Front shock replacement - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Front shock replacement

I've got a pair of the Monroe quick strut assemblies and am all ready to replace the front shocks with them. The springs on the new shockss are wide enough near the bottom for a spring compressor to fit, however there is no way it will fit anywhere above the halfway point on the spring. How am I supposed to get the thing squeezed to the point where they'll compress it enough to get it on the car, much less come off once I've got the thing on the car?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by jamesD; 02-09-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 PM
6th Gear Poster

Yeah, just get the compressor as wide as you can and compress it down. This should give you enough clearance to get the nut tightened on the top of the shock.

teksid block with forged internals, MHS stage 2 heads and cams, 80 mm 03 Mustang MAF, Bullitt intake with Accufab oval throttle body, Kooks headers, 2.5 inch catless true dual exhaust, w/x pipe and Magnaflow Magnapacks, Dirty Dog 3000 stall marauder tq converter, BC automotive built 4R70w transmission ,MMX Dynotech Drive shaft, Trac loc differential with 3.73's, custom made fssb, and lecb, rear shock tower brace by Azzkickers, JL subframe connectors, Eibach 1.5" lowering springs, koni shocks, dyno tune by Tim Barth at Mr Norm's garage

Last edited by jamesD; 02-09-2009 at 06:28 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Hm, I'll give it a whirl. I'll have two days to get everything done, if not both sides then just the right. As far as the 'quick strut' goes, is there anything you need to do other than simply take the old one out and bolt the new one in? I read the instructions and it looks like it wants me to reuse parts??

The other thing I'm doing is replacing the upper ball joint and control arm; I assume that's a basic unbolt and remove the old one and bolt the new one in?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 02-09-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

the monroe assembly is supposed to be complete: upper mount, spring, shock. you should only need to reuse the 3 nuts @ the shock tower and the bottom shock to LCA bolt. although you could buy a new lower shock bolt

I bust ARP bolts by hand...

If Guns kill people, then...
...pencils miss spel werds
...cars make people drive drunk
...spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat
~Gun Owners of America
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Ah, I see. As simple as getting the old one(s) out, fitting the new one in and bolting it up. I like that.

-Brandon

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Make sure to not tighten the lower shock bolt until the full weight of the car is on it. Otherwise the bushing in the LCA will bind.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Speaking of that beast of a bolt, it's stuck on!

I've got everything else undone; upper control arm and ball joint are out completely, the lower connection of the stabilizer bar link is unhooked and the nut on the lower shock bolt is off. That bolt won't budge though! I've worked on that thing with a hammer for quite a time now, even after it's been soaked in PB Blaster for hours!

Any tips?

-Brandon

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 12:06 PM

Torch time.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:51 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Speaking of that beast of a bolt, it's stuck on!

I've got everything else undone; upper control arm and ball joint are out completely, the lower connection of the stabilizer bar link is unhooked and the nut on the lower shock bolt is off. That bolt won't budge though! I've worked on that thing with a hammer for quite a time now, even after it's been soaked in PB Blaster for hours!

Any tips?
Large C-Clamp or ball joint press. Or just replace your LCAs while you are there.

By the way, the springs on this cars are generally considered to be way too strong to use hand tools to compress. A wall-mounted spring compressor is really the safe way to do it. But it's not relevant to you right now because you are using the Quick-Struts anyway.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I was able to get a socket on the bolt's head and turn it around a few times to loosen it up. I have a tie rod end lifter to help push on the other end of the bolt, but up until now all I've been able to do is get it out about 1/4" before it won't turn anymore. I think... I know the sleeve is rusted inside and the threads at the other end are binding in it as I'm unscrewing the bolt. The last thing I want to do is round off its head...

I'm just going to wait for someone to get home from work who knows where the darned blowtorch attachment is, then I'll blast that thing and beat it out. Hopefully.

-Brandon

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2009, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Ugh. I can't use a torch on that sleeve, I think it's held in by a rubber bushing of sorts and if I heat up the sleeve the bushing and control arm go to waste. I tried and the smell of burnt rubber filled the air.

I reassembled everything without getting the bolt out because we need the car and the weather takes a turn for the worse tomorrow. However I did manage to replace the upper control arm, if anything good came out of the day.

EDIT: I think I'll try to hack saw the head of the bolt off so I can pull it out the other way. I'll just need a new bolt.

-Brandon

Last edited by theterminator93; 02-11-2009 at 08:21 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in