Rear end links broke...is there a problem? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowride
Rear end links broke...is there a problem?

Put Vogtland springs on my '89 SC and had a new set of rear sway bar endlinks (shorted ones) put in and not even 6 months later....both of them broke!!! Found a couple of pieces in the driveway. Has there been any issues with materials that anyone has heard of ??? If not, then what would cause this to happen??

Thanks!

Slowride

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 04:33 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Interceptor
The rear endlinks on these cars aren't very robust. I've seen a setup made with spherical bearings but I don't recall where. It was a lot stronger than the stock type setup. You didn't mention if you had a larger rear bar. This would add to the stress placed on the endlinks too.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:40 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
If it broke both endlinks, something isn't right; the stress should have gone away when the first link broke.

Can you post a pic of the endlinks and the position of the swaybar?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

I replaced a broken set of Energy Suspension rear endlinks a month or so ago that were about 5 years old. I was jacking up the rear to patch a tire, and as I was jacking it up, the head of the drivers side endlink snapped off. I checked the passenger side and the head on it had already broken off, and looked like it had been broken for a couple months.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I've noticed this with my shortened endlinks:

The factory stock endlinks have a pivot on the end to allow the angle to change between the endlinks sway bar. The newer "shortened" links are simple bolts that run through the swaybar, no pivot. This works fine (on my car) till I jack the car up and the angle between the swaybar and the link gets extreme. Then the bolt that is the endlink bends. it hasn't broken yet, but I have replaced them twice now. I'm trying to think of a way to make shortened links that have pivots.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 05:36 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

The factory stock endlinks have a pivot on the end to allow the angle to change between the endlinks sway bar. The newer "shortened" links are simple bolts that run through the swaybar, no pivot. This works fine (on my car) till I jack the car up and the angle between the swaybar and the link gets extreme. Then the bolt that is the endlink bends. it hasn't broken yet, but I have replaced them twice now. I'm trying to think of a way to make shortened links that have pivots.
x2

-Maic

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
i haven't looked at it but an idea popped into my head. couldn't you take the swivel part off. IIRC the swivel is held on with one bolt and you could simple move and bolt it onto the shorter sway bar links.

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 07:01 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

May some like this, with the Factory EndLink Bracket on top to allow for movement.
I found a link to a company that makes a similar top part in various sizes and strength. I'm just don't know yet witch strength/size to go with.

-Maic

Maic.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAIC View Post
May some like this, with the Factory EndLink Bracket on top to allow for movement.
I found a link to a company that makes a similar top part in various sizes and strength. I'm just don't know yet witch strength/size to go with.

-Maic
i like those as they are fully adjustable one size fits all. only thing i dont like is that they look some what cheap.

2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 08:40 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_superbirdy View Post
i like those as they are fully adjustable one size fits all. only thing i dont like is that they look some what cheap.
..here is a Thump for you with the heavy duty version

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6404/thumbsdown50.jpg

-Maic

Maic.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Clueless Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAIC View Post
..here is a Thump for you with the heavy duty version

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6404/thumbsdown50.jpg

-Maic
...well i've already ordered the ones of scp.com so ill see what i can jerry rig together

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron K. View Post
I replaced a broken set of Energy Suspension rear endlinks a month or so ago that were about 5 years old. I was jacking up the rear to patch a tire, and as I was jacking it up, the head of the drivers side endlink snapped off. I checked the passenger side and the head on it had already broken off, and looked like it had been broken for a couple months.
speaking of which what is the correct part number for the energy suspension shorter sway bar endlinks?

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Slowride
INTERCEPTOR: Still using the stock sway bars.

GROG6: No pics to post, I only found 1/2 of one end link, 1 poly bushing, 1 spacer and 1 washer.

Like I said, I have no idea why this happened...maybe the shop that intalled them tightened them too tight. The next set I'll put on myself. I wouldn't think the stress on the endlinks would have increased with it being lowered, maybe if I used the stock ones...but the shorter ones should keep everything about the same, right? I know the stock style one's I put on the CAT two years ago are still in one piece. Thanks for the input guys. The pics of the end links with the swivel at the top look pretty descent...just not sure how strong the main bar/shaft would be with it being completely threaded like that.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!!!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:56 PM
Veteran Poster

This may sound like a stupid question, but if one of the end links are broken would this cause the passenger side rear end to bottom out on over-sized tires? Like 255/60/15's

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 04:24 PM
4th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideoiler View Post
This may sound like a stupid question, but if one of the end links are broken would this cause the passenger side rear end to bottom out on over-sized tires? Like 255/60/15's
The only thing the end link being broken should affect is corners. Is the rubbing only happen during left hand turns?

Normally for rubbing on the back, make sure you have the correct tire size and back spacing. If you want to fit a little more tire, roll the lip inside the fender up so it doesn't hit the tire.

Mike

1995 Thunderbird SC Terminator 6spd http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=89775
2006 F250 QuadCab Shortbox 4x4 6.0L- the I'm going to have to tow the T-Bird home when I break it vehicle.
1980 Dodge Mirada - Collecting tree sap at grandma's house - My first engine swap(s) - Slant 6 to 318 to 400
1973 Firebird Formula - Totaled - next in line after the T-Bird gets done. - Pontiac 350, 4spd, Ford 9", etc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in