Steering wheel shake - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Steering wheel shake

Has anyone had this problem? Between the speeds of 20 and 50 my steering wheel rocks back and forth. No vibration over 60 mph. I had the tires balanced and rotated. Looking for ideas. The guy at the tire shop said my rims were out of round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo042005 View Post
The guy at the tire shop said my rims were out of round.
wow.

tierods sound like the culprit. any clunking?

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

No clunking. Car rides smooth except for the annoying steering wheel shake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Has anyone had this problem? Between the speeds of 20 and 50 my steering wheel rocks back and forth. No vibration over 60 mph. I had the tires balanced and rotated. Looking for ideas. The guy at the tire shop said my rims were out of round.
Bad rims = bad vibration.

How old are the tires? Sometimes the tires themselves go bad, and no amount of balancing will fix them.

Do you have factory or aftermarket rims?

The front suspension could cause some of what you describe, if it were bad enough, but generally this seems like a tire issue.

Since there is no vibration over 60... I wonder if it could be something outside the box. Power steering, perhaps... maybe the rack itself.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Factory rims. Tires are futura's. I dont know how old they are. Tread looks pretty good.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 06:38 PM
6th Gear Poster

To determine the age of a tire there is a stamped four digit or three digit code (if it was made before 2000). '1406' would mean the tire was manufactured the 14th week of 2006. '265' would correspond to the 26th week of 1995, or 1985 but if it was that old you'd be able to tell. This is only stamped on one side. This is a useful bit of information everyone should know (especially if you like to buy used tires).

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Factory rims. Tires are futura's. I dont know how old they are. Tread looks pretty good.
Well, you could try jacking the car up and spinning the tire, visually checking it for any signs of uneven treadwear or a slipped belt (which is usually a bulging area of tire). Last option is to also have a different shop inspect and balance the tires. Perhaps the first shop's equipment isn't up to snuff.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 10:09 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Also consider your rotors - they will be the culprit IF your rims are true, tires don't have shifted belts, and suspension components are fine.

Just changed my rotors+pads on the front after 11 years of ownership - shimmy went away.

Reason I knew it was rotors - tie rods were good, shimmy was present with summer AND winter wheels.

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 11:56 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Rotors for sure, when you hit the brakes, your engaging the calipers, if the rotors are warped, your steering wheel bounces side to side This bouncing increases with increased pressure on the brake pedal, it's a no-brainer

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 AM
PostWhore

But every time I've ever had a bad rotor, it only showed when applying some pressure to the brakes.

You said tires were rotated. Did moving the rears to the front not change it? If not, not likely wheels or tires unless all are bad.

Also, some people don't like weights on the outside in view. With wide tires if balanced statically putting all the weight on the inside only, you can induce shake which is why best to get them balanced dynamically.

Factory wheels? Offset is OK then.

Alloys? Not likely bent, the factory alloy wheels are very tough. Seen them break suspension in hits and not fase the wheel.

A combination of not enough caster and loose steering gear like a sloppy rack & pinion or bad wrag joint can do it, or a combination that includes the balance issue can cause it too.

My first guess is the balance technique used though.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in