my car thinks rear sway bar endlinks are tasty - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

my car thinks rear sway bar endlinks are tasty

I replace my rear sway bar endlinks a couple years ago and the bushing from my passenger side is already shot. Is this a symptom of something else that needs to be replaced? like springs or something? Should I just replace the endlink and hope it doesn't happen again?

Seth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:54 PM
6th Gear Poster

Its not an indication of other problems. Sometimes things fail before they should, especially if it was a cheaper parts store replacement. I actually snapped a napa 'premium' link at the weld awhile back (lasted 2 months). I just replaced it and it has been fine. If I break another I'll probably get the shorter links I 'should' have anyway. If I were you I'd just replace it or just the bushings if the lower ones were the ones at fault.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:54 PM
6th Gear Poster

I have the same issue as you. I used a cheap brand and the rubber is already shot. I have some new ones that I am about to put on. I bought the cheap ones again as these are very easy to replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Are the replacements you're using a solid bolt with no "pivot" in them like the stock units? I've replaced the stock units with shorter aftermarket units (my car is lowered) and the new ones don't have the pivots. When the car is jacked up in the back and the rear suspension is fully extended, the bolts are forced to bend. I haven't had any problems with them, but it does look bad. On the plus side, its really just a bolt with bushings, spacers, washers and a nut. I can probably buy a new grade 8 bolt of the right size and length and still use all the other hardware.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:53 AM
4th Gear Poster

Don't overtighten them either as this will cause them to break early (I found out this the hard way after breaking two sets on my old Linc.) They just need to be snugged to about 10 lb-ft...

Ϣr

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
4.6L DOHC; meter4it.com chase/sequential tail lights; 20" Giovanna Dalars; 4.30 gears; FRPP Track-Lok; SCT tuned; Baumann ReCal; Addco bars; Cobra brakes...

RIP - '86 Mark VII LSC
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I have accelerated rear link wear. My links are the ones that have a "pivot" point (with bushing) at the top, stud on bottom. Looks like I can remove the eye that it pivots in, and install a regular bolt+poly bushing one. How long do those things last? Right now I have home-made bronze rear swaybay link bushings, they work but I can tell are wearing out on visual inspection. So whats the deal with the long bolt end links?
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in