ball joints? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

ball joints?

so iv been having some aweful clunking on my passenger side, it turns out on the upper control arm, the boot is torn and the ball joint i believe its called is done. also i can hear the wheel bearing grinding when i spin the tire, can anyone tell me how to replace the ball joint and boot and also the wheel bearing? iv read stuff about renting a ball joint pulling for the control arm? if i have to have the bearings done professionally not a big deal, anyone know the cost?

MAC CAI/02 STANG MAF/SCT CHIP TUNED BY LONNIE
EIBACH 1.5 LOWERING SPRINGS- BILSTEIN GAS SHOCKS
90 SUPERCOUPE SIDE SKIRTS/REAR
18x9-FRONT: 245 REAR: 275
PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok
new tune for swapped parts (93 oct)

no longer the owner.... but its still my child its just released into the world....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
The upper ball joints are non-separable from the control arm; you will need to buy a whole new upper control arm.

The UCAs aren't a big deal as far as replacement; pull the tire and place a small jack under the lower control arm. Jack it up an inch or so, just enough to take the strain off the UCA. Remove the nut from the pinch bolt, then use a hammer to knock out the pinch bolt (this can take a bit of work; I soaked the whole bolt with PB B'laster then used a crescent wrench to rock the square head of the bolt back and forth to loosen it up, then whacked it a few times, then repeated the whole process several times until it came out...). Once you get the pinch bolt out, knock the ball joint arm from the spindle with a hammer. Once that's removed, remove the two bolts holding the UCA to the shock tower, they're located inside the engine compartment (should be easy enough to find them). The front bolt shouldn't be too hard to get at, you might have to take off the air intake tube to get at it. As far as the rear bolt, I had it easy because I tore out my a/c lines to flush the system so I was able to get at it easy. Normally the a/c accumulator lives in the way... Luckily the nuts have a locking tab on them which only requires one hand/wrench to tighten or loosen them. Once you get the UCA out, the install should be self explanatory. When I did mine, it took me on the order of an hour to get it out... maybe 40-45 min. to get the new one in.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 04-24-2009 at 10:00 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

cool man, exactly what answer I was looking for.

now what about the wheel bearing? I believe that's what they are called

PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok

no longer the owner.... but its still my child its just released into the world....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:24 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
My wheel bearing went bad and I had to go to a shop due to being on the road. Firestone charged me under $70; tech said it's a simple bolt in.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
According to the factory service manual, the procedure for removing the wheel hub/bearing is this:

1) Raise vehicle on hoist.
2) Remove wheel and tire assembly.
3) Remove front hub cap grease seal from wheel hub and discard.
4) Remove two bolts from disc brake caliper assembly.
5) CAUTION: Do not let disc brake caliper assembly hang by the front brake hose. Remove disc brake caliper assembly and suspend with wire.
6) Mark front disc brake rotor and lug bolt to assure parts are reinstalled indexed in the same relative position (match mounted). Remove factory push-on nuts, if installed. Remove front disc brake rotor.
7) Remove front axle wheel hub retainer and discard.
8) Remove wheel hub. If assembly cannot be removed by hand, use Front Hub Remover/Replacer T81P-1104-C.

Installation:

1) Clean the spindle stem, including wheel bearing grease seal area.
2) Install wheel hub assembly.
3) Install new front axle wheel hub retainer and tighten to 255-345 N*m (188-254 lb-ft).
4) Install front disc brake rotor and push-on nuts. Make sure front disc brake rotor mark lines up with wheel hub bolt mark.
5) Install new front hub cap grease seal. Use appropriate tool so as not to damage or distort front hub cap grease seal.
6) Position disc brake caliper assembly on front wheel spindle.
7) Install front disc brake caliper retaining bolts. Tighten to 132 N*m (97 lb-ft).
8) Install wheel and tire assembly. Tighten lug nuts to 115-142 N*m (85-104 lb-ft). Do not use power tools, use torque wrench.
9) Lower vehicle.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 04-25-2009 at 05:51 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

cool guys thanks alot

PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in