Power steering hard when parking - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
Power steering hard when parking

I have been having an issue lately with my power steering but it seems to be intermittent. The problem is that after the car gets warm sometimes when I go to parallel park I have no power assist at all and I have to force the wheel to make the turns and living in New York city parallel parking is something I need to do pretty often( thank god not by my house lol). I was reading my Haynes manual last night and it mentioned something about the EVO system or something like that, I might be getting the term wrong as I'm not looking at the book right now but they pretty much say that it is to help in power assist at idle speed or parking.

The thing is it says that the home mechanic cant diagnose this issue and that it needs to be done by a shop. Can anyone give me any input on this? Is there an easy fix for this issue ? Do I have to replace the pump? or is it the rack? Thanks in advance, Jon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishkah View Post
I have been having an issue lately with my power steering but it seems to be intermittent. The problem is that after the car gets warm sometimes when I go to parallel park I have no power assist at all and I have to force the wheel to make the turns and living in New York city parallel parking is something I need to do pretty often( thank god not by my house lol). I was reading my Haynes manual last night and it mentioned something about the EVO system or something like that, I might be getting the term wrong as I'm not looking at the book right now but they pretty much say that it is to help in power assist at idle speed or parking.

The thing is it says that the home mechanic cant diagnose this issue and that it needs to be done by a shop. Can anyone give me any input on this? Is there an easy fix for this issue ? Do I have to replace the pump? or is it the rack? Thanks in advance, Jon.
Ha, i know about the parallel parking situation there, and how fast sometimes you have to get into a spot on narrow streets.

I would start by exchanging the fluid in your steering system. I believe 96+ takes Mercon V, earlier takes something called TYPE F transmission fluid. Either use the turkey baster method or a syphon or disconnect the return line, disable the fuel pump and crank a few times while jacked turning the wheel while it goes in a container. Don't let the resiviour go fully empty.

Does the V6 even have EVO? I'm not sure, maybe an option.
You can also try disconnecting the EVO connector, I believe it defaults to full assist. Anything else is going to need a special scanner to diagnose.
________

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-07-2012 at 12:48 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Not to dig up an old thread or anything but I have since changed the fluid out completely and it is clean, however once the car has been driven for a while and is warm the steering gives no power assist while parking. It is only noticeable while parking, I have to use 2 arms if I am in a rush to park it. Any ideas guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 07:51 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishkah View Post
Not to dig up an old thread or anything but I have since changed the fluid out completely and it is clean, however once the car has been driven for a while and is warm the steering gives no power assist while parking. It is only noticeable while parking, I have to use 2 arms if I am in a rush to park it. Any ideas guys?
Are your tie rods and lower balls joints in good shape? They can bind sometimes. Racks can wear out too (spool valve) and cause hard steering. So can the pump. Maybe someone can give insight on testing, the manual talks about pressure tests for the pump.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

The front end is in pretty good shape except for those swaybar links lol The car steers fine untill it gets warm, before then it feels 100% fine, it almost feels as if the car shuts down the power steering once its hot as if to avoid over heating is this possible?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in