Rear Shock options, Tokico, Cobra IRS. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Rear Shock options, Tokico, Cobra IRS.

So I lowered my car and am researching rear shocks.

Here is what I found.

First, The COBRA IRS shocks are a good option, and you can find replacements from Tokico now.
Tokico HE3751 are the listing I found for the Cobra IRS.

Koni
8041 1270Sport Is their answer for the IRS Cobra. $150 a piece approx.

For the Thunderbird applications:

Monroes, you can get the shocks for the 89-91 cars and they will have a shorter compressed length. Useful for lowered cars.
#5950 is the Sensatrac unit.
Otherwise, the stock height ones are #5965.
Pep Boys, Checker

Gabriel
69820 Is the Ultra for 98-91 cars, expected to be shorter compressed length. It has a high gas pressure. One of the best low priced shocks around.

Tokico Blue for the Bird
HE3690
I think these are the best shock you can get for less than $70 each. This shock is good for lowered cars also.

Koni
8041 1202Sport are adjustable and the best shock for you tweekers. At about $135 each they should be. This may be a good shock for lowered cars too.

I have never heard good things about KYB GR2 so I will not visit those parts.

Last edited by RichardM; 05-09-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Go Bilstein or go home.

You haven't done your research here very well. There's a sticky on the Bilsteins. lol

But, hey, if you wanna try something different or are on a limited budget at least you've found some other choices.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-09-2009 at 10:28 PM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Angry

Gee, I didn't realize that your need or opinion was the only one that mattered.

When you can hook me up with a Bilstein Front Shock I might go that route.
My first TBird had Bilsteins. They were great. But alas, not everything is as it was.

And yes, this was a catch all post. I basically listed everything BUT specific Bilstein information. It was for anyone who lowered their car.
Pennyless teenagers and rich *****es like yourself can now find part numbers for everything in the market I could find as of today.

BTW, I've been on this board 10 years+. Maybe you should stop pointing out the obvious and start being constructive. Maybe you would have noticed that with the sticky post you so astutely pointed to and MY post you basically have all the rear shocks available worth having.

I know all this information, I didn't realize you were going to be the only one to read my post or I would have just been redundant and said something like Cobra Bilsteins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:09 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Sorry Richard, no offense intended. My post was ment to be tongue-in-cheek. I should have made my reply more generic, perhaps something like "But, hey, if someone wants to try something different or they are on a limited budget at least you've found some other choices that they may consider."

I understand how you interpreted my reply as a personal attack and once again, I apologize.

No, you don't need my opinion and it's certainly not the only one that matters. But, seeing how this is a public forum and the title of your thread is "Rear Shock options, ..." I suggested the only option that you didn't mention.

As far as "stop pointing out the obvious and start being constructive." I'd like to thank you for taking the time to research the other options out there and posting them here for those who would like to know what else is available.

I doubt I was - or will be - the only one to read this thread. I just happened to be the first to reply to it.

Regards,
-Ron

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
My car isn't lowered but I've been quite pleased with the SensaTracs. At $35 a piece, how can you go wrong?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:58 AM
5th Gear Poster

Truthfully i didnt see Trunk as attacking you at all.

On that note I do agree with Trunk on this one Bilstein is the way to go. From what i understand though is that they have stopped making them for our cars... I could be VERY wrong but this is what i thought i had heard.

I do though have an extra Pair sitting in the garage, i was going to keep them for a back up pair but i may let them go.

This if referring to the set that works in the front and rear.

94 3.8 T-Bird Cardomain Sold to the junkman
1997 4.6L T-bird Laser Red HALO Headlight Conversion, Silencer Removed, Lowered Eibach 1 1/2inches, Bilstein Shocks, ART Catless Downtubes, Mandrel bent 2.5 Exhaust, Borla Mufflers, Mrk8 8.8 TL 3.73, 18x9 Black Saleens, BFGoodrich GForce Sport Comp-2 245/45/R18
2004 F-150 Single Cab 4.6
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I appreciate that I could have clearly stated that the info was in addition to the Sticky Bilstein thread, I will also tell you that this information is not consolidated anywhere else.
So stating that I hadn't done my research well is a direct conflict since it should be apparent in the data included in my post.
Likewise, personal attack or not, the post should stand alone as good information, that is what I take as a criticism.

Not every suspension setup is going to be "best" with a full set of Bilsteins.
In FACT, many early users of Bilsteins on Birds had custom compression and rebound.

