Uneven Rear Tire Wear - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Uneven Rear Tire Wear

What would cause my passenger side rear tire to wear more than the driver's side? Anything in the rear suspension that would cause this? I had a friend to follow me and look at the wheel at different speeds but he couldn't notice anything.
Thanks!

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 PM
6th Gear Poster

The alignment could be out on that wheel.. but it's unlikely that it's simply - out. Check to make sure the bushings aren't so deteriorated that they're missing. Check the wheel bearing, too. If it's bad enough, it'll do some really weird things.

a black car.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 PM
PostWhore

Could be any of several things, making all rightturns from side streets and parking lots with heavy throttle will do it, as will rear wheel allignment. Doesn't take a lot and a full 4 wheel allignment is the way to fix it. If rear is alligned, the rear inner upper control arm pivot bolts are used to set camber last, some guys don't know this.

These cars with ind. sus. are sensative to uneven surfaces where there are twists.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophosis View Post
The alignment could be out on that wheel.. but it's unlikely that it's simply - out. Check to make sure the bushings aren't so deteriorated that they're missing. Check the wheel bearing, too. If it's bad enough, it'll do some really weird things.
Thanks for the info; I'm having them checked Mon morning. About the "really wierd things"...wouldn't you be able to see any of these things with someone following you and closely observing the wheel movement? The car seems to go down the road fine with no vibrations, thumping or anything else I can notice. The car has about 64k on it.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 AM
PostWhore

Garage
If your bearing goes it it allows the wheel to move with the pavement. You might feel like it wants to stick in tracks in the road like made by heavy trucks, but it will look fine on a flat road. If both sides go it will feel like you are driving drunk.
Jack up the car and grab the wheel top and bottom and see if there is any movement. If it is not that most likely the alignment.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:05 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Both of my cars wear the pass side rear tire differently than the rest.

It is consistently worn as though it is overinflated, even tho I have dropped it two pounds relative to the other tires since the last change. I'm not sure I want to drop it any more.

I know the alignment is correct on both, and I keep the tire pressure monitored closely; it's a big impact on fuel mileage.

Strange, but I can deal...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
If your bearing goes it it allows the wheel to move with the pavement. You might feel like it wants to stick in tracks in the road like made by heavy trucks, but it will look fine on a flat road. If both sides go it will feel like you are driving drunk.
Jack up the car and grab the wheel top and bottom and see if there is any movement. If it is not that most likely the alignment.
Thanks, Dusty. I'll have my son to do this when he gets home. And BTW/ The money is in the mail!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 12:54 PM

Ive notice that to but i know it's because i dont have a locker and i give it to much throttle when I turn onto another street. lol
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well, the mystery is solved! A friend of the kid who stole the car and was a passenger, told the judge in court that they were "Just having fun doing donuts and burnouts." I guess they were just doing keft handed donuts. Anyway, after spending lots of $$$ having the car buffed out and totally detailed, it's looking good again. I'm wating for the sentencing of the kid two weeks from now so the Judge can order him to repay me for all the expenses I've incured.

I guess all's well that ends well....it could have been a lot worse!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Sig Nazi & Gallery Moderator

Administrator

At least the kid was honest with the judge and you don't have to look for some mystery problem.
I'm glad you got your car back

TBIRDBRAIN - PRESTON
YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN
4/22/63 - 4/23/14
RIP JOEL BENDER
07/30/1979 - 03/26/2006

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in