $8-10,000.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Ed
Putting $3000 dollars on top of an engine that has 150,000 miles is not what rebuilding a car is all about. If you don't have at least $10,000 into rebuilding the suspension, the exshaust, the intake, the wheels, the tires, the tranny, the rear end, the brakes, not to mention the intrerior and paint, then you are just putting the cart in front of the mule. Build a good dependable ride first. Nothing feels better than that car riding and looking like new.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in