No one shock can do it all. Why would you need adjustable Koni shocks if Bilsteins are so awesome?

Basing your whole decision on what you heard is fine, but I've had four of these cars and each one had a different suspension. I'd like to think that if you can now concentrate on what you want to acheive with your suspension can be improved by knowledge.

As an example, Sensa-Tracs are mentioned by someone above. I can tell you that rear Sensa tracs are a very good street improvement with stock SC springs. But with lowered Eibach springs, probably not.

So, I offered a summary of info for anyone to do with as they please because no one solution exists for every need.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:57 AM
PostWhore

I'm pretty happy with the Tokico Blues I put on the '92 when I lowered it about 1-1/2 inches.

Say those Gabriel Sensatracks are good? How are the fronts I wonder?

I have a set of springsfor the '95 I will use that will lower it about the same amount, I am looking at shocks for it, especially fronts while I am in there, the rears are so easy to do anytime. Springs are Sport Springs, 1 coil short in front, 5/8 coil short in back.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

For the first round I have a V6 car.
Rear coil is cut 1 and 1/2 coils from the top. I left the soft coils to keep the ride quality good. Really dropped the car BTW.
I got the Gabriel shocks for '89-91. Compressed length is right at 12" which will prevent bottoming out on the shock.
It is a gas charged shock and it works real well.
The rearend with the stock shocks was bouncy some and of course bottoming out was harsh.
The Gabriels are very nice ride and man the things tightened up the rearend in the turns. Feels very snug on the freeway.
For comparison the fronts are stock shocks with 2 coils cut off the bottom soft end to get rid of floatiness.
The fronts may need something better like the Gabriels or Sensatracs to be perfectly balanced. The front floats a little on the freeway compared to the rear now.

$25 each at Autozone, lifetime warranty.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 08:57 AM
2nd Gear Poster

I got a full tokico kit (shocks and springs, all 4 corners) for $375 shipped from Shox.com.

Sure you need to buy strut mounts for the front, but that's no biggie...

You could sell the lowering springs that come with the kit.... and the front shocks.

Last edited by wood_e; 05-12-2009 at 10:40 AM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 AM
PostWhore

Koni does have specific MN12 shocks as well, or at least they did ... had them in my 95, worked awesome for street and track.

cheers
Ed N.

95 T-Bird SC 5-speed -- SOLD!!
88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed
07 Mustang GT 5-speed with some stuff
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast Ed View Post
Koni does have specific MN12 shocks as well, or at least they did ... had them in my 95, worked awesome for street and track.

cheers
Ed N.
Konis effing rock! Ive had them on my car since '04.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to 1989superchicken Send a message via MSN to 1989superchicken
your forgeting the tokico illumnia 2's the are dam kick ass on the sc's
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
For the price of those tokico illumina 2's get konis.

I like the tokico springs more than the shocks.

-Matt
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 06:55 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989superchicken View Post
your forgeting the tokico illumnia 2's the are dam kick ass on the sc's
Until they go soft prematurely, and your car feels like a 65 instead of a 95. Took mine out after about 40,000 miles, and put Konis in ...

cheers
Ed N.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:18 PM
4th Gear Poster

I have a '96 Thunderbird with sport springs cut 1", Would yall suggest the cobra or thunderbird rear tokico blue shocks? I will still be running the sport shocks up front.

Or should I just do SensaTracs or KYB GR-2?

Thanks
JonFrank

Jon, 96 Thunderbird LX Sport
2004 Explorer PI, 02 GT MAF + Airbox, BBK 78mm TB, Marauder TC, Ceramic coated ported manifolds by Braincoating, 3.73 Trac lok, Cut Sport springs, SC side skirts
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:38 AM
4th Gear Poster

ttt

Jon, 96 Thunderbird LX Sport
2004 Explorer PI, 02 GT MAF + Airbox, BBK 78mm TB, Marauder TC, Ceramic coated ported manifolds by Braincoating, 3.73 Trac lok, Cut Sport springs, SC side skirts
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
It's up to you and what you can afford. Personally, I have and like the Cobra Bilsteins in the back with the sport shocks up front.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Tokico blues are junk, do Cobra Bilstiens and do it right.

