dammit!!! new shocks car is higher. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Angry dammit!!! new shocks car is higher.

well i'm somewhat pissed about the shock treatment of 2 weeks ago. swear to god the ass end sits higher now.(it does for a fact, measured it) i had monroe sensa-trac garbage put in cause the shop could not find bilsteins. anywhere around here. yes he looked.....i was standing there while he phoned around. i've had eibach's on the car with whatever shock was on the car when i bought it for about 3 years. wife can't see any difference but i can see a total difference in fender gap from old shocks to new. i measured from the ground to topcenter of fender and it's 28" in the rear, the front sits more like it used to at 27.25" can you guys measure your cars for me and post back . also whether or not you have eibach's and what kind of shocks. what should i do about this? go back and have them replaced with something else? which means more expense most likely.... i loved the way my car sat before, nice and level, now it has rake. could the springs in rear be seated wrong? will this settle a little bit? i'm so choked about this i can't friggin sleep, i really seriously considered having my old shocks put back on. let me know what the measurements are out there. thx fella's.....
well after doing some reading and searching, could it be because i'm using the 5"endlinks and not the 3.5"shorter one's?

Mods: The usual stuff... 3.73 Gears, J-mod, catless mandrel 2.5" true duals, Marauder Converter, Eibachs, Xcal2 and Phoenix Gold Audio, chrome 18's, etc. etc..
I joined the dark side...
2002 Mustang GT, FRPP Aluminator with Tork Tech MP112 intercooled S/C at 17PSI, with all the supporting mods.

Last edited by Stryker; 04-07-2009 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:55 AM
PostSlut

it should settle......how long have you had them on?

and the endlinks should have no effect on ride height either.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I would say about 120 miles or so. i hope so i was thinking that as well.

Mods: The usual stuff... 3.73 Gears, J-mod, catless mandrel 2.5" true duals, Marauder Converter, Eibachs, Xcal2 and Phoenix Gold Audio, chrome 18's, etc. etc..
2002 Mustang GT, FRPP Aluminator with Tork Tech MP112 intercooled S/C at 17PSI, with all the supporting mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 08:22 AM
PostSlut

I mean, its not going to happen right away......just give it time.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Veteran Poster

Well you did replace a set of worn out shocks right? Could the difference be accounted for in the 'sag' that it could have had before with the old shocks?

I thought I read that without shorter sway bar links out back it will prevent the car from settling down all the way?

95 Cougar XR-7
Sold it...

96 Thunderbird LX
Sold it...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
Well you did replace a set of worn out shocks right? Could the difference be accounted for in the 'sag' that it could have had before with the old shocks?

I thought I read that without shorter sway bar links out back it will prevent the car from settling down all the way?
ya i did a ton reading on that issue. apparently thats more for the handling and responsiveness. i'm gonna go ahead and do that this week anyway it should not be all that much too do. as far as the settling, i'm gonna say a prayer that it happens. the shocks weren't terribly worn but i figured what the hell might as well have them done as the roads are nasty in the spring up here.... darn me and my proactive thinking.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 05:57 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
well i'm somewhat pissed about the shock treatment of 2 weeks ago. swear to god the ass end sits higher now.(it does for a fact, measured it) i had monroe sensa-trac garbage put in cause the shop could not find bilsteins. anywhere around here. yes he looked.....i was standing there while he phoned around. i've had eibach's on the car with whatever shock was on the car when i bought it for about 3 years. wife can't see any difference but i can see a total difference in fender gap from old shocks to new. i measured from the ground to topcenter of fender and it's 28" in the rear, the front sits more like it used to at 27.25" can you guys measure your cars for me and post back . also whether or not you have eibach's and what kind of shocks. what should i do about this? go back and have them replaced with something else? which means more expense most likely.... i loved the way my car sat before, nice and level, now it has rake. could the springs in rear be seated wrong? will this settle a little bit? i'm so choked about this i can't friggin sleep, i really seriously considered having my old shocks put back on. let me know what the measurements are out there. thx fella's.....
well after doing some reading and searching, could it be because i'm using the 5"endlinks and not the 3.5"shorter one's?
In the US sensatracs come with a 90 satisfaction warranty, they also pay $50 /axle to replace. Don't know about canada. Monroe.com.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
In the US sensatracs come with a 90 satisfaction warranty, they also pay $50 /axle to replace. Don't know about canada. Monroe.com.
thx dude....i'll look into that for sure.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:43 PM
6th Gear Poster

You still have the same springs you had before the install of the new shocks right? That being said, shocks do not affect the ride height of a car. When I say shock, I am not referring to struts or coil overs . Unless a shock is too long and bottomed out or locked up would it prohibit the weight of the rear of the car from sitting down fully on the springs.

Just to prove my point, push down on the rear of the car. It will obviously rise back up which is the result of the springs returning to their 'equilibrium height'. Next find a shock and compress it by hand. You will be able to compress it and hold it in depending upon your wheaties' intake. The force exerted by your arms to hold the shock in is far less than the force exerted on the shock by the rear of the car. If a normal person could hold a shock compressed, how would the same shock hold the weight of the rear higher than the springs? Next, find a rear spring and try to compress it with your arms (not happening). Plain and simple: the shocks are NOT carrying the weight of the rear of the car. I could pull my rear shocks right now and there would be no effect on the height of the rear.

There is something else going on with your car if it is in fact higher in the rear. Rear shocks are very very easy to install on our cars and the shop should not have messed with the springs (rear) at all. If your rear suspension hung for awhile, it might sit higher for a short time. The front of my car was up in the air for a couple months and it took a handful of days to settle back down.

I have not seen your car, but I would bet my milk money that the shocks are not holding it up. Good luck and hope you figure out your problem.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

thx for all the help/responses. the car now has the 18's on for summer and it seems to have settled back to somewhere around what it used to be. the front is certainly the same.i'm going to put on shorter end links in the back. where do i find them? anyone have a part number? we have auto value, parts source, napa up here.should i just go ask for 3.5 inch ones for our cars?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Veteran Poster

http://supercoupeperformance.com/par...spx?partId=261

95 Cougar XR-7
Sold it...

96 Thunderbird LX
Sold it...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
thx for all the help/responses. the car now has the 18's on for summer and it seems to have settled back to somewhere around what it used to be. the front is certainly the same.i'm going to put on shorter end links in the back. where do i find them? anyone have a part number? we have auto value, parts source, napa up here.should i just go ask for 3.5 inch ones for our cars?
also, btw, sensatrac isn't such a bad shock. If they go bad Monroe is very good with replacing them if you have a receipt. I wouldn't be shocked if they are the OEM for the motorcraft shocks.

How do they ride? I personally don't like shocks that make you feel every pebble in the road. Of course, others opinions will vary!

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

well they ride similar to the old one's when they were good. i'm thinking that the front end rides harsh because of the FSTB i have. it does flatten the car for sure through fast cars and so on but it makes the front very stiff. thats just my impression i've had it for a long while maybe 3.5 years. i may take it off to see if it's any better. i ordered the rear shorty links today so i'll let you all know the results after the install which will be a couple of weeks away, seeing as SCP is closed up till april 11. till then.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I have senstracs on the rear still, motorcraft up front. When I did sensatracs the car was higher for a couple days. Now they suck and I need rrplacements.
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in