Rear lower shock nut removal tip/tool - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Rear lower shock nut removal tip/tool

I didn't have to even lift the car to remove the rear shock. Problem is a regular ratchet is a tad too big to fit between the bolt and the body support unless the car is raised. It is a 7/8" nut, this tool will allow you to r/r without a jack! I needed some extensions. And you can always use it to change an o2 sensor! for $5 its a keeper!

Also, you do not have to remove the lower shock stud in the arm. It is probably permanently welded due to rust. Just spray your favorite penetrating oil on the bushing, loosen the nut in the trunk (you will need a locking pliers and a 14mm ratcheting or box wrench) and move around the shock a bit. The entire shock will slip off the bolt, the bolt stays in place.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97177

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-13-2009 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 11:48 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
Also, you do not have to remove the lower shock stud in the arm. Just spray your favorite penetrating oil on the bushing, loosen the nut in the trunk and move around the shock a bit. It will slip off the bolt, the bolt stays in place.
Are you saying that the lower shock mount will slide over the nut at the bottom, leaving the rubber bushing on the bolt?

It's not supposed to do that, IMHO.

I think you would have to ruin the bushing of the new shock to get it on, if I'm reading you correctly...

At least it didn't hit the floor when you put it on a lift...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Are you saying that the lower shock mount will slide over the nut at the bottom, leaving the rubber bushing on the bolt?

It's not supposed to do that, IMHO.

I think you would have to ruin the bushing of the new shock to get it on, if I'm reading you correctly...

At least it didn't hit the floor when you put it on a lift...

You do not have to ruin anything. The bushings stay where they are. The o2 sensor tool removes the shock bolt without lifting the vehicle.

To remove old:
Pull the shock from the bottom and it slides off the bolt with the bushing in tact. Tap the old shock a bit to break up the rust in the sleeve.

to put in new:

You compress the shock a bit and align it with the bolt. (you have to purge air anyway). Slide it on the bolt lower bolt and let the top go into the hole. You can also be creative here and use a floor jack or your strength to bring up the shock while it is placed in the top hole.

The stud on mine isn't going anywhere, and there is no need to suffer and take it out. No sense to remove that horizontal bolt, there is more than enuf room to get it on with a bit of an angle.. Of course if you live in Arizona it you are going to need a backup wrench on it when you loosen the nut. This is for salt belt states.

You do have to work with the tire on the ground though, ramps may help but I didn't need them. Its better this way anyway, cause like you said the arm is gonna shoot down if its not supported.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in