-Matt
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to BubbaTheGodfatha
alright, so it finally come to that day, that day when i make a mental judgement and decided that after over 150,000 miles its definitely about time to replace my springs and shocks
in addition to finally gettin a 1" to 1.5" drop

after the research that i've done and the budget that i have, i've come to the conclusion that my ideal combo is going to be:

Eibach lowering springs
tokico blues (along with the purchase of shock mounts)
and all new bushings

this is basically the best budget-performance option i can think of right now
if anyones got any better ideas
LET EM' FLOW!!!!!!!!

I need that knowledge and this is the best place to come

The Cougar is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
It maketh me burnout on black pavements;
It leadeth me beside busy freeways;
It restoreth my soul;
It leads me in the path of quickness for its names sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for Torque art with me;
Thy rod and thy piston they comfort me.
Thou preparest a Track for me
in the presence of my enemies;
Thou hast anointed my bearings with oil;
My car overpowers.
Surely traction and victory shall follow me,
All the days of my life,
And I shall dwell in the house of the V8, Forever.
Amen

post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaTheGodfatha View Post
alright, so it finally come to that day, that day when i make a mental judgement and decided that after over 150,000 miles its definitely about time to replace my springs and shocks
in addition to finally gettin a 1" to 1.5" drop

after the research that i've done and the budget that i have, i've come to the conclusion that my ideal combo is going to be:

Eibach lowering springs
tokico blues (along with the purchase of shock mounts)
and all new bushings

this is basically the best budget-performance option i can think of right now
if anyones got any better ideas
LET EM' FLOW!!!!!!!!

I need that knowledge and this is the best place to come
Just wondering, why do you want the Eibach springs and Tokico shocks when you can get the whole package through Tokico (shocks and springs). If you're really on a budget you can go to suspensionmax.com and get the springtech 1.5" drop springs and KYB GR-2's for about $325 (I'm not sure about shipping) http://shop.suspensionmax.com/Shop/C...orLanding/true . IIRC Eibachs are like $250, and then the Tokicos are like another $250. The full Tokico set is around $420, and that way you know they are designed to work together, though I doubt you'll have a problem with the eibachs and the blues.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:36 PM

It's $399 from shox.com, with free shipping.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycop View Post
It's $399 from shox.com, with free shipping.
Good to know, because to get the stuff from suspensionmax.com after shipping would be just over $400, and I'd rather have the full Tokico kit.
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Poster

yeah, ive just heard really good things about Eibach, but the same time im not tryin to pay extra for a name.

im keeping the budget low because im not planning on havin my cougar for much more than a year. it was my first car and ive had it for 6 years, ive seen its ups and downs and i get pulled over way too much, so eventually ill be moving on to something else
but for the time being i want a decent upgrade

i actually saw that tokico kit and am startin to lean towrds that, make alot more sense givin my situation

I shall not want.
It restoreth my soul;
Yea, though I walk through the valley of rice, I shall fear no turbo, for Torque art with me;
My car overpowers.
All the days of my life,
Amen

post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavis872 View Post
Good to know, because to get the stuff from suspensionmax.com after shipping would be just over $400, and I'd rather have the full Tokico kit.
It took suspensionmax right around a month to get me the tokicos. Just beware of that, they have to have tokico ship them from kentucky out to their location in california, then they will send them your way. I would stick with shox.com.

95 Cougar XR-7
Sold it...

96 Thunderbird LX
Sold it...
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

KYB GR-2s are junk. Overall quality is all over the chart with them.
I would stay away from them at all costs.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
KYB GR-2s are junk. Overall quality is all over the chart with them.
I would stay away from them at all costs.
well if thats the case, what would you suggest.
again, im only planning on having the car for another year or so

I shall not want.
It restoreth my soul;
My car overpowers.
All the days of my life,
Amen

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaTheGodfatha View Post
well if thats the case, what would you suggest.
again, im only planning on having the car for another year or so
then why bother?

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 05:18 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
then why bother?
because as of right now, any inconsistencies in the road, over 45-50 mph, makes my steering wheel suddenly want to jolt out of my hands, to the left or right, unless i have it locked in a death grip

this is my only car and im a student puttin myself through school so a new car isnt an option right now.
Plus i friggen love my coug and it doesn't deserve to be ****canned yet
i just want to replace the suspension so i actually feel safe drivin it again

I shall not want.
It restoreth my soul;
My car overpowers.
All the days of my life,
Amen

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Shocks may not be your problem with the wheel jerking around.

More like ball joints or worn out strut rod bushings/arm bushings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in