Economics of a new LCA, does not pay to replace a ball joint - TCCoA Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: albany, ny
Posts: 1,170
Economics of a new LCA, does not pay to replace a ball joint

Using rockauto prices, a premium moog LCA cost $60. Has 3 components.

A moog ball joint cost $31, strut bushing $18 , Frame bushing $21. = $70

So they pay you $10 to get the arm! If you factor in any labor you are probably ahead by $100. Any labor operation seems to be a minimum of $50 around here.

The by the time a ball joint goes, the frame or shock bushings are usually toast too.

The only downside is the alignment.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
tbirdguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 03:30 PM
PostSlut
 
_95badbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Spring Texas
Age: 39
Posts: 13,597
thanks for the breakdown.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
_95badbird is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Veteran Poster
 
Sideoiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Me
Age: 81
Posts: 793
I like your math!

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Sideoiler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: albany, ny
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by white 97 lx View Post
I doubt the strut rod bushing comes with the arm though.
Nope, but the STRUT bushing does. I believe there was an arm for the SC that came with that too! It is discontinued.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
tbirdguy is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2009, 01:51 PM
6th Gear Poster
 
white 97 lx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Illinois
Age: 44
Posts: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
Nope, but the STRUT bushing does. I believe there was an arm for the SC that came with that too! It is discontinued.
yeah went and checked that just now, ur pretty quick lol. Maybe I should take the time to actually read what is typed .

teksid block with forged internals, MHS stage 2 heads and cams, 80 mm 03 Mustang MAF, Bullitt intake with Accufab oval throttle body, Kooks headers, 2.5 inch catless true dual exhaust, w/x pipe and Magnaflow Magnapacks, Dirty Dog 3000 stall marauder tq converter, BC automotive built 4R70w transmission ,MMX Dynotech Drive shaft, Trac loc differential with 3.73's, custom made fssb, and lecb, rear shock tower brace by Azzkickers, JL subframe connectors, Eibach 1.5" lowering springs, koni shocks, dyno tune by Tim Barth at Mr Norm's garage
white 97 lx is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:09 AM
PostWhore
 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vineland Ontario
Age: 40
Posts: 1,382
Send a message via AIM to Kevin
And, you can save the alignment by using a bit of spray paint PRIOR to removing the frame bushing bolt - you can reinstall in the same position by referring to where the adjuster plate was.

Have done just balljoints before, pain in the arse - will only do a control arm from now on.

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
Kevin is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
sdavis872's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Age: 28
Posts: 933
I just had my ball joints pressed out and new ones in and I had to get an alignment after. I really wish I would have had the whole LCA done, but the mechanic did just the ball joint because it was cheaper to do that. It was about $270 and he said it would have been about $350 for the LCA.
sdavis872 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: albany, ny
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
And, you can save the alignment by using a bit of spray paint PRIOR to removing the frame bushing bolt - you can reinstall in the same position by referring to where the adjuster plate was.

Have done just balljoints before, pain in the arse - will only do a control arm from now on.
Does anyone have issues with the camber frame bolts seizing in the bushings? Or do they usually slide out easily? One car came out easy, but I'm wondering if I'm pushing my luck!

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
tbirdguy is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
Does anyone have issues with the camber frame bolts seizing in the bushings? Or do they usually slide out easily? One car came out easy, but I'm wondering if I'm pushing my luck!

One of my Birds gave me no problems.

The other, unfortunately, did have seized bolts on both LCAs. Ended up having to cut them out.

It depends on your local rust factor and on how long the bolts have been in place.

If the bolts on both sides of your car have been in for approximately the same time, you'll probably be all right. Probably.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
TeflonJon is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: albany, ny
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeflonJon View Post
One of my Birds gave me no problems.

The other, unfortunately, did have seized bolts on both LCAs. Ended up having to cut them out.

It depends on your local rust factor and on how long the bolts have been in place.

If the bolts on both sides of your car have been in for approximately the same time, you'll probably be all right. Probably.
Guess I'll keep that harbor freight angle grinder in mind

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
tbirdguy is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:02 AM
PostWhore
 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vineland Ontario
Age: 40
Posts: 1,382
Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Just get a bigger hammer!

My rust bucket 92 fights me with every nut/bolt I try to remove - but they ALWAYS come off/out.

Problem with pressing out/in a new balljoint is that IF you take the LCA out of the car without marking the camber plates - you will need an alignment, may as well buy a new arm. Do it without removing the LCA = PITA, but no alignment needed.

My opinion - just mark where the plate was - no alignment needed.

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
Kevin is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: albany, ny
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Just get a bigger hammer!

My rust bucket 92 fights me with every nut/bolt I try to remove - but they ALWAYS come off/out.

Problem with pressing out/in a new balljoint is that IF you take the LCA out of the car without marking the camber plates - you will need an alignment, may as well buy a new arm. Do it without removing the LCA = PITA, but no alignment needed.

My opinion - just mark where the plate was - no alignment needed.
I'm beating a strut sleeve bolt now. I will probably have to move up to a larger hammer. I don't want to heat it too much because of the rubber stench.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
tbirdguy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome