Spring suggestions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Spring suggestions

So I just finished my hub swap yesterday and installed my Godspeed wheels. I love the look!!!!! But I am running into a couple of problems.

My back wheels are 18x10 with Nittos 285/40's and come out perfectly even with my rear fenders. I wanted to avoid and rubbing and so I did install the air bag kit (good thing!!)

I currently have the intrax springs on my car which gives the rear a 2" drop in the back. With the tires I am running, it is simply to much drop now! Without the air bags, my car will pretty much sit on top of the tires. So as of now, I am running about 50lbs in my bags to give me about 2" of lift in the back and the springs really aren't doing much of anything now. I would like to install some back springs to help lift the back end up a little so that my air bags aren't doing all of the work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
thanks

pics of my car
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ght=train+yard

Updated 10/14/11
3800 Dirty Dog installed and drag radials
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I guess this is something to think about. Here is a pic after I got my front hub swap done. I have my stock wheels on the back with the 2" Intrax springs I mentioned. Is it possible that maybe my rear springs are just weak and giving me more than a 2" drop? Becasue even with my stock wheels, my car only sat up from my tires about maybe 3/4". Isn't that more than a 2" drop?

Yeah I know....funny looking picture

pics of my car

Updated 10/14/11
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft

Last edited by R8D-XXX; 03-01-2009 at 04:24 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:01 PM
PostWhore

Have you trimmed or rolled the rear fender lips? I'm thinking that you will need to be doing that with 285s on 10" wheels with that ride height, probably even so if you get the car back up 1/2" or more.

cheers
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks Ed. No I havn't rolled my fenders yet but I think I will even though I have the bags. As I said in my first post, my bags are actually the only thing keeping my car from rubbing right now, my Intrax springs are making my car sit to low. I think I better see about getting some different springs for the back.

I currently have Intrax with about a 2" drop. But they are also really spongy and you can manually push the rear of the car down by hand farily easy. I want a set of springs that will raise it back up by a 1/2", but I also want a set that will stiffen my rear up so that it won't sag as easy....I would rather have it ride like a tank than to hit a bump and go down onto my tires. What springs would you suggest? I see that Eibach's give a 1.5" drop but will they stiffen my rear up also?

pics of my car

Updated 10/14/11
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:04 PM
5th Gear Poster

i would grab some Sc springs and cut them down about 2 coils . thay are nice and stiff and will not sag. others have done this with good results. i have eibach's and i do not mind them, rather wish i had done the cutting of SC's in the first place but whats done is done. just my
.02 after the rebuild of my front suspension this spring and all 4 shocks as well i hope to hell it rides better. lol

Mods: The usual stuff... 3.73 Gears, J-mod, catless mandrel 2.5" true duals, Marauder Converter, Eibachs, Xcal2 and Phoenix Gold Audio, chrome 18's, etc. etc..
I joined the dark side...
2002 Mustang GT, FRPP Aluminator with Tork Tech MP112 intercooled S/C at 17PSI, with all the supporting mods.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8D-XXX View Post
So I just finished my hub swap yesterday and installed my Godspeed wheels. I love the look!!!!! But I am running into a couple of problems.

My back wheels are 18x10 with Nittos 285/40's and come out perfectly even with my rear fenders. I wanted to avoid and rubbing and so I did install the air bag kit (good thing!!)

I currently have the intrax springs on my car which gives the rear a 2" drop in the back. With the tires I am running, it is simply to much drop now! Without the air bags, my car will pretty much sit on top of the tires. So as of now, I am running about 50lbs in my bags to give me about 2" of lift in the back and the springs really aren't doing much of anything now. I would like to install some back springs to help lift the back end up a little so that my air bags aren't doing all of the work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
thanks
you could use spacers. it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper then a whole new set of rear springs

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_superbirdy View Post
you could use spacers. it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper then a whole new set of rear springs
I was thinking of Polyurethane isolators. What do you mean spacers? Can you find a link?

pics of my car

Updated 10/14/11
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8D-XXX View Post
I was thinking of Polyurethane isolators. What do you mean spacers? Can you find a link?
thats probably what he meant.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Veteran Poster

Do the Mark VIII LCA swap.. It raised my rear quite a bit.

Eibach 1.5" Lower Springs, Koni Adjustable Shocks, SCP IRS Brace, SCP Lower Engine Cradle Brace, Mark VIII LCAs
Chuck's Poly Motor Mounts, 13" PBR Front and Cobra rear brakes, 245-45-18 ADR Kasai Wheels, RichardM Intake Tube
Super Coupe leather seats and console, Pioneer Head, Audison Amps, Boston SL Components, 10" Boston G5 subs, Reverse Glow EL Gauges, Super Coupe Ground Effects, '96 Hood and Headlights, Custom paint: Tungsten Silver, PI Intake, 4000 stall
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_SilverBird View Post
i was going to do that then i saw how much of a pita that was going to be to pull the lca off. plus didnt help that i only had 1 hour to get them off before the yard closed.

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
thanks for the suggestion but I really don't want the back real high. I want to keep it within 2" or so above my back tires. But once I get the height I want, I need it to be stiff and not real mushy feeling in the back. I have the clearance that I want right now, but like I said above, my bags are doing all of the work

I saw that Bill on supercoupeperformance sells the poly spring cups. I'll probably give him a call about those and see how much those might raise me back up.

pics of my car

Updated 10/14/11
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
I've never compared the two, but how would this raise my car up?

I have a 93' mark 8 parts car!

pics of my car

Updated 10/14/11
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:57 AM
4th Gear Poster

It really doesnt take much effort to swap a pair of rear springs. IMHO, I would take your current springs out and replace them with a pair of STOCK SC spgs. Give them a week to settle, and then decide how much/many coils you want to chop. I sure wouldnt start with 2 coils. Just one at first, and maybe then another. You should be able to pick up the rear SC spgs for near nothing. even cutting the spgs with a plain old hacksaw isnt too much of a deal. I have 1.5 Eibachs on my SC and becaause I dont race I feel they are way too stiff. Cutting the stock coils is the only way to go.

BYE2YOU
growing old is inevitable
growing up is optional
94 SC
05 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Convert
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have Vogtland springs and they seem too soft. However when I get the Bilsteins rebuilt I will have them valve up a little stiffer. Might fix the boat like ness.

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
I have Vogtland springs and they seem too soft. However when I get the Bilsteins rebuilt I will have them valve up a little stiffer. Might fix the boat like ness.
Thats the way my Intrax springs feel. With the tires I'm running now, I would definitly rather have a stiff suspension.

pics of my car

Updated 10/14/11
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in