Clunking sounds from front end..... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowride
Clunking sounds from front end.....

On my '89 T-Bird SC, when I'm going foward and turning sharply either direction, I'm getting a "clunk" noise from the front end. I've replaced the radious arm bushings at the lower control arm, upper and lower ball joints on both sides and also put a set of Vogtland springs ( 3/4" drop) on as well.....all was done back in October of '08 and it's been doing it ever since. At first I thought it was the springs and front end settling but everything should be "good" by now.

Had the front jacked up last week trying to figure it out and inspect other parts like the tie rod ends and what have ya. Even turned the wheel all the way both directions and all I got was a slight clunk when the wheels were turned all the way over in both directions, but it was nothing like the clunk I get when she's on the ground and moving foward and turned almost all the way----in either direction.
Oh, and when she is turned almost all the way, she feels like she's pushing.

So I'm not sure what it could be......bushing bind up, something in the rack and pinion, something with the springs or new bushings, or what. Any ideas guys??

Thanks.
Slowride

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to frankjc
Could be a number of things. I would recommend reading the sticky at the top of the suspension forum, if you haven't already.

Drive it like you stole it!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Had the same problem on mine.check and make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight on the parts that attach your suspension to your body..Good luck..

Rayo..
X2 buddy, this has happened to me on my own car(my 92 cougar too) and some customers' cars
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:36 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowride View Post
On my '89 T-Bird SC, when I'm going foward and turning sharply either direction, I'm getting a "clunk" noise from the front end. I've replaced the radious arm bushings at the lower control arm, upper and lower ball joints on both sides and also put a set of Vogtland springs ( 3/4" drop) on as well.....all was done back in October of '08 and it's been doing it ever since. At first I thought it was the springs and front end settling but everything should be "good" by now.

Had the front jacked up last week trying to figure it out and inspect other parts like the tie rod ends and what have ya. Even turned the wheel all the way both directions and all I got was a slight clunk when the wheels were turned all the way over in both directions, but it was nothing like the clunk I get when she's on the ground and moving foward and turned almost all the way----in either direction.
Oh, and when she is turned almost all the way, she feels like she's pushing.

So I'm not sure what it could be......bushing bind up, something in the rack and pinion, something with the springs or new bushings, or what. Any ideas guys??

Thanks.
Slowride
hey check the stabilizer bar links. If the rubber is torn replace them.

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-07-2012 at 10:30 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankjc View Post
Could be a number of things. I would recommend reading the sticky at the top of the suspension forum, if you haven't already.

Read the stickies. They're there for a reason.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 03-26-2009 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Add link
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 04:00 PM

clunk

I had a pritty bad clunking/clatter and i grabed the upper control arm and made the noise!Just tightened up and went away!Not saying thats your problem but worth a try!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 01:23 AM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
Check the anti sway bar endlinks..

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 03:42 AM
3rd Gear Poster

supergordo, you hit it right on the money. I know that sound. When I went in for an oil change, I had the mechanics move my front end from side to side, making that clunking sound, while one was underneath the car trying to find the source of it. Turns out, it was the sway bar connecting links. They replaced them for about $200 total for both sides, clunking gone, and the car handles WAY bettter. Well worth the $200.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowride
I'll recheck everything and go from there. It does kinda sound like the pivot bolts may be loose....I'll check.

Thanks !

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in