Loose steering wheel - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Loose steering wheel

Okay, so my steering wheel always has about a half inch of free play behind it, regardless of speed. I was thinking maybe a loose rack and pinion could be the culprit. How possible is it that this free play might be related to the popping or thudding I get from my right front tire area? Is it also a possibility that my tie rod ends are going? I checked all the bushings for both front wheel areas when I replaced the shock towers, everything seemed okay. I also know the steering wheel itself is tightly secured to the shaft.

Also - how much of a pain is it to replace the rack and pinion etc. if I decide to tackle this?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I'm having the same noises and it pretty certain that my ball joints are going, the lower passenger one is making the noise but they're all shot.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm pretty sure the ball joints don't need to be replaced; both lowers and the left upper were replaced about 30,000 miles ago and I just recently replaced the right upper. When I did that I checked the others (the 30,000 mile old ones) and they didn't have any excessive play so I think they're still okay. But I will definitely keep the option of re-replacing the lowers in mind. The noise only happens when I go into a braking left hand turn, but the steering play is always there.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:02 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

Not sure how difficult it is, but I had similar noises and don't think I had quite so much play but the wheel wasn't tight. The tie rod ends and rack and pinion were replaced and all is better now

-Melon

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I think I'm going to look into the tie rod ends (both inner and outer) before I start to mess with the rack and pinion stuff. My girlfriend's dad has a '97 LX sport that's identical to mine (although mine isn't sport) in all respects except his has a CD player and no SATC. His wheel has about the same amount of "slop" in as mine does.

-Brandon

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Hey guys, just out of nowhere I decided to check under the dash at the steering shaft linkage to make sure everything was tight. Lo and behold, the bolt that holds the u-joint on to the first connecting shaft was loose and out about 1/2". I jiggled the wheel before I tightened it and the first half of the shaft (before and up to the bolt) was moving, the rest wasn't. So I tightened it up real snug and the steering wheel definitely seems (if anything, a little) tighter now. The wheels are moving with the wheel in that former "dead zone" instead of not moving at all. Hopefully that was my problem, I'll drop in later just to give a confirm. Now to figure out what that annoying sound is...

-Brandon

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Another place to check would be the rag joint in the steering shaft under the hood. Mine was half torn at one point.

-John Fordham

Thunderbird and Cougar Club of Southern New York
1993 Cougar XR7 302 HO AOD
240,000 miles and still running strong

1997 Explorer Eddie Bauer 302 HO AWD
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Okay, I'm still working on this. I used some steel epoxy to really tighten up one place where there was a bit of slop and it's worked beautifully. I'm down to 1/8", perhaps 3/16" of play left. After a few minutes of looking around, I found that the last place where the steering linkage is "loose" is that u-joint under the dash. The bolts are tight, the joint itself has a tiny bit of play. Jiggle the wheel in this dead zone and the shaft turns ahead of and including the first section of that u-joint, the rest of the shaft doesn't budge. Once I get out of that dead zone, everything from there on to the rack and pinion is nice and solid.

Do you think it's possible to take it off and use a small amount of that steel epoxy I was using to build up the gap and get rid of that dead zone? It's the last culprit to get rid of and it's killing me.

Or, can I pick up a new one of these for cheap somewhere?

-Brandon

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks for the suggestion. That's what my dad was thinking, but I don't think it's anything ahead of the firewall because when I move the steering wheel through its dead zone, the only part of the steering shaft that moves is before the u-joint above the brake pedal. Once I get the rest of the steering shaft to move, even the slightest bit, the rest of the linkage kicks in immediately and I can see the tires moving with the wheel... Maybe I'll try to make a short video clip of it tomorrow if the weather permits.

-Brandon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in